QI

• 734 posts
    November 13, 2011 2:04 AM GMT

I'm a fan of QI and love the programme for it's mix of intellect and humour. I've just started watching the latest episode on iplayer and was very disquieted by the opening sequence on transgendered people. I found the comments by the panel to be very belittling and insulting. Maybe I'm being a little over sensitive, I'll watch the opening minutes again tomorrow to see if I still feel the same ...

• November 13, 2011 10:56 AM GMT

For anybody interested in viewing this, it is available from BBC iPlayer at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0178772/hd/QI_Series_I_Inland_Revenue/

The clip which Rae was talking about starts at around 2mins 45 seconds into the video.

Personally, I didn't find it too offensive but I can understand that some people would be.

This post was edited by Former Member at November 13, 2011 1:39 PM GMT
  • November 13, 2011 12:21 PM GMT

I thought it was ok.... maybe Alan Davies laughed at it a bit too much? but loved the joke about what the equivalent would be in England....Morris Dancers!

Incidentially, I was really pleased to hear Sandi Toksvig refer, in her joke/statement about the man about to go to work talking to HER mother and putting on HER shoes and referring to her as SHE etc! That was nice!

• 146 posts
    November 14, 2011 10:32 AM GMT

I think its worth seeing this again,When I saw this first time,there was a bit of shock for me. Now Having looked at it again twice.Overall OK

- Steven Fry did well to point factually about the plight of the Hijra, and vulnerability in Pakistan[ well at least might have prompted some people to look this up and become more informed]

-On the Broadcast programme Interestingly There was An Audience Silence , when the main Photo came on Screen. I thought this was good, if there had been laughter then I would be very upset.Maybe many people were not sure how to react .

-its an entertainment show also , and I agree Alan Davies maybe laughed at it bit too much ..but maybe he was acting out his prescribed role.

- I found it interesting that Hijra is also the name for Mohammeds Journey

- I often like Sandi Toksvigs Humour as its  very observational,and witty and not Noticeably Offensive.  

• 734 posts
    November 24, 2011 9:58 PM GMT
    Indeed. I think I was being (quite) uncharacteristically sensitive ...