Transgender Woman Wins Case for Facial Feminization Surgery

• November 16, 2011 8:34 PM GMT

The Transgender Legal Defence and Education fund recently took up a case for a transgender woman who wanted FFS and was refused short-term disability leave benefits because her insurance company argued that this surgery was elective and not medically required.

The TLDEF won the case against her insurance company and she was allowed her claim.

Full report here:-

http://transgenderlegal.org/headline_show.php?id=369

• 25 posts
    November 17, 2011 8:27 AM GMT

Brilliant article, if only we could now get the NHS in the UK to do FFS for free...

This post was edited by Melissa Milner at November 17, 2011 8:27 AM GMT
  • December 6, 2011 5:58 PM GMT
    Thank you Carol that is Great news for those of us just getting started
  • December 6, 2011 11:03 PM GMT
    Melissa the NHS does do FFS. just ask for it like I did.
    • 25 posts
    December 6, 2011 11:10 PM GMT
    Wow, really? Can you give more details? I have been told that because they consider it to be a self-chosen cosmetic procedure they wouldn't fund it!
  • December 6, 2011 11:14 PM GMT
    I think it would be one of those post code lottery type of case Melissa - some might, some definitely wouldn't.
  • December 7, 2011 7:33 AM GMT
    ignore the post code lottery nonsense and remind the local nhs or get a lawyer to do so that the Van Kuck v Germany 2003 verdict in the ECHR has to be implemented in UK by NHS and it says you have to have the surgery you need.
    why do you think you need FFS as your pix looks fine?
    • 25 posts
    December 7, 2011 7:53 PM GMT

thanx Rose, and I have been approached by a lot of guys over the last few months, (shame cos I like women), a number of whom have been shocked to find out I'm trans, but I still get referred to as 'he' in some shops sometimes without me even speaking to anyone, (happened a couple of days ago), so a few tweaks would make things easier. Bit of bone off the jaw, bit of excess skin off my eyelids. Would also like some cheek bones, lol! (I hardly have any.) Guess some of it is down to body shape. (I'm a 38b.) My body shape has changed from male to female over the past 3.5 yrs I've been on Oestrogen, but like I say, I still get the occasional 'he' or 'that's a guy' references. x

This post was edited by Melissa Milner at December 7, 2011 7:58 PM GMT