Anybody Tried Eflora?

• 10 posts
    November 18, 2011 9:35 AM GMT

Hi, I'm thinking about buying some Eflora to help reduce my beard growth.  However, I'd like to run is past you gals first.  Has anyone tried this alrerady?  Is it safe?  What were the results like and were there any side effects?  Thanx, April   xxxxx

This post was edited by April Donoghue at November 18, 2011 9:39 AM GMT
    • 134 posts
    November 26, 2011 8:44 PM GMT
    save up for laser! dont waste your money on any of these quack remedies!
    • 434 posts
    November 27, 2011 2:11 AM GMT
    If there was something like that on the market that actually worked as well as they stated ... it would become as common as coca cola in the stores and everybody would know it worked well
    • 1652 posts
    November 27, 2011 12:49 PM GMT
    You girls should perhaps do a little more research before automatically slagging off what you think are "quack remedies".
    Eflora, active ingredient eflornithine, other brand name Vaniqa, is available in the UK by prescription only and only to women. That of course includes transitioning TS's.
    I've been using it for several years and yes it does work. It slows hair growth on the face (does not claim to stop it entirely), so you still need to remove the hairs, but less frequently. I know a few people who use it including myself, for all of us, after time hairs become fine and pale - downy hair. Dark hairs are now very rare for me; one may start to appear every few days, which is promptly taken care of. I haven't shaved for about 6 years, and now use tweezers to pluck these occasional dark hairs, as well as the finer, almost invisible downy hair mostly under my chin when it seems to be getting too prolific.
    I've found it to be an excellent way of dealing with facial hair, I no longer have the dreaded shadow that is such a give-away and so hard to effectively cover up. I no longer have stubble (which would surely make any "overnight guest" run away screaming in the morning), or shaving rash of course. Make-up is now considerably easier to apply, and no longer entirely essential. In short, it’s enabled me to live a normal female life.
    Having said all that, I would prefer to have electrolysis, but as well as the expense, the distance I would have to travel prohibits this. My GP tells me our PCT won't fund electrolysis, which seems pretty daft as it would surely work out cheaper in the long run; if you stop using eflornithine the hair will start to grow back, though perhaps in my case after this long some of the follicles may have been irreparably damaged. So for now I am reasonably happy with having to apply the cream daily, and with a decent pair of tweezers and high magnification mirror plucking is not such a chore as it was in the early days.
    You can buy it online but it is terribly expensive and perhaps this is the reason why it is not better known. I would advise anyone who can to have electrolysis instead, unless like me you can get it on prescription. I pay about £100 pounds a year for a pre-payment prescription card, so anything I add to my regular hormones prescription is effectively free.
    Incidentally I've tried laser (£1800's worth) and it didn't work; there was a slight reduction but it wasn't permanent. Electrolysis is tried and tested and will always work, but eflornithine is a valid and viable alternative, not a quack remedy!
    xx
    This post was edited by Lucy Diamond at November 17, 2014 5:48 AM GMT
  • November 28, 2011 1:04 AM GMT
    And thats why Lucy manages this forum xxXxx
    • 746 posts
    November 28, 2011 3:02 AM GMT
    And I'll add that 87 hours of electrolysis in the past 3 months has effectively eliminated my shadow and that shaving is now a "lost art"! (smile) I am not stubble free, but I continue to spend 3-6 hours as needed per week in eliminating the stuff. Like Lucy, I do not need make up anymore other than what I might apply to my eyes, lips, and cheeks...foundation, when used, really works as it should now! No more "cake face"!
    And I met a woman at my tech's shop who spent close to $8,100 US having her face and body lasered only to end up getting electrolysis 4 years later as she claimed all her hairs came back, plus some! Yikes!!!