Profile Photo Vetting

• 2127 posts
    December 29, 2011 4:10 PM GMT

Hi, you may remember that a while back we were considering introducing a profile photo approval system, like the one we had on our previous site.  Well at the time the consensus was that we didn't need it.

However, in recent weeks there seems to have been a noticeable increase in the number of offensive pictures which are being uploaded as profile photos so I wonder if we should discuss this again.

It will cost money to have the system created but it will be money well spent if it prevents offensive photos from being displayed on our front page.  The idea is that when a user uploads a new profile pic, it goes into a holding area until one of our forum moderators is able to approve it (or not).

What does the team think?  Over to you...

Hugs, Katie   x

• 214 posts
    December 29, 2011 5:05 PM GMT
    Hi Katie, Im afraid this may be the way we have to go, I have only been mod for 2-3 weeks and have had 2 photos posted - the first was full front nude, but give him his due he quickly removed it when asked, and i have just sent a pm to katie halliday and asked her to change the one of her sucking a black "lolipop" - this was perhaps a borderline case but still not good as profile pic.
    Regards
    Rosie xxxx
    • 2358 posts
    December 29, 2011 6:39 PM GMT
    Hiya Katie, The instances of inappropriate piccies has been few and far between since the launch of the new site. Most of them have been taken off after being given suitable advice, the problem then seems to be a minority that don't take the advice, leave and go to a site that caters for what they are looking for, and their tasteless foot print is left behind. Rosie and the other forum mods are doing an excellent job in bringing these to our notice, but the picture/profile reporting system seems ineffectual, its no reflection on anyone, but the ability to edit/hide wall posts and pictures should perhaps be shared, as in the forums where mods can hide/edit pictures, As was the case in the recent spoof profiles, which in a very short time did untold damage and caused upset and hurts to several members.
    • 214 posts
    December 29, 2011 7:34 PM GMT
    Hi again Katie,I've been thinking since my last post about this, im not sure how many welcome posts i made up to 21 dec but it must be about 15 - 20, as of 22 dec i have been keeping a daily count and to date have welcomed another 38 new members , with 2 questionable pics so that is approx 4% which seems not too bad, hope this helps.
    Rosie xxx
  • December 29, 2011 8:55 PM GMT
    Cristine, Shye (Forums Admin) said:
     but the picture/profile reporting system seems ineffectual, its no reflection on anyone, but the ability to edit/hide wall posts and pictures should perhaps be shared, as in the forums where mods can hide/edit pictures, As was the case in the recent spoof profiles, which in a very short time did untold damage and caused upset and hurts to several members.

I agree. It would be good if more Mods/Admin had the power to remove/hide iffy pics as soon as they appear

• 2573 posts
    December 29, 2011 9:20 PM GMT
    It takes only a little disaster to spread a bad image. Remember PayPal
    • 65 posts
    December 29, 2011 9:31 PM GMT
    i agree in principle but worry it may put off members who have to wait for new pics to be shown. offensive and derogetory pics should be vetoed i agree.
  • December 30, 2011 12:12 PM GMT
    Pictures would not need to wait until a vetting procedure had taken place if all (or even a selected few) had the option to hide an image if it were displayed on the front page - and then deleted or unhidden once the image had been forwarded to Katie for scrutiny and final say.
    • 746 posts
    December 30, 2011 12:36 PM GMT
    how about a limit to the number of pix posted to the home page? Seriously, content and good dialogue has been lacking for quite a while while the front page has been filled with "Jane likes Mary" and far too many profile pix. I do know that that sparked the recent "issue" resulting in all the turmoil. what do you think??? A page in the second "layer" allowing all the pix people would want to post, and maybe a column in a box on the front page stating "Mary posted a new pic" in the column? I think it would sooo reduce the clutter on the home page and make it a useful destination again. Traci xoxo
    • 746 posts
    December 30, 2011 12:38 PM GMT
    And make a box on the front page for all the "friendships". I mean, out of the 50 new friends or so, how many really maintain this bond? I view it as cluttering the front page as much as the pix...
    • 1652 posts
    December 30, 2011 3:19 PM GMT
    Katie, the old system of mod's approving profile pics worked fine, and there are enough active mod's now for photos to be approved quickly. Many other sites have this system in place, on some you have to wait for days until the new photo appears, no-one will mind.
    I agree that seeing who is now friends with who on the front page is unnecessary clutter.
    xx
  • December 30, 2011 4:43 PM GMT
    Katie I'm with Traci Lee and Lucy, the Home Page is just "is friends with", and "hello and welcome" which in itself is fine, but to me gives the impression of that's all there is when there's a shedload in the forums going to waste.
    • 2358 posts
    December 30, 2011 5:54 PM GMT
    The forums are a means of retaining information and postings, the comments on the home page, friends with friends etc, is only short term, so important and interesting posts should be made in the relevant forum, where people can read back. We are trying to get the Feature articles back up and running on the home page and more TG news updates, from around the world. The latest threads and posts to the forums are listed on the home page.
    • 2627 posts
    January 12, 2012 6:53 PM GMT
    I think the Mods being able to hide pics is a good idea. At least until a new system can be installed.
    Don't know what it would take to be able to only have select stuff post on the front page.
    Like new members, forum post, & blogs. This who's friends with who stuff, glad to see so many getting along but so what.