Prostate Health

• 28 posts
    January 10, 2012 12:34 AM GMT

When using hormones for transitioning male to female are there any concerns regarding maintaining prostate health.

My father very recently passed due to prostate cancer and thus it may be familial.

During earlier escapades in my life I read that abstinence from ejaculation (sorry) was detrimental to prostate health.

Does anyone have any information regarding this issue please.

• 1652 posts
    January 10, 2012 2:02 PM GMT
    One of the drugs that is regularly prescribed to TS's in the UK is Finasteride. It's not a hormone but is used to halt or slow the process of male pattern baldness (but not reverse it). Its main use though is to treat prostate problems (BPH) by shrinking the prostate. Although studies have shown that it reduces incidences of prostate cancer, the FDA have added a warning about the risk of cancer because the shrinkage of the prostate could possibly mask the early detection of prostate cancer.
    I'd hazard a guess that prostate problems are fewer among m2f's than "regular" males.
    As for the abstinence thing, I've no idea. I feel though that no-one should deny themselves the most basic human needs and pleasures. I've heard many m2f's who seem to have some guilt over enjoying sexual pleasure as it inevitably involves their "male parts". I never liked those bits being there, but you might as well put them to some use and get some enjoyment out of them while you have them! Celibacy does not make you any more of a woman.
    xx
  • January 10, 2012 8:36 PM GMT
    Just before i informed my GP of my wishes to transition, i had terrible trouble going to the loo, up at all hours of the night etc, so i had a prostate check done and it was apparently swollen.

Now the next week or so i had a real breakdown and visited the GP again to inform her of my need to transition, upon hearing this news suddenly any talk of my swollen prostate became very uncomfortable for the GP, and i had been left with the feeling she thought i had made it up to get a cheap thrill.

I am still really angry over this episode and cannot ask for any further updates due to me feeling totally embarrassed by the whole thing.
    • 28 posts
    January 10, 2012 10:12 PM GMT
    Thank you for the replies.First though I'm so sorry to hear of the way your doctor treated you Amber.That is just awful.I wish you all the best in finding a more understanding human to assist you from now on.Don't give up hope,please.
    As for Finasteride shrinking the prostate;good information and again thank you Lucy.I'll make sure to insist on a blood draw for PSA levels.Abstinence makes the heart grow stronger.I know misquoted.LOL.
  • January 11, 2012 11:37 PM GMT
    Thank you Collette, and sorry to hear about your father, time heals xx
  • January 12, 2012 7:35 PM GMT
    I was glad when the estrogen stopped my bits working but then I started having sudden weird pains in my back entry acoompanied by peeing out masses of blood and mush - I say I had lack of use blockages as though the sex drive went the glands woudl stil be producing secretions but not getting the opportunity to secrete until things got bad and burst out.
    Ikept telling doctors and uros that the bllood and mush came before the pee but they couldn't explain it and just asaid I had kidney stones.
    • 95 posts
    January 19, 2012 5:34 PM GMT
    Does anyone know about the effects of estrogen? I have read online that it possibly DOES cause prostate enlargement and precancer cells. I don't know the statistics but apparently men with prostate cancers often have high estrogen levels. I don't trust the info I get off the internet though. This topic I've had my own concerns about as I'm in my 40's now and planning on starting hormones this year. Thanks for the post Collette. It is a good thing to think/talk about. xoxo
    • 1652 posts
    January 19, 2012 6:07 PM GMT
    Estrogen is probably more likely to shrink the prostate rather than enlarge it.
    xx
    • 364 posts
    January 19, 2012 9:39 PM GMT
    I agree with Lucy re estrogen shrinking the prostate. However it does not prevent prostate cancer so regular checks are advisable

• 28 posts
    January 19, 2012 10:09 PM GMT
    I have my Doctors appointment on Wednesday so I'll get my PSA levels checked then .And a rectal more than likely.Asian doctors ;no stopping them.LOL.Thorough though.I will post about any adverse results here if that is allowed.
    • 308 posts
    January 24, 2012 4:38 AM GMT

I am so glad to see a concern about this. Like everyone has stated, the meds they give you, will shrink the prostate to a point, and they claim reduces cancer by I believe they said 30% Good side of these meds, T blockers and alpha blockers, wow did I lose a lot of hair...smile...

But down to the serious point, my dad died of this also, the meds did not do enough shrinkage for myself, I am 65 yrs old though and I had to have two surgeries,  The on going problems are that I have a nodule there which they are watching.

Enough of this about myself, I hope things go well for you, your young and taking care of things with the proper medical testing. Some TS friends of mine that have been on mones for quite some time stated to me that the prostate was very small, but this does not rule out cancer.

Just one more fact, a PSA count that is low does not necessarily mean your alright, as I thought. Mine was under a one, what makes urologist concerned is what they call velocity of the PSA, or change. A count of two does not worry them but when it suddenly jumps from under a one to a 2 1/2, it is time to worry. That is why a track history can save your life.

Huggs Tammy

• 28 posts
    January 24, 2012 9:14 PM GMT
    Tammy,what a wonderful reply to this post.I am so sorry to hear that you have already had issues in this area.Hopefully it will be kept under control.By the way there is a very good diet which helps with the control of this.It can be found at the prostate cancer web site.At one point my dads' PSA dropped from 350 down to 8 with the diet and the medications.
    P.S. you look lovely.
    Love and hugs Collette Michelle.
    • 308 posts
    January 25, 2012 3:30 AM GMT
    Thanx Collette, I will take a look at that diet. I am on a very strict diet now but anything that helps will be of great value.
    Tammy
    • 308 posts
    January 25, 2012 5:33 PM GMT
    Collette, I had to do some research into the UK testing program concerning PSA values, and it seems that you have different standards there than here. I was startled when you said your dad was at 350. I thought wow, but here in the states the values are from 1-10 and 10 you are in bad shape. As I researched, I found some vales in the UK can be much higher, interesting, but then the European medical system seem to be way ahead of the US.
    Tammy
    • 28 posts
    January 25, 2012 11:12 PM GMT
    Sad that we aren't universal with medical care..values etc.My Dad was in Canada.The oncologist was very happy with 8.
    By the way I just had my doctors appointment and she confirmed the prostate has shrunk.Blood work in the AM (fasting) and PSA included.
    • 308 posts
    January 26, 2012 4:19 AM GMT
    I am truly so glad your on top of this Collette, especially with your family history.
    Huggs to you girl, best of luck in your journey. My regret is that history, is not what it is today, things might be totally different for my age group. But then, I made my own choices, you go girl.
    Tammy