Sean Bean takes on trans role for BBC drama

• January 12, 2012 2:37 PM GMT

The BBC has announced Sean Bean will play a transgender character in an episode of its legal drama Accused.

Ben Stephenson, Controller of Drama Commissioning at the BBC, said the character would appear in the third episode of the second series, to be filmed later this year.  He told the Broadcasting Press Guild: “He’s playing a transsexual, a brilliant story, untold I think on mainstream television”.

Bean said: “I’ve wanted to work on a Jimmy McGovern drama for a while and I think this cracking script really delivers a powerful, emotional drama for the audience.”

Bean is set to play an English teacher known as Simon who has a female identity, Tracie, in the show, which features a different story in each episode.
    Tracie’s search for love is reported to lead to a “terrible crime of passion”.

Full story at:- http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/01/12/sean-bean-takes-on-trans-role-for-bbc-drama/
    Also by the Daily Telegraph:- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9009224/Sean-Bean-takes-on-transsexual-role.html#disqus_thread

This post was edited by Former Member at January 12, 2012 4:40 PM GMT
  • January 12, 2012 2:42 PM GMT
    So, tough guy Sean Bean has been cast in this role, which could make for a very interesting story and probably far more realistic than Hayley Cropper from Coronation Street. This will definitely be one to follow but I wonder just how he will be portrayed - I just hope in a good light or it could do a vast amount of damage to all the progress that has been made in the last decade.
  • January 12, 2012 3:46 PM GMT
    It's written by Jimmy McGovern so it should be a top drama. It would be nice to see a TG character in a strong positive role. Sean Bean in a dress. It's a big departure from his usual macho roles.
  • January 12, 2012 7:40 PM GMT
    OMG! Transcrap to appeal to the couch potatoes!
    Any bean of the monotonous voice.
    • 19 posts
    January 12, 2012 8:20 PM GMT
    Wow Ned Stark is playing a T-tgirl, the true sign of a good actor is their ability to pick diverse roles. Bravo Sean Bean
    • 3 posts
    March 14, 2012 10:37 PM GMT
    <3 sean bean

watch out napoleon