Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Creative Writing » Playwright looking for help...

Playwright looking for help...

Tags : None
  • Hello all!

I am a young gay actor/writer who has, over the past year, developed a female character for myself to perform (I am male). The character is a comedy rapper and I decided to film a spoof music video for her song. Whilst filming in public (in London and Newcastle, UK) I was subjected to numerous instances of verbal abuse - one instance involved two young girls (about 10 years old) shouting "f@*king tranny" at me whilst their parents watched and laughed! I was shocked at how prevalent such abuse is and how nobody did anything to stop it happening. I was horrified to think how awful it must be to be treated like that on a regular basis. 

This, along with a number of other things, got me thinking and I have now decided to write/devise a piece of theatre about issues surrounding gender concepts and transgenderism. I am particularly interested in the concept of wanting to break free from the constraints of one's body. I am also interested in hearing stories about any abuse that has been inflicted upon people as a result of their trans or cross-dressing status.

I appreciate this is a highly personal subject and, as such, I can assure anyone kind enough to open up to me that all responses will remain anonymous if they get used in the final piece of theatre. 

If you do feel comfortable to share such things with me, then please answer the question below:

1) Please describe the relationship you feel you have to your body (both clothed and naked)

2) Please describe any instances of verbal/physical abuse you have suffered as a result of you being transgendered or cross-dresser.

3) Any inspiring/positive stories surrounding these issues.

Thank you in advance for any answers you give.

D x
      January 26, 2012 9:50 AM GMT
  • Constant stream of transphobia on telly brainwahsed the great unwashed so this experience of your si no stranger to us.
    Doubt if your project will get anywhere unless you alter the angle to make it nasty and transphobic.
    Incidentally you could have called the police and have girls and parents arrested for Hate Crime. do that next time you perform in rhe street.
      January 29, 2012 8:47 PM GMT
  • Hi David, It's not surprising that that happened. Most people confuse Gender Identity (One of the main issues Transgendered peope are dealing with), Sexual preference and Gender presentment.

In the entertainment industry, the fact that transgendered people are truly struggling with their identity is lost, as the stereotypical "Drag Queen" approach is taken to represent a class of people trying to work out a base fundimental aspect of their lives. In today's culture, it is not acceptable to make fun of someone in a wheel chair or missing a leg, but people believe it is ok to chastize someone who is trangendered.

For me, I've not had verbal abuse from anyone except 1 person. For the most part my friends, family and neighbors accept me regardless of gender. However, that one person who doesn't accept me,  has told me -  "It's the work of the devil", "I can't get my mind around it" and the proverbial "It's just not normal".

It's funny how I can be out and about in restaraunts, stores, parks, movies and not have anyone say anything. But when I'm around this one person, they feel the need to attack verbally. I hope that as you develop your character (and story) that you choose to take the high road and treat the subject with care.

Respectfully,

Michelle Lynn

This post was edited by Former Member at January 30, 2012 10:25 PM GMT
      January 30, 2012 10:21 PM GMT