Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Make-Up Tips » 8 Secret Weapons Used by Beauty Pros

8 Secret Weapons Used by Beauty Pros

Tags : None
  • Hi everyone, I thought it might be a good time to review some good makeup techniques, some that I use and some maybe you use and could share with us. I think I may of posted this link before, but what the heck, it's worth another go.

Two of the secrets that are in this link I do not use, one is a cream blush, never could get it to do what I wanted, and a color corrector as they state in the article. I use a foundation that is a blend to match my skin under tones, something we all should know what that color is to get a good foundation finish. My skin is ruddy, so my foundations are matched to get the best out come. To cover blemishes and such, I use Bisque from Bare Minerals to cover those pesky little spots. And PLEASE EXFOLIATE with which ever product out there you may find works best. We need a clean and smooth canvass to start off with, so the dead skin cells do not interfere with the out come of the foundation. I use PROX from Olay, which is applied with there rotary applicator. I do use something else with this and it works very will for me, but for now I will keep it a secret....smile....really the reason is many will think it bazaar an to simple, but it works for me and also reduces brown skin damage from the sun, we all have it in our bathroom...smile again...is this a baited statement?

Well check out the link.....Tammy

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2009/03/beauty-8-secret-weapons-used-beauty-pros

<p>A life without purpose, is a life without reason!</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;myspace.com/tammybrianne</p>
      January 28, 2012 4:04 AM GMT
  • Lippy, mascara, blusher, a lot of looking in the mirror.... and more lippy!
      January 28, 2012 9:23 AM GMT
  • Wow Heather, I wish I could use that product ( lippy), I think your referring to lip gloss. it does not matter what I try, lip pencils, etc, I always end up bleeding out of the lip line...sigh...I guess the lips are not what they used to be...LOL
    Thanx...Tammy
    <p>A life without purpose, is a life without reason!</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;myspace.com/tammybrianne</p>
      January 28, 2012 7:07 PM GMT
  • Hey Tammy,

Cool post, some good tips in there. I've been using the white eye-liner trick for years - rather than tiredness, it has the effect of opening up your eyes giving you a more wide-eyed innocent look - use it on the inside of your eye-lids the tear line, make sure you gently pull your eye-lid away from your face though or you'll get it in your eye!

I use a non perfumed soap and water to clean my brushes, I guess its the same as a baby shampoo. I also use pure alchohol (you can get it from good professional makeup shops and I'm sure you can get it from chemists too) although you shouldn't use it too often with real hair brushes as it dries them out.

With your lips, you need to use a pencil to line them but leave a couple of milimetres in the corners of your mouth. Lip liner is only really to draw the outline of your lips and specifically meant to stop your lipstick bleeding. If your lips aren't in great shape anymore, be it wrinkles or stubble or little 'subble bumps' in your skin, as much fun as it is to draw on bigger lips than you have, make sure you only draw the liner at the edge of your actual lips, not on your face, that should help prevent them from bleeding too. Apply your lipstick to your lips but not too far inside your mouth or you will get it on your teeth. Gently blot your lips by biting down with your lips onto a bit of tissue. If you are using gloss instead, or over the top of your lipstick, just don't go too crazy with it and it should stay put.

It sounds like you've got your foundation sorted Heather but if you have a ruddy complexion you can use green underneath your foundation as green counteracts red. It might sound insane but its a professional technique. There are various colour foundations (orange ones as well to counteract blues and blacks of beard and stubble shadow) from the likes of Derma Blend and Kroyoan theatrical makeup. Apply it with a sponge or a foundation brush only to the areas of strong colour you are trying to counteract. Then apply loose powder with a puff and brush off. Frankly if you have a good matt green eye-shadow you can use that instead of the professional cremes. Apply it with a brush or a powder puff for your pink/ redest bits and then apply your foundation over the top.

I hope this helps.

By the way, I've coincidentally started my own makeup tips blog (on Friday!) but mine is specifically for transgender makeup, fell free to have a look and let me know your thoughts; stylemequirky.com

Pops x
      January 29, 2012 8:04 PM GMT
  • Thanx Poppy,
    I am going to check out your site for sure.
    I like your lip tips..sort of has a rhyme to that, but anyhow, I use a lip lock wax that keeps my lips from bleeding with normal lipstick, but when ever I use lip gloss, wow what a disaster half way through the nite, but then I am 65, I can't ask for to much. Also I found that on the first application of lipstick, I use a brush, it works so much better for long coverage.
    I use a white liner on the inside of my eye but not quite as deep as you note, I will give it a try, and go into the tear line a little more...good tip girl.
    Huggs Tammy
      January 30, 2012 5:29 AM GMT
  • Hey Tammy,
    Glad you found the tips of use :o)
    It certainly sounds like you are pretty experienced when it comes to makeup.
    Lip gloss IS a disaster lol! Much as I love it, I rearly wear it becuase your wig gets stuck to it and then drags it across your face - not very practical for an 'action tranny' like me!
    I use the white eyliner generally for sissy / cutsey looks, the rest of the time I use black on the inside of my tear line all the way across the bottom eye lid. oI also carefully pull up my top eye lid and do the edge of the lid just inside the eyelashes but only on the outside 3rd of the lid. Then I do eye liner the normal way across the top of the eye lid and finally along the bottom outside 3rd of the underneath of your eyelid. Using black in this way will give you super, super intense eyes! Gosh it takes a lot of typing to describe makeup techniques lol!
    Have fun and try not to draw all over your eyeballs like I did when I tried it the first few times! If you get it in your eyes, have some cotton buds (I think you Americans and Canadians call them 'cue tips') close by and pop one end in your mouth to wet it with some saliva and then very carefully pop it in your eye to wipe out the offending blob of pencil!
    Have fun!
    Pops x
      January 30, 2012 10:16 AM GMT
  • Hi Pops,

Sounds like we have a lot in common with eye makeup. Gosh that is the single most important part of the make over, our eyes are the eyes of the world as someone once said. Eyes are one the of first thing people focus on.

I to like a very intense eye look, I use a liquid liner along the lash line where my false lashes attach, hides them so well. The inside on the eye line, I use a Sephora liner that is water proof, then I go over that with either a eye shadow from smash box or urban decay, with a wet brush, to give a more intense look. This has been my best solution to keep the liner to stay there for the entire night, and yes being careful not to get things into the eye, but some always finds it's way there. My eye look all depends on what type of an event that I am attending.

If you have any trick to keep liner to stay with out washing out of the tear line, it would be much appreciated.

Another thing I do for my eyes is to wing them out from the corners to give a more seductive, feminine look, then I smoke out the rest of the eye. Then I do a VERY LIGHT dusting of light blue shadow over the smokey look to give a very nice highlight, add a very light shadow to the brow bone area and I must add ( I know you know this Pops ) but BLEND BLEND is a must.

Most people will say that is to much work, yes it is but as you know when your done, you have a definite wow effect. Even though I am an older person, I do a very over the top look. And why not after all the cosmetic surgery I have had, I want to make the best of it...LOL...just gotta love it.

I am chuckling now, your right, it does take a lot of writing to describe all this....

Let me know if you have a good product that stay's put for the inner lash line....

Huggs Tammy

This post was edited by Tammy Brianne at January 31, 2012 4:15 AM GMT
      January 31, 2012 4:13 AM GMT
  • Hey Tammy,

Further to your original post about skin prep and foundation, I've now updated my blog with 2 seperate blogs on each;

Transgender Makeover - Skincare, Shaving and Moisturising
    Transgender Makeover - Foundation
    there aren't seperate links so you may have to scroll down as I update my blog; www.stylemequirky.com

Nothing keeps your eyeliner from running out your tear line except taking breaks and being careful putting it on in the first place so it gets a good hold. Rimmel pencils are good becuase they are so soft but the are rubbish becuase they last such a short amount of time. I use TEN IMAGE professional pencils for my eye and lip liner the rest of the time and on the outsides as they are long, harder and last so much longer! They are available in my makeup shop on my site if you want one.

Urban Decay does some great makeup although (and this is a long time ago) the glitters were a bit too sort of, crunchy (!?) and the pallettes dried oout quickly.

There is a brand here in the UK that do awesome pallettes called 'Sleek' not sure if you can get them in the US.

Pops x
      February 3, 2012 1:30 PM GMT
  • Thanks Pops, I am going to take a look at your site a little later in the evening.  I was just going to do a post just on exfoliating,which is so important for makeup to look it's best. But it sounds like you will have it covered on your site. I took a look at your site earlier in the week, and it looks very informative.

Yes, I do know about Urban Decay's glitters, but this last pot of shadow seems to be kinder, softer, and seems to work very well in conjunction with the Sephora water proof pencil, at least it seemed to hold up well last Sat nite. I like to try some various combinations for problems that might be a good solution. But I will keep this new procedure posted.

I definitely will take a look a your Ten Image pencil. I am really into makeup but have never heard of Sleek, so I will check this out. I am always up for something different, ....as an older lady, I look at life as an adventure..Smile..... I do not believe that you MUST look your age....yuck.... if done right, it can be done with class...well OK.... the right surgeon helps.

I find using L'Oreal lineur Intense liner with the brush is perfect for hiding the line of the false eye lash. And I am going to try the same brand with a felt tip for doing the corners, links below. Some may think that this is to much black, but if done right and blended with some lighter shades of shadow to soften the lines it is a very seductive night out on the town look. If anyone's interested, they can look in my profile picture folders and see that it is very subtle, not scary.

Now there are some events that I do get involved with that I go a tad darker, but then the events are dark....hummm makes one wonder does it not...LOL. Well, enough babble Huggs...Tammy

Felt tip link

https://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=loreal+liquid+lineur+intense&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10684820382843905293&sa=X&ei=KyssT-ycDpSCtgeU87jfDw&ved=0CEwQ8wIwAg

Brush link

https://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=loreal+liquid+lineur+intense&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13913474262620831112&sa=X&ei=KyssT-ycDpSCtgeU87jfDw&ved=0CFAQ8wIwAw

This post was edited by Tammy Brianne at February 3, 2012 7:20 PM GMT
      February 3, 2012 7:08 PM GMT