Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » USA Forum » Romney And Gingrich Slam Prop 8:

Romney And Gingrich Slam Prop 8:

Tags : None
    GOP presidential hopefuls both say appeals court overstepped
    07 February 2012| By Greg Hernandez

Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich don't seem to agree on much these days as they slug it out for the Republican nomination for president.

But one thing the did agree on Tuesday was that the The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overstepped when it upheld a lower court's ruling that California's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriages is unconstitutional.

'Court of Appeals overturning CA's Prop 8 another example of an out of control judiciary. Let's end judicial supremacy,' Gingrich wrote on Twitter.

Romney said the case is about 'preserving values' in a statement to the Washington Post.

'Today, unelected judges cast aside the will of the people of California who voted to protect traditional marriage,' Romney stated. 'This decision does not end this fight, and I expect it to go to the Supreme Court.'

He added: 'I believe marriage is between a man and a woman and, as president, I will protect traditional marriage and appoint judges who interpret the Constitution as it is written and not according to their own politics and prejudices.'

Update: Romney and Gingrich's rival for the Republican nomination, Rick Santorum, tweeted his displeasure with the ruling: '7M Californians had their rights stripped away today by activist 9th Circuit judges. As president I will work to protect marriage.'

President Barack Obama had no official reaction to the court ruling.

'I don’t have a comment on litigation in general and in this litigation to which we are not a party,' White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters. 'Beyond that, I can say that the President has long opposed, as you know, divisive and discriminatory efforts to deny rights and benefits to same-sex couples.'

Article Provided By Gay Star News.

<p><strong><em></em><em></em></strong><span style="font-family: comic sans ms,sans-serif; color: #993366;"><strong><em></em><em>My name is Nexy. Nice to meet you.</em></strong></span></p>
      February 8, 2012 6:39 AM GMT
  • I wouldn't want to be led by someone named after a salamander anyway, and Romney can take his"values" and shove it.
      February 9, 2012 6:16 PM GMT
  • I have no problem with same sex "civil" marriages - but I do object to churches being forced to perform the ceremony if it is counter to the beliefs of that religion.
    <p>Doanna Highland</p>
      February 10, 2012 4:44 AM GMT
    Right, and America values the belief of freedom of religion. So, no worries there Doanna :) But, I agree no problems with same sex marriage..
    <p><strong><em></em><em></em></strong><span style="font-family: comic sans ms,sans-serif; color: #993366;"><strong><em></em><em>My name is Nexy. Nice to meet you.</em></strong></span></p>
      February 11, 2012 7:12 AM GMT
  • Sure they are against it, how could they say anything else.

These people whom call themselves conservative have so much dirty laundry they have to d-focus from the reality of the transgressions an desires that lie within themselves. One does not have to look far to see the hypocrisy and pretense of having a virtuous character, moral and religious beliefs or principles

Truth, honesty  is a commodity that is sorely lacking in today's American politics and news reporting, or should I say entertainment news.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/anti-gay-republican-caught-cruising-craigslist-for

An the list could go on an on.

Conservative Republican's are for...complete dominion over all living things.

and they are against...anything that is for the good of man kind.

Enough rambling before I really get on the soap box, I cannot express my rage over the events taking place.

Tammy

<p>A life without purpose, is a life without reason!</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;myspace.com/tammybrianne</p>
    This post was edited by Tammy Brianne at February 23, 2012 6:12 AM GMT
      February 23, 2012 6:09 AM GMT
    Totally, understandable Tammy. You made a very good argument.
      February 23, 2012 9:22 AM GMT
  • The funny thing to me is all these candidates including Santorum when pushed say that they have many gay friends and colleagues who are fine people and good workers. They say it is just to preserve the institution of marriage. Institution?!?!?! Families are institutions? Where do we have to sign up for this "institution" Do we all belong to this institution? Where are the rules? When I hear this word used I usually think of a mental ward with white walls and padded rooms, which is where I personally believe these guys belong. I have news for them, slavery was an institution too that once was to be preserved. The white male vote used to be an institution.

Why were these institutions overturned and corrected? Simple.. civil rights and equality for all citizens and a little thing called the declaration of independece. "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." I know they said men.. but there are enough laws now to legally prove men includes women beyond a shadow of doubt.

Let's be clear, they are no "friends" of any LGBT agenda and are simply openly trashing our civil rights and then lying saying they aren't. All of them are bigots and any good debater can prove it. Welcome to their institution of bigotory!! Grrrr i need a relaxing bubble bath now. xx J

Jessica Nova
      February 29, 2012 8:25 PM GMT
  • Equality NOW !!!

Equality NOW !!!

Equality NOW !!!

Equality NOW !!!

Equality NOW !!!

Equality NOW !!!

Jessica Nova
      March 1, 2012 12:35 AM GMT
  • "Institution" of marriage? Oh, you mean like Kim Kardashian, Newt Gingrich, Bill Clinton. Herman Cain, John Kennedy, etc., etc....yup, the "straight" world has done a real nice job of respecting that institution...I mean, how could the LGBT community do any worse?
    Jessica...that is one pic I LOVE! (smile)
    Traci xoxo
    <p>Traci</p>
      March 1, 2012 6:21 AM GMT
  • My confusion is in that these self professed defenders of the Constitution are willing to trample on it when it suits their purposes. (to get into office)
    I was raised to believe that it was a protected right of being an America citizen to seek your life, liberty and pursuit of happiness as long as you yourself were not infringing on others rights to do the same. That it was against the fabric of our mutual existence to demand that a group however small not be allowed a constitutional right because you don't happen to agree with them. I was taught that if you started to disallow the rights of some, that it was a dangerous path, and that one day it just might be you that got the same treatment for a believe or desire that you have.

They also love to hide behind(hehe) religion like it has all the absolute truths of the ages. If a church doesn't want to marry a couple for what ever reason, they do have the right not to. They have done it before and do it now, and long that was before we started to stand up for our rights of self-determination. So the argument that it will make a church do something it is against is... well B.S.

Society has had the GLBT Community in its mists for as long as there has been people. They are the creators of us and if by some happenstance we all died today, Tomorrow there would be born a whole new bunch of us. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I've just one more thing for now, in the last few weeks these sanctimonious hippocrites have at one time said that the Government needs to stay out of peoples and business' way of living their lives, and then the next decried the president for not being involved in it. Take your pick, can't be both!

Bye the way Jessica, If I was one of the girls in that original photo of what I suspect was a good time, I might be a little peeved at having an ass put on my head. :-).LOL

KariAnne
      March 1, 2012 6:54 AM GMT
    Well said KariAnne
    Remember: The stupid people breed
    hugs
    Gracie
    <p>If it isn't fun - don't do it.</p>
      March 12, 2012 3:57 PM GMT