Hate crimes and the trans world

• 65 posts
    March 20, 2012 2:03 AM GMT

The fact that in many places, trans genders are not covered under hate crime laws is not new to me, but it always makes me angry when I read a story about it.  In this story the mayor and some other officials say they are trying to make this a hate crime, which they should be commended for.  However, the fact that the story is about two gay men, and one transwoman being attacked, and only the gay men's attacks are classified as hate crimes makes it so blatent that something is very wrong with the ways the laws are written.  I can't understand how any, and all crimes that are committed against a person because of who they are, be it race, religion, orientation, or gender identity should not be consisdered a hate crime.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/15/columbia-heights-anti-gay-attacks_n_1347373.html

• 95 posts
    April 2, 2012 3:30 PM BST

Hi Briana. Sad but true. I've been in this "zen" mode recently pondering the human condition. Very odd creatures these humans. High moral standards they set for conditions of their laws yet over and over since the beginning of so called "civilization" there have been terrible crimes of persecution against certain sects within it. There is so much ignorance and lack of empathy. People in power either never had to deal with neglect or have forgotten what it means to be disenfranchised. Add into the mix race, gender and sexuality and these humans seem to go into melt down mode. Most of it stems from internal fear confronting the ego. They avoid it all together and this fear drives humans to do the oddest things. Sad to say this happened in DC where I live. We definitly need better transgender protection in america. Uk has us beat by a mile for example.

Trayvon Martin was hunted down and killed by such a man recently in florida. I'm sure you know the story and the flurry of opinions circling about in the us media. I do believe this was a hate crime myself. The man who shot him was in fear. A fear he would never admit to. To him it was anger and protection of himself. MISGUIDED FEAR TURNS TO HATE.

I don't mean to change the subject of your thread but I see these all related as hate crimes. I was actually thinking of bringing the Trayvon case to the forums myself but decided your last post was a good place to carry on the issue of hate crimes in america. I'm going to try and be an optimist here for once.. the world is slowly getting better in these regards. We still have quite a fight yet to get there and perhaps worldwide we still have the most confrontational aspects of representation and fair equality to come. I'm glad I'm not a human.

TG hoodies for Trayvon! and all others oppressed by hate! xxx Jessica

• 65 posts
    April 2, 2012 10:40 PM BST
    Jessica, Thanks for the reply, and I don't think you changed the subject, hate is hate. I agree that that the world is SLOWLY getting better. I hear these stories and am glad I live where I do. I am sure there are bad places, and/or bad people where I live but have been lucky in the few years I have embraced the outside world, that I have never met any of them. I know there are girls here that have only ventured to LGBT places because that's the only place they feel safe. That's sad. I hope that they get the experience of living a life that they can go where they wish. I will admit that I still don't go to places that would be a higher risk, (bars), but I have never been to an LGBT club either. I would like to give it a try sometime so I can feel 100% free to be who I am. I feel so bad for girls that live in the bible belt, or the south, but I am very optimistic about the lives that the younger girls have in front of them. There has been some great forward movement in some places and I couldn't agree more that the UK is so far ahead of us. My hope is that this world might be hate free in this century, we will have to wait and see.
    • 95 posts
    April 3, 2012 3:06 AM BST

Hi Briana. Ya I know about the fear aspect I deal with it all the time. I hate mine, I definitly have it and it really does tear me up inside often. The worst part is a lot of our fear is legitimate exactly because there are so many hate crimes being committed. Not to mention the discrimination. The education on trans people also to the general public could be much better. Do they even teach about transgenderism in high school now? I wonder. Say in a health course? Probably not. I'm totally with you Briana. I share your hope too. I want it now. Maybe I'm being self centered here but transgendered people probably are the last bastion humanity and civilization need to conquer. Lucky us we are last in line. You know what they say though "She that is last shall be first."Living with all this constant pressure we face I think we really are more aware of the rights and wrongs of society. Anyways I hope we both can get out more. I'm starting to get to a point that I just don't care what people think anymore. I think the fear is slowly being beaten down out of need to live. Yes world.. I accept and and fine with not being Jennifer Lopez, heck i'm not even Rupaul, just me so take me or let me be. xxx

This post was edited by Jessica Nova at April 3, 2012 3:08 AM BST