Are you a THAT!

Tags : None
  • That!  said one of the men in the soap show to the others as they passed a crossdresser.

'That' comments were mede regularly through the rest of the show.

So are you a THAT! ?

Is it time we had an end to all such things or are you happy to be made fun of?

I think these shows juts reinforce the stereotypes of us as being somehow obnoxious and objects to be made fun of.

May 15, 2012 8:57 AM BST

• Dear Rose,

Thank you for your email.

We have reviewed the episode and do not believe the show makes reference to a transgender lifestyle or has intent to be viewed as transphobic.

In the episode a man dresses up to promote Auntie Wainwright’s business and is played for laughs as a comedic convention. The man is initially referred to as “that” because his friends believe him to be an unattractive woman, it is later that they realise it’s a man/their friend.

Please accept our apologies for any offence caused - we do appreciate your feedback!

Kind regards

The UKTV Team

uktv.co.uk
    http://www.uktv.co.uk

--- Original Message ---
    Received: 16/05/12 15:54:53 o'clock BST
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: I was watching Last of the Sum ( from IP 90.203.215.61)

Respond from UKTV.co.uk

To:
    [email protected]

Name:
    Rose White

Email Address:
    mailto:[email protected]

Contact Telephone Number:

Comments:
    I was watching Last of the Summer Wine episode titled 'Who's thrown her Tom Cruise Photograhps away'm there was a long scene when a crossdressed man was referred to as a 'THAT!'
    This is extremely transphobic and contributes to the continuing transphobia of hte public towards anyone outside the gender binary.
    As the Equality Act 2010 makes any sort fo gender dsicrimination it is time that such prtrayal sare taken offf th eteelevision.
    The ASA has just ruled that the Paddy Power advert was transphobic and this episode fo Sumer Wine must also be seen as such and the epidoe put away or at least the offending sections cut out.
    Please do so before showing it ever again.
    I am putting an identical complaint to Ofcom as we have moved on quite a bit since it was acceptable to make fun of mirorities.

May 31, 2012 9:24 AM BST
  • Perfectly acceptable to make fun of a crossdressed person without knowing anything about why 'he' is crossdressed.
      May 31, 2012 9:24 AM BST
  • At least you made a complaint Rose. Good on you for that! I have not seen the show so can't comment on the scene but I think most of us have seen this type behavior over and over. "It" is used quite often too. "That" or "It" being used to describe any person... man, woman or child is blatently insensitive and rude.
    Jessica Nova
      May 31, 2012 11:19 AM BST
  • 1 146
    Hi I haven't seen this episode , but am familiar with "Last Of the Summer Wine", a nostalgic throw back classical Brit Sitcom. Its style and topics havent changed from the 70s,80s and thats what the producers want.In life there will always be those stuck in a time warp, unable to change. and in this case its over 30 years.The bit about "played for laughs as a comedic convention" is poor, even though true when you consider something like Pantomine Dames. Personally I do not draw too much offense from this as it is an expression of people who ignorantly and desperately want to make repeats of living in the past .
    <p>Donna_V</p>
      May 31, 2012 12:34 PM BST
  • Deleted

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2013 6:38 PM BST
      August 2, 2012 9:10 PM BST