How do you move forward after coming out initially?

• 65 posts
    May 15, 2012 9:29 PM BST

When i came out last year i expected life to move on at a good pace. I saw the doctors, got referred to the GI clinic at Charing Cross, i, with great sorrow, split from my long term partner and moved back with my parents to save money for my new life. My expectations were high, i was, in the last month of the lease to my old flat, living part time. I came out to work and i was surprised at the level of support i received, which was very positive and filled my heart with joy and determination. I knew i had to start living full time and i was really focused but since that time (Dec 2011) until now, some six months later i have hit a brick wall. Work are still waiting for me to start and i have had a change in management which mean teling a new boss my situation, someone i hardly know or see.

The first month after was a dark period in my life as i struggled to get over the loss of my girlfriend, my soul mate who i miss more than i can ever truly express and i felt in a daze as i was left with the aftermath of my decision. Since that day until now i feel as though i haven't moved forward at all. i expected news from the NHS to take a few months and i was surprised and shocked to discover my doctors referral took five months to get to the Gender Identity clinic. Now, my expectations, after talking with some of the MTF members of this site, were put into perspective, it would be slow, very slow and no overnight miracle. I am a realist at heart and i realised i had to make the choice to live full time. no doctors could do that for me, in fact if i proved i had made the transition and adjusted well this would aid me a great deal but my own expectations proved to be too grand. I expected to be much farther along than i am now. I am like a dog chasing its own tail and it is making me dizzy and lose heart.

I am struggling to make the next step. saving is proving to be hard although not impossible but the situation i find myself in is causing untold stress. In truth, despite many wonderful friends here i feel terribly alone.

I have to move and be me but i can't all the time i have no documentation to show who i really am. my true identity seems confined to this site and my close friends. I still live with my parents and i am starting to feel resentment. not because of how they are treating me, in fact they have been nothing but kind but they are distant. My situation is never mentioned and i feel like i am a child again. i can't be myself or dress how i want. how can i do this? My father is my mothers carer and i feel like i would kill him if he had to see and live with me as Faye. the simple answer is to tell him how i feel, if i can start to transition here then thats a start at least. i know this but when you have such an emotional connection to someone its easier said than done. knowing is one thing. living with and accepting it is something else entirely. He has so much to contend with and although i have written him a letter i can't find the strength to give it to him. I know he doesnt want to lose his son. will i cause him and my mother damage?

I can't change my name while i live here. i cant apply for new documents and licences because of the stress this will give my father as he receives all the post (my mum is unable to see). i wanted to do this away from him. I feel alone and confused and suddenly coming out, which seemed so easy those months ag,o now seems to be in a terminal reverse or at least stuck in park. i wanted to move with my new ID and life but i'm trapped and applying for new rent leases is filling me with dread. i have no confidence and everything i want to achieve seems so far away. how do you move forward as a woman when everything says you are a male? Do i move as male me then do all my changes later? which is what i planned but now feels the hardest thing to do. once again having to change lease names, bills, etc to my new ID especially as i wanted to set up these accounts as me in the first place, not adjust them later. I had intended to move as Faye. to be a strong, independant woman. I felt bullet proof those months ago but now i feel unable to make any decisions. i am Faye in all but name and appearence. i feel my soul weaken when i am refered to as a male or called by my birthname. it sends me deeper into a darkness that i am finding hard to see any light. My own expectations too great and unrealistic.

any thoughts on this would be greatfully received. i know we all, in transgendered community, feel like this at some time and i know i am in no way the first or the last but right now, i simply feel unable to function properly. Forgetting any NHS help, i am talking about how do you go about moving forward when life seems so intent on holding you back? Or is this all in the mind?

Faye xxx

• May 15, 2012 11:00 PM BST
    Faye
    you really need to bite the bullet and transition immediately as living as male but claiming to be TS is confusing everyone and depressing you.
    Go to a soliciutor tomorrow and spend £5 - the legal limit - on making a statutory declaration that from that moment on you will be Faye Mack. Then copy the sd and send one to your local tax, NHS, GP, driving licence, works personnel, bank, Pensions company, etc etc.. so that the NHS and GIC can see you are serious.
    If you really do feel you are TS and not just a CD/TV and want to go through srs then you have to make the effort or else waste your life in the closet.
    Just go to work tomorrow dressed nicely as Faye and let everyone see you are serious and you'll find most folk will be fine.
    same goes for parents.
    As for the delays you could remind the local NHS that the ECHR and HRA says you do not have to prove your TSism to anyone once you are openly living and working as a woman called Faye.
    Start your new life tomorrow.
    • 35 posts
    July 4, 2012 12:32 AM BST

Change is hard for anyone, but changing your sex is probably one of the most significant changes anyone can go through. In any change, there is the frustration of letting go of old and familiar things, people, places, and things, without knowing what will replace them.

There is a point I call "The Tunnel" - that point where you feel like you have given up everything you can give up, you've lost everything you can lose, and you can't really be sure of what is next.  For some, the changes are even more dramatic.  In my case, when I first came out, my wife decided to leave me, my job started harassing me into submitting my resignation, many of my friends didn't want to talk to me.  My sister was OK with it, and my Mother wasn't really all that surprised, but my brother and father didn't want to know and didn't want it "Rubbed in their faces" - thinking that this was a "hobby".  I had to move, first from Colorado Springs to Denver, and eventually to the NYC area.  When I first moved to Denver, I was living in one of those "No Tell Motels" off the interstate, paying rent by the week, trying to ignore what my neighbors were doing as much as possible, cooking in a wok.

But once I had finally let go, things changed radically.  I got a job with an insurance company dominated by women executives, they considered my being transgendered to be an asset.  I met a woman who wanted to ENCOURAGE me to dress as much as possible, and really loved Debbie.  I loved her son as much as I loved my own.  Furthermore, since she was Bisexual, she loved to invite her girlfriends over for a bit of fun, and eventually we had 3 women and 2 men living in the house, each contributing in their own ways.

I was living as Debbie 120 hours a week, only dressing in male mode for work, even though they were ready to accept my transition if and when I was ready to do so.  I was even about ready to start hormones.  For the first time in my life I was truly happy, happier than I had ever been in my life.  I was healthier than I had ever been, losing over 100 lbs from the time I first came out, to the point where I was ready to start the hormones.

It was only when my ex-wife told me that she had met some contacts through her husband's church who could arrange to have a judge order court supervised visitation - and she showed me the letter from the social worker, that I finally had to halt my transition plans.  I stopped the hormones, and decided to just dress.  It was almost like dying.  Eventually, my ex-wife told me  that my visitation was disrupting the family life and causing too much pain for the kids.  I could see it myself.

At that point, I moved to the NYC area, and began working on a project to make what is now the Internet available to the general public, to make it an attractive medium for news publishers, and a place to do commerce, similar to mail-order.  Today, we know it as the World Wide Web.  I did work with Dow Jones, McGraw-Hill, and 8,000 other publishers, then brokerages, and then insurance companies, and finally, through IBM I worked with soveral corporate clients to build large business to business networks.

Unfortunately, the higher profile came with the price of having to stop dressing in public for several years.  I tried to protect my anonymity, but was told I should take some leadership training.  Problem was that the Leadership training program insisted that I "Burn the Dresses" if I wanted to go further.  I did agree to stop making public appearances, and I did have a lady friend who loved Debbie and didn't need to go out, even though we only saw each other one week-end a month during the summer, and 2 week-ends a month from October to mid-december and then from Mid-January to Mid-April.

Without Debbie as motivation, I gained weight, eventually going from 150 lbs to 325 lbs, more than doubling my weight.  By 9/11 2001, I was having trouble getting my seat belt fastened.  Even suffered a heart attack, and a stroke.  I continued to struggle, until I finally started being Debbie again.  When I started dressing regularly, after work and on week-ends, I lost 85 lbs in less than 9 months.  Fortunately, when I was single again, I put pictures of Debbie on my Match.com profile, and met a woman who really liked Debbie, and is glad to have her be part of my life and part of her life.  She thinks I dress to "Slutty", which is true, but when I take her fashion advice, I have absolutely no trouble passing, though it does take some of the fun out of it.

If you're transsexual, you know that the thought of spending the next 20-30, or even 40-50 years as a man, is probably more terrifying than being shot in the head, especially if you believe that you might reincarnate into a girl's body, and have memory of how much you wanted to be a girl.

If you straddle the fence too long, you will fall forword or backward, and any spikes in the fence will make you very uncomfortable.when you do.

If you are just a cross-dresser, and you have no real desire to transition, then enjoy your nights out, or even whole week-ends, and have a good time with that, and feel free to socialize with those who enjoy that.  If you are a transsexual, you've probably wanted to be a girl more than anything else in the world, and have wanted it for a very long time.  If you won the lotto, the first thing you would do is start your sex change.  You'd certainly start the laser, electrolysis, and hormones immediatly.

You're lucky.  You have a health car eprogram that pays some of your transition expenses.  Here in the USA, insurance companies still don't cover most of the transition costs, so nearly everything is "out of pocket" and in some states, there is no legal protection aginst being fired, and if you are physically attacked or abused, the perpetrators are likely to be offered a plea bargain for probation and/or "house arrest".

Consider this.  Would you rather have what you really want, and have people love you and want you for who you really are, or do you want to wait until you 70 years old, wishing you had done these things, but now you can't afford to try, risk losing the few friends you do have, who know you only as the person you pretend to be, and knowing that your low blood pressure and good health could mean that you could live to 90 or longer.

• 21 posts
    July 5, 2012 11:00 PM BST
    Faye
    I fell your pain anguish and frustration.I fought a mental battle with my feelings of gender disorder from early childhood up until March 2011 when i finally confronted my gender issues and came out to my wife and family.The previous 18 months had been a mental living hell both for myself and my wife who was undeservingly on the receiving end of much of my mood swings.One of the reasons for the mood swings was the fact that having finally decided that i could no longer live in gender denial i thought that at age 59 i had left it to late to fully transision.i thought i would be to old to undergo gr surgery which without that i would have felt totally fulfilled or female.Having resolved that issue through reading forums like this and media programmes i knew i had to transision and made the decision to begin the process.I am fortunate in that my wife has stayed with me and supported me and i enjoy rthe support of my family.It has been a difficult time for my wife discovering after 33yrs of marriage that her husband is not the person she thought he was when we married.She has been going through a grieving process and is just emerging from the anger stage but we are working things out so far.Transision is a slow and sometimes frustrating process but if you have an end goal to focus on then it eases the frustration some what.I would endorse the advice of Rose that if you are sure in your own mind that you need to transision then you need to begin to live full time as Faye and change all your documents to your new identity.I am also being treated at charringcross gi clinic, and btw i waited 7mths for my first appointment and 6 months for my 2nd appointment.At the 2nd appointment they will expect to see evidence of you living as Faye before they will offer hormonre treatment.Its been a further 8weeks from my 2nd appointment to me receiving my letter confirming my hormone treatment.I share your frustration in being referred to as him or your birth name.This has happened to me twice in recent weeks once by a surgeon who was preforming a minor op and announced to a nurse that he had signed his consent form and once by an assistant in a well know high street stationary store referring to me as he.That was rather more embarrasing as there was a queue of people at the time.These thing will happen and you just have to deal with it move on and dwell on all the positive experiences you will have.Whatever you do i wish you well and i hope you find true happiness.
    Emmak
  • July 6, 2012 7:42 AM BST
    Charing Cross sounds like it hasn't heard of hte EU Human Rights attitude to transsexuals which is that once we decide to trabsition we don't need anyone else's opinion sor permission.
    If CX does this then they are effectively saying you aren't fit to control your own body.
    But now you#vegot progress just keep pushing them for faster service.
  • July 6, 2012 9:53 AM BST
    Hiya Faye.

Firstly, you do not have to pay £5 for a statutory decleration to change your name. See the law forum, documents, and Lucy
    Diamonds excellent post about deed polls.

You have to do what makes you comfortable at a speed you can cope with, every persons situation is different.

The NHS has a policy, as do other members of the EU, all approved under the EHRC, for example some countries within the EU will not allow a person to officially change their gender status unless they go all the way and have SRS.

Unfortunately when it comes to priorities and funding the NHS system can be slow. It is illegal to delay or refuse funding accross the board, the UK Gender Recognition Act was forced through, as a result of several cases taken to the European court of Human rights.

Its not ideal, we know, but we must remember there is only so much money to go around, clinicians and service providers must ensure that each person is evaluated for treatment and they must ensure through councelling and evaluation that people are genuine and in need.
    Therefore there are guidlines laid down to make sure they get it right. There have been several members here, who did get it wrong and now regret having surgery and find themselves in limbo, seeking legal aid to get compensation.

This fallacy that people have the right to walk in to a GI clinic and demand fast track attention does nobody any favours.

We have chatted and I am quite sure your genuine. Because of my own condition I could have had surgery at 18, but was judged mentally unstable too imature to cope with such a drastic change. Would I have regretted it afterwards if I had of gone ahead at that age who knows.

To keep banging on about the EU rights Act, is wrong, the NHS guidelines have been accepted by Strasbourg, All the cases put before the Strasbourg courts have an adendum to the judgements, (dependant on funds beeing available) The judgements were because people were excluded from any treatment.

Layla is a great example, she went through similar frustrations and anxt over the delays, she is on course and doing great.

Loadsa love Cristine
    • 1652 posts
    July 6, 2012 1:20 PM BST
    "I can't change my name while i live here. i cant apply for new documents and licences..."
    Yes you can. If you feel you are not moving forward then this is why. You need to sit down and have a talk with your dad and tell him that this is what you need to do; you have waited too long already.
    As you've been referred to CX you need to start living full-time now - change your name by deed poll (free), and send off copies to everyone who has your old name on file. Your 2 year real life experience will start from the day you change your name, or can otherwise prove you were living full-time.
    You will never move forward until you have taken this step, some would say it's a leap of faith, but if you know in your heart that it's what you must do then you must not delay any longer.
    If there's any doubt in your mind that you want to spend the rest of your life living as a female then wait until you get to CX and ask about therapy sessions (I was only offered group sessions when I first went, I declined, didn't need it).
    But if you're not sure about it all, I don't think you'd be writing posts like this.
    The time is now. If your family already know about you it won't destroy them, it is just the next, essential step.
    Don't waste your life finding reasons not to move forward; it is all in your hands, no-one else's.
    xx
  • July 6, 2012 4:45 PM BST

. To keep banging on about the EU rights Act, is wrong, the NHS guidelines have been accepted by Strasbourg, All the cases put before the Strasbourg courts have an adendum to the judgements, (dependant on funds beeing available) The judgements were because people were excluded from any treatment.

Schlumpf v Switzerland was about being forced to wait, the others were about being refused the right to determine their own treatmnet.

• 65 posts
    July 6, 2012 9:48 PM BST
    Firstly i want to thank you all for your comments, experiences and advice. I have recently moved an i am moving at my pace. I am changing my personal details. i am finding out about myself and i am taking the steps i need to take. I am not the type to rush into things. Heaven forbid i try to confuse anyone but at the end of the day i have to do what i right for me. I have begun to live my life as the person i want to be. The NHS route is the option available to me now. who know what is around the corner. To you girls that have made the step and the courage of your convictions i have nothing but admiration and respect. we are all different and do things we feel is in our best interest. to have friends to help you on your way is a wonderful thing and i thank you for taking the time out of your own lives to comments. I will live the rest of my life as Faye. i was just in a low place when i wrote this a couple of months ago. Life changes quickly. Its in my hands. xxx