Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Creative Writing » Linda's Background for Writing

Linda's Background for Writing

Tags : None
  • I have been asked by Melody Anders to give you all some background on my Creative Writing Class that I facilitate. The class is taught at aWellnessCitya part of recovery Innovations of Arizona,USA. The center is for those whom are dealing with life issues that range from addictions, coping skills, bereavement, sexuality, mental fatigue, PTSD, spin bifida, fybromialgia, social skills, work skill and other things. We offer a variant amount of classes that range from how to prepare a resume’, basic computer skills, simple cooking, working with others, alone with life skills of coping with general issues of banking, laundry, house keeping . We assist them with filing for housing, financial aid, Medicare, Medicaid and physical wellness. With in the scope of recovery we do things as hobbies, gardening, arts, crafts, music, tai chi, yoga, expressive writing and other things as they come up. We work on empowering people to be in charge of themselves and living a life and not a diagnosis.

So now to my writing class. There was a previous class but it had been dropped due to no teacher. So as I was working there and I happen to feel that I am creative and I have taken writing classes prior I took on the opening. I created a five step lesson plan which covers what a story is, what components are needed, different writing styles and views. The basic building blocks so to say.

As for the age range with in my class I have had people from 18 and the oldest is a witty young gal who earlier this year turned a snappy 86, bless her soul. Her body may not cut a rug and flip the lights fantastic but she has the sharpest mind in the box of needles. No one is required to attend any of the classes nor complete them. It is all about one’s own self confidence. As how I get them to write and collaborate is simple. I get them involved and interactive. I even with my own health and body issue am a method writer, I act out the words. I bring up a topic based on the lesson of the day and we all chime in with what we think and I take notes and bring it home and fabricate it and then post it on the bulletin board and turn in a copy to the director. When they see the work that they have done shared with other members they get a sparkle of accomplishment in their eye, thus far in 18 month we have had 4 published in the national newspaper for all the centers to read. My first class and I are currently working on a short (fiction) novel of life and recovery. So, that about sums it up about my class.

I do have this to say to all of you. There is a reason it is called CREATIVE WRITING. There are no boundaries to your mind nor to your pen. Take forth the quill and parchment and bring it to life, for the pen will lead you to the endless points of time.

Lindaj.

June 29, 2012 4:08 PM BST
    Thanks for posting this, Linda.
    When I read the stories I thought maybe they were from somewhere like your center.
    While they stand alone as stories, sometimes knowing the background adds to the appreciation of the work.
    Best, Mellie
    <p><span style="color: #800080;">Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola Lo-lo-lo-lo Lola</span> - Ray Davies, The Kinks</p> <p><span style="color: #3366ff;">(S)he's a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction</span> - Kris Kristofferson</p>
      June 29, 2012 4:38 PM BST
  • Thank you for asking and thank you for giving me the time to explain what I do in my life, Hug
      June 30, 2012 1:44 PM BST