Linda's Writing Class Plan to Share

• 10 posts
    July 5, 2012 1:51 PM BST

This is a very long post . I created the class work plan myself. I hope you can all use it. Hugs

Creative writing with Sonny

Objective :  To help and assist you in the expanding your creative talents using writing. I would like to cover just some of the basics of writing skills.

A)   Creating a story line

B)  Describing of the settings around within the story

C) Character development

D) The story action

E)  Creating and ending or epilog

F)  Writing in the first, second or third person

During this class we will work on some quick stories here within the class and you will and can work on at home. The class project is working on a story. Within this story we will work on creating the back story of two people and bring them up to present day life. After that we will start working on their future life.

Hopefully after 6 or 8 weeks everyone will be willing to sit down and share part of what we wrote. This way we can, after open discussion, create the back story and print it out so it can be shared with others.

I am sure as we go along each one of us will find enjoyment in this way of expressing ourselves.

At this time please allow me to thank you for your participation in this class.

Thank you.

Lesson One

Today we will work and discuss creating a story line. What do you think a story line should consist of?

Now lets look at what we thought. Did we agree that it should have a strating point, ahigh pointand an ending?

These three items are covered in the outline of the story. As with any good story we must have a reason or plot. Now this of course can be done in many ways. So lets take a moment and discuss what types of stories we enjoy to read

As we all know there is fiction and nonfiction writings.

Now lest discuss the story setting. Within the setting we have to enable the reader to see the things around our character through the use of our words.

This is just an example:

As I arose this morning, I was awaken to the aroma of fresh

roasted coffee along with the smell of a wood fire in the       

crisp morning air.

As you read this you can visualize the scene of camping. This helps the reader see the surroundings of our story setting. Now take a moment and write one down.

Now for practice we will describe something we see around us here.

Now please think of your writing as being a picture and you are the artist and the words are your paints.

Lesson Two

We need to explain to our readers a little about the people involved.  One way to do this is through a short introduction of the people involved as well as a description of their lives using a narration.

Example:  It is 1931 and Joe has been standing in the bread line since 5 am. He lost his job when the big crash of the stock market happen back in 29. He has been here daily ever since, every day 7 days week. Poor guy, he has his wife and young son to think of. I sure wish things could change for him.

Now just in those few lines you got to know the year the story is taking place in. You also learned some minor back ground about Joe. So you can start to picture him and where he is at in life. 

A second way is if you are the main character. You use something from the past or current surroundings. You can also combine the two in one thought.

Example:  I was just walking down main street. Like I have done a thousand times since I was a child. But today is different; there is a new ice cream parlor where Steward’s newsstand was. Wow, a flash back, I remember when I was young, my aunt would bring me to the old one. She would always order the same thing. Yes sir, I will have a small dish of maple walnut and a vanilla wafer with my coffee and my nephew will have strawberry she would say. I will have to stop in there some time but not today I have an appointment to keep.

Within that paragraph what did we learn about the character?

As you develop your story, you can use both styles depending on your position you might take in the story it’s self. This will take some practice. Remember the reader has blinders on and can only see what you write. You are the tour guide. 

Lesson Three

We are about to enter the world of Story Action. So fasten your seat belts and get ready to blast off. Now story action can be expressed in different manners also.  Mostly the action will be the way you describe the main plot and express that. You can go kind of wild here in the way you word things. Some people like total suspense, some thing that hangs you on the edge of your seat. Others might like it gradually where you feed them did bits of mystery of the story. Also remember a story can unfold with in a story.

Example:  Tim and I were standing our watch having a cup of joe. When all sudden the ship began to rumble and then there was a loud explosion. Oh may god I remember yelling out an everything went black. Next I know Tim is standing over me waking me up. I am groggy and disoriented my head hurts really bad. Tim is talking but I can’t hear him. I reach to my head and as I bring my hand down it is covered in blood. I start to hear Tim and he is in a panic telling me to lay still my forehead has a gash in it. He scrambles off to find something to stop the bleeding more.

So as you see I wrote in the first person the action that was going on in that scene. As I describe the action you could begin to visualize it. So now take a few moments to create an action scene and we can discuss them.

Here is a good one; do you know the difference between as fairy tale and a sea story?

A fairy tale starts with “once upon a time” and a sea story starts with “this is no lie but”

Lesson Four

Here we have come to the end of our story line. It is the place in time that we leave our reader knowing every thing about the plot and the characters. As most good stories it is nice to end on a good note but as we know life does not always end that way.

Epilogue

An epilogue, epilog or afterword is a piece of writing at the end of a work of literature or drama, usually used to bring closure to the work. The writer or the person can deliver a speech, speaking directly to the reader, when bringing the piece to a close, or the narration may continue normally to a closing scene.

•  

In literature

An epilogue is a final chapter at the end of a story that often serves to reveal the fates of the characters. Some epilogues may feature scenes only tangentially related to the subject of the story. They can be used to hint at a sequel or wrap up all the loose ends. They can occur at a significant period of time after the main plot has ended. In some cases, the epilogue has been used to allow the main character a chance to 'speak freely'. An epilogue can continue in the same narrative style and perspective as the preceding story, although the form of an epilogue can occasionally be drastically different from the overall story. When the author steps in and speaks directly to the reader, that is more properly considered an afterword. It can also be used as a sequel.

In film

In films, the final scenes may feature a montage of images or clips with a short explanation of what happens to the characters. American Graffiti, National Lampoon's Animal House, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Four Weddings and a Funeral, and Changeling are examples of such films. There are many films which do not only include a few glimpses of the character's future, but also are based on an

epilogue. Most epilogues in films are shown in a dramatic fashion, usually in silence, to commemorate an important happening eg. the fate of a character in the film.

In many documentaries and biopics the epilogue is text based, explaining what happened to the subjects after the events covered in the film.

In television

The USseries "Arrested Development" is a good example as it has an epilogue at the end of every episode. Many TV sitcoms feature epilogues in the form of scenes over the closing credits, often resolving a minor subplot from the episode or resurrecting an earlier j

Lesson Five

Here are some of the basic forms of writing in First, Second and Third person forms. This lesson was saved to the end because it is the most complicated of all. Prior to this you have had the time to experiment with your own creativity and style.

Narrative mode

The narrative mode (also known as the mode of narration) is the set of methods the author of a literary, theatrical, cinematic, or musical story uses to convey the plot to the audience. Narration, the process of presenting the narrative, occurs because of the narrative mode. It encompasses several overlapping areas of concern, most importantly narrative point-of-view, which determines through whose perspective the story is viewed and narrative voice, which determines the manner through which the story is communicated to the author to be the same person. However, the narrator may be a fictive person devised by the author as a stand-alone entity, or even a character. The narrator is considered participant if an actual character in the story, and nonparticipant if only an implied character, or a sort of omniscient * (def.adj. having complete or unlimited knowledge or awareness)  or semi-omniscient being who does not take part in the story but only relates it to the audience.

The narrative mode encompasses not only who tells the story, but also how the story is described or expressed .

•  

Narrative Point of View

Narrative point of view in the creative writing of fiction describes the narrator's position in relation to the story being told.

Narrative point of view should not be confused with similar terms and concepts such as perspective, viewpoint, or the point-of-view of a camera. Perspective refers to a particular attitude toward or a way of regarding something; when discussed in fiction writing, perspective means the subjective perception of a character. Viewpoint refers to the position from which something is viewed, and point-of-view in film refers to the view captured by the camera’s optics. The viewpoint of a person or the point-of-view of a camera is not analogous to narrative point of view in literature.

First-person view

In a first-person narrative the story is relayed by a narrator who is also a character within the story, so that the narrator reveals the plot by referring to this viewpoint character as "I" (or, when plural, "we"). Oftentimes, the first-person narrative is used as a way to directly convey the deeply internal, otherwise unspoken thoughts of the narrator. Frequently, the narrator's story revolves around him-/herself as the protagonist  (def. Noun the leading character of a drama or literary work) and allows this protagonist/narrator character's inner thoughts to be conveyed openly to the audience, even if not to any of the other characters. It also allows that character to be further developed through his/her own style in telling the story. First-person narrations may be told like third-person ones, with a person experiencing the story without being aware that they are actually conveying their experiences to an audience; on the other hand, the narrator may be conscious of telling the story to a given audience, perhaps at a given place and time, for a given reason. In extreme cases, the first-person narration may be told as a story within a story, with the narrator appearing as a character in the story. The first-person narrator also may or may not be the focal character.

As aforementioned, the first-person narrator is always a character within his/her own story (whether the protagonist or not) and this viewpoint character takes actions, makes judgments and has opinions and biases, therefore, not always allowing the audience to be able to comprehend some of the other character's thoughts, feelings, or understandings as much as this one character. In this case, the narrator gives and withholds information based on his/her own viewing of events. It is an important task for the reader to determine as much as possible about the character of the narrator in order to decide what "really" happens. Example:

"I could picture it. I have a habit of imagining the conversations between my friends. We went out to the Cafe Napolitain to have an aperitif and watch the evening crowd on the Boulevard." from The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. The narrator is protagonist Jake Barnes.

In very rare cases, stories are told in first person plural, that is, using "we" rather than "I".

The narrator can be the protagonist (e.g., Gulliver in Gulliver's Travels), someone very close to him who is privy to his thoughts and actions (Dr. Watson in Sherlock Holmes), or an ancillary character who has little to do with the action of the story. Narrators can report others' narratives at one or more removes. These are called 'frame narrators'.

In autobiographical fiction, the first person narrator is the character of the author (with varying degrees of accuracy). The narrator is still distinct from the author and must behave like any other character and any other first person narrator. In some cases, the narrator is writing a book — "the book in your hands" — therefore it has most of the powers and knowledge of the author.

A rare form of first person, is the first person omniscient, in which the narrator is a character in the story, but also knows the thoughts and feelings of all the other characters. It can seem like third person omniscient at times. For notable examples see The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, where the narrator is Death; also The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, where a young girl after being killed. Now watches from Heaven to see how her family struggles to cope with her disappearance. Typically, however, the narrator restricts the events relayed in the narrative to those that it could reasonably have knowledge of.

Second-person view

Probably the rarest mode in literature (though quite common in song lyrics) is the second-person narrative mode, in which the narrator refers to one of the characters as "you", therefore making the audience member feel as if he or she is a character within the story. The second-person narrative mode is often paired with the first-person narrative mode in which the narrator makes emotional comparisons between the thoughts, actions, and feelings of "you" versus "I". Often the narrator is therefore also a character in his or her story, in which case it would technically still be employing the first-person narrative mode.

In letters and greeting cards, the second-person narrative mode is often used in a non-fictional atmosphere.

Perhaps the most prominent example of this mode in contemporary literature is Jay McInerney's Bright Lights, Big City. In this novel, the second-person point of view is intended to create an intense sense of intimacy between the narrator and the reader, causing the reader to feel implicit in and powerless against a plot that leads him, blindly, through his (the reader’s and the narrator’s) own destruction and redemption:

"You are not the kind of guy who would be at a place like this at this time of the morning. But here you are, and you cannot say the terrain is entirely unfamiliar, although the details are fuzzy. You are at a nightclub talking to a girl with a shaved head. The club is either Heartbreak or the Lizard Lounge. All might become clear if you could just slip into the bathroom and do a little more Bolivian Marching Powder. Then again, it might not. A small voice inside you insists that this epidemic lack of clarity is a result of too much of that already."

The second-person has also been used in many short stories.

Second-person narration can be a difficult style to manage. The technique can also be used effectively to place the reader in unfamiliar, disturbing, or exciting situations. For example, in his novel Complicity, Iain Banks uses the second-person in the chapters dealing with the actions of a killer.

One notable example of the use of second-person narration is the Choose Your Own Adventure series of children's books, in which the reader actually makes decisions and jumps around the book accordingly. Similarly, most interactive fiction is in the second person.

An even more unusual, but potentially stylish version of second person narration takes the form of a series of imperative statements with the implied subject "you", as in this example from Lorrie Moore's "How to Become a Writer":

"Decide that you like college life. In your dorm you meet many nice people. Some are smarter than you. And some, you notice, are dumber than you. You will continue, unfortunately, to view the world in exactly these terms for the rest of your life."

Third-person view

Third-person narration provides the greatest flexibility to the author and thus is the most commonly used narrative mode in literature. In the third-person narrative mode, each and every character is referred to by the narrator as "he", "she", "it", or "they", but never as "I" or "we" (first-person), or "you" (second-person). In third-person narrative, it is necessary that the narrator be merely an unspecified entity or uninvolved person that conveys the story, but not a character of any kind within the story being told. Third-person singular (he/she) is overwhelmingly the most common type of third-person narrative, although there have been successful uses of the third-person plural (they). Even more common, however, is to see singular and plural used together in one story, at different times, depending upon the number of people being referred to at a given moment in the plot. Sometimes in third-person narratives, a character would refer to himself in the third-person e.g., "(Character name) would like to come with you”

The third-person modes are usually categorized along two axes. The first is the subjectivity/objectivity axis, with "subjective" narration describing one or more character's feelings and thoughts, while "objective" narration does not describe the feelings or thoughts of any characters. The second axis is between "omniscient" and "limited", a distinction that refers to the knowledge available to the narrator. An omniscient narrator has omniscient knowledge of time, people, places and events; a limited narrator, in contrast, may know absolutely everything about a single character and every piece of knowledge in that character's mind, but it is "limited" to that character—that is, it cannot describe things unknown to the focal character.

Third Person Point of View in Fiction

When discussing third person narration in creative writing of fiction there are two main aspects to consider: the objective/subjective spectrum and the difference between limited and omniscient.

The first aspect of third person point of view is to understand the spectrum (or sliding scale) between objective and subjective. A narrator staying on the objective end of this spectrum can only describe the exterior world and cannot relate the thoughts, feelings, or inner workings of any character’s minds. A narrator staying on the subjective end of this spectrum tells the story exclusively from the perspective(s) of the character(s) and cannot relate any of the exterior objective world.

Traditionally, mainstream fiction with third person narration operates near the middle of the subjective/objective spectrum, alternating between objective and subjective reality and also offering alternating perspectives of the main characters. This allows the narrator to present both the objective reality and the subjective perspectives of the various characters on that reality. Given this information, the reader can then judge for themselves (without being told outright by the narrator) whether the character is a hero, fool, or other type based on the way they perceive and interact with the established reality.

The second aspect of third person point of view is to identify whether the narrator is limited or omniscient. There is no sliding scale between these two voices, no semi-omniscient or semi-limited. Within literature, limited or omniscient are considered absolutes.

The third person limited narrator is limited to knowing about one main character including the objective sphere of things that influence or have an effect on that character’s life. The limited narrator cannot leave the main character and relate the subjective inner workings of any other character in the story. This limitation is absolute. If a third person narrator seems limited but then jumps away from the main character to tell a different character’s thoughts or perspectives, they have just broken out of limited voice and shown themselves to be a third person omniscient narrator.

The third person omniscient narrator presumably knows all the objective occurrences and subjective perspectives of the entire universe where the story takes place, but they tell only the elements necessary to the story. A common mistake in understanding third person narration is to think that a narrator cannot know everything because the writer cannot know everything. However, the narrator is not the writer and vice-versa. The idea of omniscience is a convention in literature — the third person omniscient dwells within the collective unconscious and the creative writer taps into that to tell stories. Naturally, any being that is omniscient is supernatural, or God-like, and must hold back information due to the constraints of time and the potential to overwhelm the reader.

For this reason, a third person omniscient narrator may tell a story to children or young adults in a way that might feel limited to an adult reader, but this does not make them a third person limited narrator. One common device in young adult novels (such as the Harry Potter series) is to alternate perspectives of characters in different chapters. This is not a change of point of view; the same narrator is still telling the story. For the sake of the young reader, the writer made the narrative jump to an alternate perspective at a chapter break.

Many mainstream third person novels employ an omniscient narrator that delves into the thoughts and feelings of multiple characters, alternating perspectives in some form. Given multiple perspectives and objective descriptions of the reality, the complexities of big picture storytelling are more fully realized in third person narration than any other voice.

Understanding these ideas about limited and omniscient narrative voice being absolutes while objective and subjective occur on a spectrum can lead to interesting debates and discussions about point of view in literature. For instance, when looking at a complex novel such as Ken Kesey’s Sometimes a Great Notion, a case can be made that the narration is third person omniscient and becomes so subjective that the story is ultimately told in alternating first person perspectives of the primary characters. The giveaway for this is that the book starts in objective third person omniscient and then moves into the minds of the characters before becoming first person. If an omniscient narrator knows everything, they would know the first person perspectives of the characters and be able to narrate following the rules for that voice.

Alternating person view

While the general rule is for novels to adopt a single approach to point of view throughout, there are exceptions. Many stories, especially in literature, alternate between the first and third person. In this case, an author will move back and forth between a more omniscient third-person narrator to a more personal first-person narrator. The Harry Potter series is told in third person limited for much of the seven novels, but deviates to omniscient in that it switches the limited view to other characters from time to time, rather than only the protagonist. However, like the A Song of Ice and Fire series, a switch of viewpoint is done only at chapter boundaries. Omniscient point of view is also referred to as alternating point of view, because the story sometimes alternates between characters. Often, a narrator using the first person will try to be more objective by also employing the third person for important action scenes, especially those in which he/she is not directly involved or in scenes where he/she is not present to have viewed the events in first person.

Epistolary novels,( def.adj. contained in or carried on by written letters between persons) which were very common in the early years of the novel, generally consist of a series of letters written by different characters, and necessarily switching when the writer changes; the classic books Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Dracula by Abraham "Bram" Stoker and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde take this approach. Sometimes, though, they may all be letters from one character, such as Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island switches between third and first person, as do Charles Dickens's Bleak House. Many of William Faulkner's take a series of first-person points of view. E.L. Konigsburg's novella The View from Saturday uses flashbacks to alternate between third person and first person throughout the book; as does Edith Wharton's novel Ethan Frome. After the First Death, by Robert Cormier, a novel about a fictional school bus hijacking in the late seventies, also switches from first to third person narrative using different characters. The novel The Death of Artemio Cruz, by Mexican writer Carlos Fuentes, switches between the three persons from one chapter to the next, even though all refer to the same protagonist. The novel Dreaming in Cuban, by Cristina García, alternates between third person limited and first person depending on the generation of the speaker; the grandchildren recount events in first person while the parents and grandparent are shown in third person limited.

Narrative voice

The narrative voice describes how the story is conveyed (for example, by "viewing" a character's thought processes, by reading a letter written for someone, by a retelling of a character's experiences, etc.).

Stream-of-consciousness voice

A stream of consciousness gives the (almost always first-person) narrator's perspective by attempting to replicate the thought processes (as opposed to simply the actions and spoken words) of the narrative character. Often, interior monologues and inner desires or motivations, as well as pieces of incomplete thoughts, are expressed to the audience (but not necessarily to other characters). Examples include the multiple narrators' feelings in William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury and As I Lay Dying, the character Offred's often fragmented thoughts in Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, and the development of the narrator's nightmarish experience in Queen's hit song, Bohemian Rhapsody.

Character voice

One of the most common narrative voices, used especially with first- and third-person viewpoints is the character voice in which an actual conscious "person" (in most cases, a living human being) is presented as the narrator. In this situation, the narrator is no longer an unspecified entity, but rather, a more relatable, realistic human character who may or may not be involved in the actions of his or her story and who may or may not take a biased approach in the storytelling. If he or she is directly involved in the plot, this narrator is also called the viewpoint character. The viewpoint character is not necessarily the focal character: examples of supporting viewpoint characters include Doctor Watson, Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Great Gatsby's Nick Carraway.

Unreliable narrator (voice)

Under the character voice is the unreliable narrative voice which involves the use of a non-credible or untrustworthy narrator. This mode may be employed to give the audience a deliberate sense of disbelief in the story or a level of suspicion or mystery as to what information is meant to be true and what is false. This unreliability is often developed by the author to demonstrate that the narrator is psychologically unstable; has an enormous bias; is unknowledgeable, ignorant, or childish; or, is perhaps purposefully trying to deceive the audience. Unreliable narrators are usually first-person narrators. However, when a third-person narrator is considered unreliable for any reason, his or her viewpoint may be termed "third-person, subjective."

Examples include "Chief" Bromden in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey, Holden Caulfield in the novel "The Catcher In The Rye", Dr. James Sheppard in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie, and Humbert Humbert in the novel Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.

A naive narrator is one who is so ignorant and inexperienced that he/she actually exposes the faults and issues of his/her world. It is used particularly in satire, in situations where the user can draw more inferences about the narrator's environment than the narrator. Child narrators can also fall under this category.

Epistolary voice

The epistolary narrative voice uses a (usually fictional) series of letters and other documents to convey the plot of the story. Although epistolary works can be considered multiple-person narratives, they also can be classified separately, as they arguably have no narrator at all—just an author who has gathered the documents together in one place. One famous example is Mary Shelley's Frankenstein which is a single story written in a letter. Another is Bram Stoker's Dracula, which tells the story in a series of diary entries and newspaper clippings. Les Liaisons dangereuses (Dangerous Liaisons) by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos is again made up of the correspondence between the main characters, most notably the Marquise de Merteuil and the Vicomte de Valmont. Langston Hughes does the same thing in a shorter form in his story "Passing," which consists of a young man's letter to his mother.

Third-person voices

The third-person narrative voices are narrative-voice techniques employed solely under the category of the third-person view.

Third-person, subjective

The third-person subjective is when the narrator conveys the thoughts, feelings, opinions, etc. of one or more characters. If it is just one character, it can be termed third-person limited, in which the reader is "limited" to the thoughts of some particular character (often the protagonist) as in the first-person mode (though still giving personal descriptions using "he", "she", "it", and "they", but not "I"). This is almost always the main character—e.g., Gabriel in Joyce's The Dead, Nathaniel Hawthorne's Young Goodman Brown, or the elderly fisherman in Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea. Certain third-person omniscient modes are also classifiable as "third person, subjective" modes that switch between the thoughts, feelings, etc. of all the characters.

This style, in both its limited and omniscient variants, became the most popular narrative perspective during the twentieth century. In contrast to the broad, sweeping perspectives seen in many nineteenth-century novels, third-person subjective is sometimes called the "over the shoulder" perspective; the narrator only describes events perceived and information known by a character. At its narrowest and most subjective scope, the story reads as though the viewpoint character were narrating it; dramatically this is very similar to the first person, in that it allows in-depth revelation of the protagonist's personality, but it uses third-person grammar. Some writers will shift perspective from one viewpoint character to another.

The focal character, protagonist, antagonist, or some other character's thoughts are revealed through the narrator. The reader learns the events of the narrative through the perceptions of the chosen character.

Third-person, objective

The third-person objective employs a narrator who tells a story without describing any character's thoughts, opinions, or feelings; instead it gives an objective, unbiased point of view. Often the narrator is self-dehumanized in order to make the narrative more neutral; this type of narrative mode, outside of fiction, is often employed by newspaper articles, biographical documents, and scientific journals. This point of view can be described as a "fly on the wall" or "camera lens" approach that can only record the observable actions, but does not interpret these actions or relay what thoughts are going through the minds of the characters. Works of fiction that use this style put a great deal of emphasis on characters acting out their feelings in an observable way. Internal thoughts, if expressed, are given voice through an aside or soliloquy. While this approach does not allow the author to reveal the unexpressed thoughts and feelings of the characters, it does allow the author to reveal information that not all or any of the characters may be aware of. A typical example of this so called camera-eye perspective is e.g. Hills Like White Elephants by Ernest Hemingway.

The third-person objective is preferred in most pieces that are deliberately trying to take a neutral or unbiased view, like in many newspaper articles. It is also called the third-person dramatic, because the narrator (like the audience of a drama) is neutral and ineffective toward the progression of the plot — merely an uninvolved onlooker. It was also used around the mid-twentieth century by French novelists writing in the nouveau roman tradition.

Third-person, omniscient

Main article: Third-person omniscient narrative

Historically, the third-person omniscient perspective has been the most commonly used; it is seen in countless classic novels, including works by Jane Austen, Leo Tolstoy, Charles Dickens, and George Eliot. This is a tale told from the point of view of a storyteller who plays no part in the story but knows all the facts, including the characters' thoughts. It sometimes even takes a subjective approach. One advantage of omniscience is that this mode enhances the sense of objective reliability (i.e. truthfulness) of the plot. The third-person omniscient narrator is the least capable of being unreliable—although the omniscient narrator can have its own personality, offering judgments and opinions on the behavior of the characters.

In addition to reinforcing the sense of the narrator as reliable (and thus of the story as true), the main advantage of this mode is that it is eminently suited to telling huge, sweeping, epic stories, and/or complicated stories involving numerous characters. The disadvantage of this mode is that it can create more distance between the audience and the story, and that—when used in conjunction with a sweeping, epic "cast of thousands" story—characterization is more limited, which can reduce the reader's identification with or attachment to the characters. A classic example of both the advantages and disadvantages of this mode is J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings series. However, as demonstrated by Isabel Allende's The House of the Spirits, this mode can capture huge sweeping stories (such as the political history of Chile, a major element of the novel) while also maintaining the reader's intimacy with certain key characters[Is this a fact or an opinion?]. Ann Patchett's Bel Canto also illustrates how this mode can be used to tell a complicated story involving dozens of characters while maintaining intimacy with the key characters[Is this a fact or an opinion?].

Some[who?] make the distinction between the third-person omniscient and the universal omniscient, the difference being that in universal omniscient, the narrator reveals information that the characters do not have. This is also called "Little Did He Know" writing, as in, "Little did he know he'd be dead by morning." Usually, the universal omniscient enforces the idea of the narrator being unconnected to the events of the story.

Some more modern examples are Lemony Snicket, James Eugene Robinson in his novel, The Flower of Grass, and Philip Pullman. In some unusual cases, the reliability and impartiality of the narrator may in fact be as suspect as in the third person limited.

Narrative tense

The narrative tense or narrative time determines the grammatical tense of the story; whether in the past, present, or future.

Past tense

The most common in literature and story-telling in the English language; the events of the plot are depicted as occurring sometime before the current moment or the time at which the narrative was constructed or expressed to an audience. (e.g. "They drove happily. They had found their way and were preparing to celebrate.")

Present tense

The events of the plot are depicted as occurring now—at the current moment—in real-time. (e.g. "They drive happily. They have found their way and are now preparing to celebrate.") In English this tense, known as the "historical present", is more common in spontaneous conversational narratives than in written literature.

Future tense

Extremely rare in literature; the events of the plot are depicted as occurring soon or eventually; often, these upcoming events are described in a way that makes it seem like the narrators uncannily know (or believe they know) the future. Some future-tense stories have a prophetic feel. (e.g. "They will drive happily. They will find their way and will prepare to celebrate.")

Other narrative modes

Fiction-writing mode

Narration has more than one meaning. In its broadest sense, narration encompasses all forms of story-telling, fictional or not; personal anecdotes, "true crime," and historical narratives all fit here, along with many other "non-fiction" forms. More narrowly, however, "narration" refers to all written fiction. Finally, in its most restricted sense, narration is the fiction-writing mode whereby the narrator communicates directly to the reader.

Along with exposition, argumentation, and description, narration (broadly defined) is one of four rhetorical modes of discourse. In the context of rhetorical modes, the purpose of narration is to tell a story or to narrate an event or series of events. Narrative may exist in a variety of forms: biographies, anecdotes, short stories, novels. In this context, all written fiction may be viewed as narration.

Narrowly defined, narration is the fiction-writing mode whereby the narrator is communicating directly to the reader. But if the broad definition of narration includes all written fiction, and the narrow definition is limited merely to that which is directly communicated to the reader, then what comprises the rest of written fiction? The remainder of written fiction would be in the form of any of the other fiction-writing modes. Narration, as a fiction-writing mode, is a matter for discussion among fiction writers and writing coaches.

Other types and uses

In literature, person is used to describe the viewpoint from which the narrative is presented. Although second-person perspectives are occasionally used, the most commonly encountered are first and third person. Third person omniscient specifies a viewpoint in which readers are provided with information not available to characters within the story; without this qualifier, readers may or may not have such information.

In movies and video games first- and third-person describe camera viewpoints. These have nothing to do with linguistic persons. The first-person is from a character's own perspective, and the third-person is the more familiar, "general" camera showing a scene. A so-called second-person may also be used to showing a main character from a secondary character's perspective.

For example, in a horror film, the first-person perspective of an antagonist could become a second-person perspective on a potential victim's actions. A third-person shot of the two characters could be used to show the narrowing distance between them.

In video games, a first-person perspective is used most often in the first-person shooter genre, such as in Doom, or in simulations (racing games, flight simulation games, and such). Third-person perspectives on characters are typically used in all other games. Since the arrival of 3D computer graphics in games it is often possible for the player to switch between first- and third-person perspectives at will; this is usually done to improve spatial awareness, but can also improve the accuracy of weapons use in generally third-person games such as the Metal Gear Solid franchise.

Text-based interactive fiction conventionally has descriptions written in the second person (though exceptions exist), telling the character what he is seeing and doing, such as Zork. This practice is also encountered occasionally in text-based segments of graphical games.

This concludes the five basic lessons for creative writing. I would like to thank you all for your participation. Now we can begin to piece together the story for our class project.

All of the information provided can be found and cross referenced from internet resources. 

Thank you for reading this and May your Pencils be sharp and your mind also