Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Transgender Youth (18 -25s) » Only recently do I feel transgendered; is that possible?

Only recently do I feel transgendered; is that possible?

Tags : None
  •  

(I'm not 100% sure that this post is in the right spot)  

Hello, My name is Kyle, and this is my first post here ever. I have a peculiar problem - I'm 17 years old, and am having problems with my gender identity, the problem is, I've only really been feeling this way for the past three-ish years. I can't think of any memories as a kid where I felt like I was the wrong gender. Although in early elementary school the majority of my friends were girls, I don't remember ever being upset with being a boy - It was always something that I never put a whole lot of thought into as a kid. I will say that I played with dolls, and dressup, and painting, etc. when with my friends that were girls, but again, I never felt any negative feelings towards being a boy. It was just what we did. Most stories that I've read about/from MtF transgendered people usually say that they've felt that way from a very young age, and I don't think I've read any stories of people that hadn't felt that way at a young age. Is it even possible for me to be transgendered without knowing it earlier? 

I should probably elaborate on how I feel; I've always been quite feminine, but it's recently gotten past the point of "effeminate guy" , and I don't really feel like I quite fit in with other boys. I like girls clothes, and makeup, and am envious of girls' bodies. Nowadays', I feel like a girl, say... 80% of the time? The problem being that 20% of the time, I still do feel like a boy. I have a tendency to be a bit of a hypochondriac, and I'm worried that me thinking I might be transgendered is an overreaction to the "experimental teen" phase. Though of course on the flip-side, I'm worried that trying to shrug it of as paranoia is just a reaction due to fear of having such a major crisis, and that I couldn't possibly be subconsiously faking these feelings and emotions. 

I recently came out to my mother about it (Well, technically she confronted me about being a crossdresser, but same difference), and she's been super awesome and supportive about it. She's researched transgenders and transexuals, and she agrees with me that it's perculiar that there were no real red flags in my childhood about it. I didn't want to see a gender therapist about it, if it could be avoided, because it costs a ton, and I don't want to be an economic strain on my family when there's a chace that it could be waisted money ending in "You're not transgender. Goodbye", so I wanted to ask you guys first; is it possible to be transgendered and not know it as a kid? Is it possible at all that my thoughts and feelings could be, well, fake? 

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your time! 

July 10, 2012 6:53 AM BST
  • Kyle,
    Not all of us KNEW we "transgender" when we were very young. You seem to be approaching this situation in a reasonable manner and I am certain you will "find your calling" some day. Hugs!
    I did the "guy thing" for a very long time and I must admit, I enjoyed it... to some extent. and being a parent, regardless of gender, is a very special thing in my life.
    It would be a good idea to see a psychologist regarding your gender identity and it would not cost all that much money and
    since you are a young person, you have time to further explore these new feelings you have.
    I'm certain you will find the right answers as time passes.
    All the best to you hun.
    Doanna
    <p>Doanna Highland</p>
      July 10, 2012 4:04 PM BST
  • I played with girls toys mostly when I was little, wanted to play with the girls but got rejected for being a boy. When i was 7 i said i wanted to be a girl and i was for holidays ect but puberty and pier preasure pushed me off that path and made me lose my self for a chunk of my life i eventually became so miserabal i was forced to reavaluate things and work out what was missing and thus im here.

i would say it sounds like you could be, but i would say in your case puberty has probably highlighted how wrong being male is for you. You should speak to more people and be sure before you take the plunge, belive me i know its dificult when your a teen to be sure about yourself but the answer is there inside you, you just have to keep looking and at some point you will see your true self clear as day

P.S. meant to say Good Luck on your journey

I should also say that i'm still new to this so my advice might not be as sound as others but i belive what i say to be true

This post was edited by Clara - at August 15, 2013 7:54 PM BST
      August 15, 2013 6:51 PM BST