What on earth did we do wrong?

• 2127 posts
    July 17, 2012 10:49 AM BST

I was a bit upset today, to find this message in my email...

"I have been a basic member for about 15 minutes,and already,I do not like your "society"I don't play silly games,and will not play them with you.CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP NOW.I am not shouting.Will not log onto your site again.Its plum un-american.Thank you.Stefeni.Do not email me."

What was that all about?  What on earth did we do to this person in the space of 15 minutes that prompted a reaction like that?

Dumbfounded Katie   ???

This post was edited by katieglover at July 17, 2012 10:49 AM BST
  • July 17, 2012 4:07 PM BST
    maybe the requirement to post a profile before being allowed access to the forums?
    That's a very unAmerican way of doing things.
    It can be bypassed though.
    • 2127 posts
    July 17, 2012 4:32 PM BST
    I don't think so. The software and it's requirements are from Los Angeles. You can't get much more American than that. Also, this is the way that pretty much all social networks operate, including Facebook.

In any case, you can access the forums without even being a member. You just can't post unless you have an account because the software would not know who has posted. That's how all forum software works.

Hugs, Katie
  • July 17, 2012 4:38 PM BST
    the requirement to post a profile and the annoying profile popup stopped me getting to the forums for quite a while until I figured out how to get round it and I'm used to this place. LOL
    • 106 posts
    July 17, 2012 5:05 PM BST
    CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP NOW

If that's not shouting, what is? It took me a while to get use to the place but I can't figure how it's un-American either.

Maybe the person wasn't really one of us special girls or admirers and thought that this "society" was something completely different.
    • 1980 posts
    July 17, 2012 8:43 PM BST
    I kind of feel sorry for her. If she can't find what she's looking for here on TGS, I'm not sure where she might find it, though I hope she does. Best of luck to her.

"We have come a long way, we have a long way to go. In between we are somewhere." -Reinhold Messner
    • 114 posts
    July 19, 2012 4:22 PM BST
    I'm an American. I haven't found anything un-American about it. I like the multi-national character of the place. :-)
  • December 17, 2012 8:48 PM GMT
    Jessi, I'm an American too and equally confused. BUT SHE DEFINITELY DIDN'T SHOUT.
    • 106 posts
    December 18, 2012 5:50 PM GMT
    SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU, PEOPLE ARE SHOUTING.

I have always thought of using Upper Case lettering as shouting personally, but heck I am just mad.
  • December 25, 2012 1:26 AM GMT
    Since we can't think of anything we did wrong, and Stefeni hasn't elaborated, maybe there wasn't anything specific. Maybe she was just having a bad day. I know the customer is always right, but only within reason.