IDHR dismissal of trans complaint raises questions

• August 29, 2012 11:16 PM BST

In a stunning blow to transgender-rights advocates, the Illinois Department of Human Rights (IDHR) has thrown out a complaint by a transgender woman barred from using the women's restroom at work, despite having state ID indicating she is female.

Full story at: http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/IDHR-dismissal-of-trans-complaint-raises-questions/39201.html

• 95 posts
    September 4, 2012 1:05 PM BST

Hi Carol. It is pretty bad that a so called Human Rights Division can rule this way.. wow! I hope she makes an appeal. This doesn't sound right at all to me. They are using an arguement that it is because of her "male" anatomy. Don't people have a right to privacy when it comes to their sex organs? Geez we call them privates for a reason. Who did the test on her and how did that go I wonder .. or is it just nosey people assuming. I'd never let anyone examine my privates as a prerequisite for entry into a restroom. Something seems very wrong here!

This post was edited by Jessica Nova at September 4, 2012 1:06 PM BST
  • September 4, 2012 3:39 PM BST
    I don't know Jessica, but when I saw the article, I thought I would post it in the USA forum for discussion. Fortunately there is no law to prevent a cis-man from using the Ladies loos here in the UK (or vice versa), but you could find yourself being questioned by the police is a member of the public complained (behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace probably). However, if you told the police that you were trans and you had done nothing but use the toilet, the police would probably do nothing because of the Diversity policies which the police work to.