Voice

• September 8, 2012 3:35 PM BST

I keep having a go with Dictaphone in hand just one thing I cant understand.

One day I get Dale Winton the next its Pingu’s dad just not female it all sounds so bad.

Marlene Dietrich, Marilyn Monroe can’t reach nothing like with a voice so low.

All the years of an x wife’s nagging she did such a good job I took it all for granted the female gob.

• September 8, 2012 10:41 PM BST

Deleted

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2013 5:48 PM BST
  • September 8, 2012 10:42 PM BST

Deleted

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2013 5:49 PM BST
  • September 9, 2012 12:26 PM BST
    This is the one which I used to great effect and the one which I recommend:

http://heartcorps.com/journeys/voice.htm

Bonus is that it is only $20 (around £13) - I cracked the secret fairly early on in the tutorials and then it was just a week's practicing -for other people it may take longer, but perseverance will pay off and you will end up with a voice that will not betray you in any circumstances.
  • September 9, 2012 3:05 PM BST
    Thanks wont give in xx
    • 95 posts
    September 15, 2012 12:44 PM BST
    Hi Sam, I would also like to recommend CandiFla Channel on Youtube to you. She has an amazing channel and teaches step by step in many of her videos on voice. She is really amazing and is bold enough to talk in her male voice at times to show comparisons. She also is hilarious. These videos helped me a lot . I'm still not where I would like it to be with mine but I have a start. As she says . PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbaj4tIX1kw

I hope you don't mind I put this next link in also, but I find this video inspiring and fun. This girl has guts! You know you have it made when you can talk and then sing in a fem voice. hope this helps some for you and any other girls out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLoy09-Cfis&feature=fvwrel

• September 15, 2012 7:52 PM BST
    Thanks first saw her about five years back like you say she is so amazing if only.xx
    • 1 posts
    October 9, 2012 4:47 PM BST
    hi sam,
    the secret is don't get obsessed with pitch, it's more about intonation, women speak differently to men. try listening to women chatting together or on tv, try and copy them and practice practice practiseit took me over two years of practice every day to achieve a voice i was happy with xx
  • October 12, 2012 1:00 AM BST
    Many thanks xx
    • 376 posts
    November 27, 2012 8:49 AM GMT
    Your voice is a part of you!

I was sent an appointment for voice therapy and it was so funny I went back for more.

This woman kept recording me and giving me all these things to say. The problem was she had a deeper voice than me.
    On the forth visit she played the recording back and said "listen you are doing realy well" are you practising? No I said , she said why? My reply was "That doe's not sound like me" .

I told her if you want to see me do impressions have a look on Youtube. I then told her I am not coming back anymore , she asked why so I told her if I spoke like that all of the time if people phoned me they would think they had the wrong number.
    Everyone recognises my voice and thats the way it is staying.
    It is a proud voice and has taught a lot of people what being Transexual is "Yourself" It has been broadcast accross the airwaves of 8 counties in the UK and maybe futher.

To me its how you say things not how you sound. A female speaks in a different manner to a male. Most people are not stupid and can tell if they are talking to someone who is a female wether they were born as a male or not.
    I do not mean like Dale Winton! He doe's not talk like a female .

Maybe if I were a teenager my thoughts would be different on wether or not I want to change my voice but I get by ok just useing my natural voice. Being yourself is nothing to be ashamed of.

Just my thought about this subject.

Julia xxx.

• November 27, 2012 11:13 AM GMT
    Julia,

An altered voice is still part of you, pre-puberty you had voice which was part of you, guess what, it changed. You have the power within yourself to change it, it's not difficult, so why not.

Your argument doesn't really hold water I'm afraid, you were born with a set of genitalia which are part of you, yet you would be pleased to change those - what is so different about the voice which is so easy to change - you will still sound like you, just a slightly different you, in the same way that once you have your GRS you will still be you, just a slightly different you.
    • 376 posts
    November 27, 2012 11:30 AM GMT
    Carol.
    You are entitled to your opinions and I am entitled to my own.
    You ask why not? Well why should I? it is my life and I will do as I please with it.

I think you have made it clear you have a problem with me! Just say the word and I will be gone.
  • November 27, 2012 11:40 AM GMT
    No, I don't have a problem with you Julia, and you are quite correct that it is your life to do as you choose - but for many people the voice is a dead give away and they go round terrified of speaking. I wish to blend into society as a woman - not as a transsexual, so I changed my voice (which was very easy to do) and now I don't have a problem (and I do support work on the telephone).

Just because I have opinions which differ from your own and a different outlook on how I want to be accepted by society does not mean I have a problem with you, it merely means we have different views on how we want society to see us. that is all.
    • 376 posts
    November 27, 2012 12:21 PM GMT
    Carol. I blend into my local community and I have gained a lot of friends and respect.

I have no problem at-all with anyone in the outside world knowing that I am a Transexual woman.

If it were not for people like me teaching others the subject of being Transexual it will always be stuck 20 years behind the Gay and Lesbian community.

I respect others opinions and I understand the problems they have but I have spent the last 4 or 5 years of my life trying my hardest to teach people that we are "normal human beings".
    That teaching makes others try to understand that a persons voice doe's not make them a lesser female than the next. We all sound different because we are all different.

I know my openess and honesty sometimes may give others the wrong opinion of me but it is the only way I can be because I am me.

I am me and proud of it and when I am gone from this world I hopefully will have left some thought for others to look back on and learn from.

Julia.

• 376 posts
    November 27, 2012 12:41 PM GMT

IMAGE DELETED BY MEMBER.

This post was edited by Former Member at December 11, 2012 5:12 PM GMT
    • 376 posts
    November 27, 2012 12:44 PM GMT

IMAGE DELETED BY MEMBER.

This post was edited by Former Member at December 11, 2012 5:13 PM GMT
  • November 27, 2012 3:01 PM GMT

Many of us work towards ending transphobia Julia, for instance I am on the Gender Committee of the IAG which works with the police to educate them about transphobia and holds them to account if they are seen to be failing in their statutory duties regarding this. There are many different ways to bring about raising public awareness of this issue - some people prefer to be out and upfront, others prefer to work behind the scenes where we can influence people who have the power to bring about change - neither way is wrong, as both are right in their own ways. With respect to voice, when Helen Belcher present evidence before the Leveson enquiry regarding press abuse, I feel that it would have had far less influence if she had presented the evidence in a male voice than the way she did with a female voice (see http://www.levesoninquiry.org.uk/hearing/2012-02-08pm/ - starting at 55:08)

This post was edited by Former Member at November 27, 2012 7:54 PM GMT
    • 376 posts
    November 27, 2012 6:31 PM GMT
    Bloody hell we have one thing in common!.

Ok whats your point? Is it the fact that I allowed the reporter to call me a Transexual? .
    It was my decision to allow that story to be published and my choice of discription "because thats what I am".

My reason behind that was to send a message out to the public if you do this to me or anyone else you will be punished.

They called my defiant! The CPS told me you will not get a conviction , I asked why and the answer was "Well if you do you will be the first" I was told his solicitor will rip me to shreds.

The prosecuter on my side said she had never met anyone like me , I said what do you mean you have never met a Transexual? She said no i have never met anyone so determined to see this through and get him punished.

It took 3 court appearences before he finaly realised I was not giving up! He finaly changed his plea because next stop would have been a trial.

I moved to Ipswich to set up my own business , this happened 3 months after I had been here . I lost my new home and had to live in temporary accomadation for 3 months paying rent on both. It cost me thousands of pounds of my savings and I also paid 2 men to empty my old home and dispose of everything in it apart from my personal belongings then just deliver those personal items to my new home for another fresh start.

This attack on me had absolutely nothing to do with my voice. The attacker only targeted females! I was his seventh victim but it turned transphobic.

Since this happened I have been offered thousands of pounds by other journalists but not followed any up.
    One offered me £4.000 for 2 hours of my time she asked for a picture of my deceased partner! I asked why and she said it will help build a picture of your life. I refused saying I cannot ask permission from a dead person , she said no story then, I replied goodbye then.
    She contacted me the next day offering me £6.000 I said if you offered me £100.000 the answer would still be no I do have morals.

The Leverson thing is interesting "but" looking at everyone there they look like they are either about to fall asleep or bidding on things on Ebay.

I had the afliction of being born a Catholic and was kicked out of school at the age of 12 after revealing my true gender and had no education from that day. That is why I am crap at spelling and grammer.

One thing I am not crap at is communicating with people.

I can stand up in front of 300 police officers and talk without a script about anything they wish to know about trans issues. I can stand up in front of 800 students and do the same.
    And guess what? I USE MY VOICE as I said it is a proud voice.

At the time that attack happened it draged me down and drained me! I have recovered and am stronger now than I ever have been in my life.
    I will carry on raiseing awareness in my way wether that be in person or in print. Previous to ths attack there have been 5 articals written about me and I have never asked for or been offered any money for them.
    I do it to send out a message.

Julia.
  • November 27, 2012 7:58 PM GMT
    The Leveson enquiry is more than 'interesting' it could have a vital impact on how newspapers are allowed to portray us - and since they would no longer be able to fabricate, mislead and generally mock us as caricatures this could lead to far less abuse in the future.
    • 376 posts
    November 27, 2012 9:44 PM GMT
    RE: Leveson enquiry. There was one interesting person there and that was Helen Belcher.

If you look at the suits there they are either talking to each other or playing with there PCs! Look around they are not even listening.

That inquiry won't change a thing (well not in yours or my life time) they just pretend to listen.

Everything I have done over the years to raise awareness wether that be via Radio/newspapers/online articals/talks ect.
    The one thing that has never happened is I have never once recieved a thank you from a transgender person.

The Mayor has thanked me , the Chief Constable has thanked me , Police Officers have thanked me , Students have thanked me and even the public have thanked me.

My life is fine I do not do it for myself. I do not do it for attention . I do not do it because I have nothing better to do . I do it because I care , I care about the next generation .I care about the Suicide victims , I care aboout the Murders , I care about the attacks.

To sum it up I care about human life.

Julia.
  • November 28, 2012 5:10 PM GMT

Deleted

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2013 5:50 PM BST
    • 376 posts
    November 28, 2012 8:05 PM GMT

Some of you just don't get my point do you?. It is not the way you sound its the way you say it and how you present yourself. There are many Genetic females with deep voices.

There are female Stars who have deep voices!

These 4 example have been quoted as having deep voices.

1 .Mischia Barton

2. Demi Moore

3. Morgan Fairchild

4. Mea West

Now if I sounded like Janet Street Porter I would think of changing my voice.

As for your comment Nicola about Carol not being thanked! Well I have seen many posts on here saying thank you Carol. If you mean the Police have not thanked her then maybe the Police don't see her in the same light as they do me and think maybe she needs no thanks "I cannot answer that".

When I go lets say shopping for example! People who serve me in shops call me various things "Thank you love" on the market the men say to me "Can i help you darling or love" and the same in thanks! Thank you love or darling. Now if those people whom I "Speak to with my voice" saw me as a male do you think they would call me things like that?.

I personaly think you should get a bit closer to Carol because if you have read this thread she states "It is easy to change your voice" Ask her how you can change yours then if you are not happy with it "Its easy" her words.

As for the Flyer I created that is in stores to raise awareness to staff about trans people. You say you know of copyright laws! That flyer has contact details of organisations that "have approved it" on it.

It also has something else on it I do not want spread around the world like a virus . If I alterted that in anyway to post here then the copyright becomes invalid . I woud have to copyright it again with the modifications! Ok that is cheap in my eyes to do but why should I do that? Unless this site is made up of members who all work in shops and other public services it is pointless. If there are any members of this site who work in those places they will get to see it over the next month or two anyway "It is not for public display".

I will some it up once again. It is the way a person presents themselves and the manner in which they do it. Some genetic females have deep voices "And that is a fact".

If any person is going to dress as a female yet act in the manner a Male doe's in voice and manner they will find life very hard in the outside world.

Some may find it easy to change their voice (It must be carol says so) But I say change it if it affects your life and if it doe's not then why bother? I am keeping mine just the way it is. If I get by ok then it proves it is not the most important thing in the world .

PS. I don't want any thanks I was just pointing out a fact. I always make a point to thank anyone who has helped me! Its called being polite.

This post was edited by Former Member at November 28, 2012 8:15 PM GMT
    • 376 posts
    November 28, 2012 11:51 PM GMT
    I am just going to add a few points to this because it seems like I may aswell try to knock down a brick wall with a rubber hammer to make my point.

I moved to Ipswich just over a year ago . Ipswich has a population of over 140.000 people. Since being here I have come accross one ar#shole.
    In the time I have been here I am on first name terms with close to 500 people! Those people respect me for who I am.

When I moved here within 3 days I had to see my new doctor to get a repeat prescription.
    My full notes had not arrived at my new surgery. I was called in to see the Doctor and she said sit down Julia and welcome. She asked what she could do for me? I Told her I need a repeat prescription.

She was looking at her monitor and then asked me, Why are you taking this medication? I replied they are my hormones and blockers. She looked stumped and again asked but why? I replied because I am Transexual and they are what I take. Her reply was sorry i did not realise i have not got your history here yet.

I said to her you must have realised I was not a genetic female you are a Doctor! Her reply was no i had no idea "Again in this conversation I used my voice". I don't do sign language .

When I found a lump in my breast another doctor examined my breast and as she was feeling around she asked me "Am I still having my periods"? I said sorry! and laughed , she said what is so funny? Again I told that doctor I am Transexual I have never and cannot have periods I was born a male.
    I told her you are the second doctor here to mistake me for a genetic female! She said i realy did not know I have not had a chance to look at your records . I did actualy say yes you did know you liar laughing as I said it .

Some people think being female is changing your clothes and then go. There is a member on here who constantly whines about hassle from others. I have met this person and its the attitude and the way that person presents themselves to others that creates the hassle. One day if that person ever realises what is causing the problems then and only then will their problems go away.

The next reply I make on this post will be in Dutch because it is obvious English is not working.
    Julia .