Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » Can you wax your beard????

Can you wax your beard????

Tags : None
  • i didn't knwo where this would fit in but yea. can you wax your beard?

i searched on the internet for a bit, and there have been people that have done it and suppousevly the hair becomes soft kind of like when we first growthem in puberty.

does anybody have any idea on this topic?

October 16, 2012 3:33 PM BST
  • Please don't even try to wax your beard. Its exceptionally painful, will ruin your skin and worst of all distort follicles that will make needle based electrolysis (the ONLY method that works 100%) far more difficult. I booked my first electro session for next week. It expensive, but it is the only poven method that works. My skin is too dark for laser, but you look like an ideal candidate. From what I have read laser is "long term" - but not quite permanent like electro. If trying anything other than shaving for the face, go laser first. The only waxing I do is my legs, chest and back - and I use an epilator for those areas now.
      October 17, 2012 10:17 AM BST
  • well yes, that makes sense. Wax is made of a bunch of chemicals, and on top of that the hair is pulled oppossite to the direction of hair grouth, and i'm sure there are other reasons on how it can ruin your skin, and distord the follicles.

But what about Sugar Wax? it is made out of completely natural ingredients, so it's easy to wash off, and the hair is pulled on the direction of the hair growth. It can't be as bad as you make it sound using sugar wax instead right?

aside form that i've searched the internet and there has been a LOT of men who have done it, and have had no real adverse reactions to it (or at least so they say) and their hair apparently regrows much smoother, but again apparently.

I can understand electrolisis, and laser are THE best ones. But i am a teenager, without a job, henceforth no money.

i just want to see how i would look without the pesky beard in the way, without that five o clock shadow and without it growing in just a day or two.

and wax seems to be the solution.
    so yea, the question stands
    can i sugar wax the beard (ignore normal wax, sugar wax is different)

about the distortion of follicles...are the legs that get waxed and the eyebrows that get waxed, and any other area that is commonly waxed. are those follicles distorted?
      November 9, 2012 6:42 AM GMT
  • Any method that removes hair from the root distorts follicles and that increases the time taken to achieve success with electrolysis. Some electrologists will refuse to guarantee permanent removal if you have plucked/waxed/epilated/sugared etc. Male facial hair is extremely strongly rooted in the skin, unlike other hair on your body. Please use a razor and then Dermablend to cover the shadow - much less painful and far better for your skin. If you are still a teenager, please try and find a professional to talk about your gender identity as starting hormones as early as possible leads to the best outcomes. Most of your beard might still be in its early phase, and anti androgens will stop the remaining hairs from activating. It will also make you sterile - which is why you need to be absolutely certain of the path you are taking.
    Just about everything you ever need to know about hair removal can be found at hairtell.com
      November 9, 2012 8:00 AM GMT
  • Alice,  I was a qualified (DRE) electrologist for many years and I have seen the results of waxing and the difficulties it presents.  Even removing hair in the direction of growth (and this includes tweezing) will distort the follicles over time causing them to go into a spiral configuration and then this makes it extremely difficult to get an accurate probe to the root for successful electrolysis.  Very often this will result in you needing twice the amount of time to clear your facial hair because not only do you have to be more careful (ie less hairs treated per hour), it takes more treatments too.

Many people claim that they get a finer growth - but often they report this because they don't understand the mechanism of hair growth.  Yes, it appears finer because the hair is tapered when it grows back - so appears finer, but if they then shaved this off they would get the thicker, more stubbly hair that is typical of a male type facial hair growth.

If you have a dark facial hair gowth, this cn be successfully treated by laser or electrolysis - red, blonde or white hair was considered not to be able to be treated by laser and only electrolysis would work on this type of hair.  However, very recently a new type of laser has been developed that is said to work on even blonde hair - although how much of this is true is anybodies guess at this moment in time.  As it is so new, I would ask the clinic how sure they were that it will be successful - and if they are adament that it would kill off blonde hair, then I would suggest that you ask them to back that up with a money back guarantee - if it doesn't work, they re-imburse uou the money that you have paid out.

More information about this new type of laser can be found here:- http://www.hairremovalforum.com/laser-hair-removal-research/blonde-hair-removal/46/

This post was edited by Former Member at November 9, 2012 1:27 PM GMT
      November 9, 2012 1:26 PM GMT
  • Hiya,
    I have had a, albeit quick, look at the above link and : folks, please be aware, the spiel makes no sense.

The reason blonde, fair, grey,white and red hairs cannot be effectively or safely treated by IPL or LASER systems is that there is insufficient pigment present.
    Pigment must be present in sufficient quantities for the IPL/LASER to be drawn to the hair bulb. When it is not, the damaging light is drawn to the surrounding skin and structures - not good.

As for radio frequency - what are they trying to say? What good is radio frequency unless it is being harnessed and directed precisely to the hair bulb?
    Electrolysis does this. Laser does not.

Also, this is a home system - you just don't get good, precise, effective treatment in home systems.

This company is trying to align themselves with NDYag etc to blind you with names you've heard of -notice the 'TM' beside 'elos' - NDYag etc are lasing media, not Trade Marks.

Beware!!!
    June x
      November 10, 2012 10:05 PM GMT