Work?????????

Tags : None
  • Employment laws are very different in the USA to what they are here in the UK Tori - and to complicate things, they also differ widely from State to State. Which State do you live in and do they have laws to protect you in your job if you came out as a transgender person??

What sort of work are you involved in is another question and how easy would you find it - for instance some jobs which require a lot of muscle strength are not so good for trans women as you will lose a lot of your physical strength as a result of oestrogen cross hormone therapy and therefore might not be able to physically handle such work.

Once members know where you live etc, we might be able to help you more

Carol xx
      November 15, 2012 11:39 AM GMT
  • I live in the panhandle of Nebraska. I can't move any further than this away from my boys. I have just left a 18 year career in the retail auomotive arena. I have been a sales manager, finance manager, business director and general sales manager. Besides not ever wanting those stresses again I have been unable to obtain a job in retail automotive, as no one wants to take the chance of loosing business due to a public controversy. I currentlly work at the largest agriculutural salvage yard in the world as parts advisor. I love the job because it ties me to my farm girl roots. If they knew they would probably terminate me. I go out of the little town I am in to be me, but pysically I will not be able to hide the changes much longer.

I went to employment services to get help and the advisor there told me to cut my hair and look more presentable if I wanted to obtain employment.

I am sorry mot to make everything complete enough for folks to answer, it was my first post.
      November 15, 2012 12:55 PM GMT
  • I have had a quick look at LGBT rights in Nebraska Tori - and it would appear that you have moved to a State which is very much behind the times I'm afraid. You might like to try contacting the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union - http://www.aclunebraska.org/index.php/lgbt-issues) to more specific advice about where you stand with respect to employment rights in Nebraska.

There are also two support groups fro trans people in Nebraska, but I don't know where they are in relation to where you live - you can find them at this web site http://www.tgguide.com/Guide/nebraska.htm

Good luck love and hopefully there will be others in the States who will be able to give you more than I can from here in the UK

Carol xx
      November 15, 2012 1:28 PM GMT
  • All support here is 8 hours away from where I am at. Thanks for the info though.
      November 15, 2012 1:47 PM GMT