Transgenderism & Religion

• 2127 posts
    December 13, 2012 5:48 PM GMT

From the Janauary 2013 issue of Frock Magazine, we will be looking at how the mainstream religions of the world treat the subject of transgenderism, starting with Buddhism. 

If you'd like to say what you think or if you have had any experiences with churches and religions over your transgenderism, please let us know about them here.

Thanks, Katie   x

This post was edited by katieglover at December 15, 2012 11:21 AM GMT
    • 376 posts
    December 14, 2012 7:09 PM GMT
    Katie have you got a couple of hours?.

I had the afliction of being born a Catholic! The pope and the Church just loves me.

The problem is with "all" religions is that unless you happen to be transgendered the religion itself hates you. By that I mean if a person through no fault of their own is transgendered their religion will turn their back on them if or when they come out.

It happens in all religions not just the one inflicted on me .

Over the years I have spoken to trans people from various religions . The muslim one I found to be the most anti-trans . One girl told me if her family found out her life would be ended (common term murder) For what reason? being themselves. How can they call that love????.

If this so called God made us all , and so I keep being told loves us all then why the hate towards us from religion?.

This government recognises me as female! Yet if I ever wanted to get married then to my religion I am a nothing , never welcome in their church. Not that I am going to get married or enter a church it is just the hypocritical way they work.

In the past I have always given to the salvation army (not a religion) but after hearing an interview on radio where a salvation army head said "All gays and transexuals should be put to death" I have now seen a side of that organisation I now dispise. If they ever asked me for money on the street I would get some out give it to the first person who walks past whom I think needs it more than me. I would then say "There you go thats helping someone" not preaching murder or inciting hate.

I cannot put my own personal experiences here about what catholic adults done to me as a 12 year old after revealing my true gender but I will be happy to mail it to you when you get round to catholics.

Take care .

Julia xx.

• 364 posts
    December 14, 2012 8:45 PM GMT

Julia It appears that your experience of Catholics and attitudes of Catholics is that current 40 years ago. I do not want to get into any argument about religion, but disagree with you entirely. In Sydney there is a Mass every Sunday for people such as us and the gay community.

This post was edited by Joanne Lee at December 14, 2012 8:48 PM GMT
    • 376 posts
    December 15, 2012 2:08 AM GMT
    Hi Joanna.
    I would not argue with you I respect your opinions because you are not attempting to force them on me.
    Also Katie did not put this here to argue about she posed a question.

I stick by my response and nothing or no person will change it because it is my real experiences . As for 40 years ago! The catholic religion has not changed and it never will .

The pope "spokesman" for the Catholic religion openly said not so long ago "Gay and Transexual people do not deserve a life" They were his words. What gives him the right to say who gets to live or die His so called God?

No his narrow mind.

Julia.
    • 0 posts
    December 15, 2012 4:39 AM GMT

Hi Katie

Are you making a request for articles to be posted to this forum?

I have an MA in Catholic Theology, completed recently over the last six years.

There are a number of approaches a person could take if they were to make a formal expose from the position of transgendered persons in Christianity.

I would certainly consider being of service. lol 

CB xo

• 0 posts
    December 15, 2012 4:42 AM GMT
    Joanne Lee said:

Julia.

It appears that your experience of Catholics and attitudes of Catholics is that current 40 years ago.

I do not want to get into any argument about religion, but disagree with you entirely.

In Sydney, there is a Mass every Sunday for people such as us and the gay community.

Hi Joanne

It seems that you are having more success than we had in Brisbane recently.

Personally, I just go to regular mass.

I don't really think its a big deal.

CB xo

• 2127 posts
    December 15, 2012 11:28 AM GMT
    Well girls, you'll be pleased to hear that we are hoping to look at Christianity in our March issue, just in time for Easter!

In the meantime, we'll be checking out Buddhism in our New Year issue and I must say, that it looks like one of the few belief systems which does appear to accept trans people without question.

Hugs, Katie x
    • 376 posts
    December 15, 2012 5:25 PM GMT
    Chalice Brendale said:
    Joanne Lee said:

Hi Joanne

CB xo

Chalice! .

You are in no position to comment on this. You openly admit you live your life as a male so therefore have no real experience of the hate towards transgender people from the church. You have also openly admitted it is your excuse for not posting a real image of yourself 

Try walking your church as a woman then come back and post your results.

• 364 posts
    December 16, 2012 2:47 AM GMT
    julia ford said:
    Chalice Brendale said:
    Joanne Lee said:

Hi Joanne

CB xo

Chalice! .

You are in no position to comment on this. You openly admit you live your life as a male so therefore have no real experience of the hate towards transgender people from the church. You have also openly admitted it is your excuse for not posting a real image of yourself 

• 364 posts
    December 16, 2012 3:07 AM GMT
    Chalice

www.gaycatholic.com/mass asp

I have never been to Mass there as I live in the bush (a real redneck area) but as you can see from my profile am a practising Catholic.
    • 364 posts
    December 16, 2012 3:09 AM GMT
    Joanne Lee said:
    julia ford said:
    Chalice Brendale said:
    Joanne Lee said:

Hi Joanne

CB xo

Chalice! .

• 364 posts
    December 16, 2012 3:12 AM GMT

Julia No comment but I am satisfied with my transitioning although pre op. Unfortunately age is against the final step.

Katie

Sorry for getting away from the subject

This post was edited by Joanne Lee at December 16, 2012 3:18 AM GMT
  • December 16, 2012 3:18 PM GMT

Deleted

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2013 5:33 PM BST