Hello, New Here

• December 26, 2012 12:45 PM GMT

Hi, I'm the mum of a transgender daughter of whom I'm extraordinarily proud.

She first came out about 3 years ago. After the initial shock, the journey began. Our family and friends couldn't get to grips with my daughter at all, and we were forced to move away from our home.

It's been a tremendous fight to get medical help for her due mainly to isolation but also an unsympathetic GP but my girl is now waiting for her operation hopefully some time next year.

I don't know any other parents or family of transgender people so feel like I'm walking this particular journey alone though of course I know I'm not! *bashful grin*

Nice to be here, and to find so much information about the subject. 

• 121 posts
    January 6, 2013 6:18 PM GMT
    Hello Trish and a big welcome!!!

Sounds like an awful start to an amazing journey for both your daughter and yourself

I am so pleased that things are now on the right track

Good luck and best wishes to you both. We are here if you need us
  • January 6, 2013 9:11 PM GMT

Hiya Trish. It is all so common, that the perceived ''sins'' deviations of normal of a child are often either blamed on the parents, or the parents are shunned, as if its some sort of contragous disease and might spread to their children,  especially if they are supportive in instances like this, the same goes for wives and SO's of people transitioning. Family break up, parents separate a conflict of interests. Fathers unable to accept, a son is really a daughter, or the other way around.

This site is excellent for information, advice and leads, any help needed just ask. xxxxx Cristine

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at January 6, 2013 9:14 PM GMT