Hi, Nice to meet everyone..

• 5 posts
    January 29, 2013 7:42 PM GMT

I just thought I would introduce myself.

I am the wife of a transexual. I have been with my partner for 19 years and 3 months and I've been married for 10 years. My partner and I have been on many a roller coaster together and riden the ups and downs of transitioning in a society that can be quiet cruel at times. We support one another through the tough times and we are still in love and holding on to our relationship. We have and still are on a long journey to gain family acceptance but at the moment we have a relationship with them that is tollerable until it comes to family events or being in the public eye and then things become progressively awkward.

My partner was cross dressing when I first met her but was only diagnosed by a gender clinic as gender dysphoric in 2011. She is now on hormones and is nearly the end of hair removal treatment. She has her first referral for surgery in March.

I have pretty much done the journey of supporting my partner alone whilst also supporting family and friends who have found it difficult to understand. I have experienced all kinds of reactions, emotions, denial, anger you name it from all parties but my reason for posting on here is not for sympathy. If I can answer, help, support or just be a shoulder to those who are feeling alone or in the dark and give people hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel then maybe more family and partners will stay and give the support that Trans people need. Its not easy I know and sometimes you really feel like 'beam me up scottie' but you only need to remember that this is still the person you fell in love with, they are still your friend, this is still your son, daughter, uncle whoever. Don't let society dictate who you are and what you should be. You need to be strong and but you'll be a better person for iy. :-)

Please ask whatever questions you like. It will be great to meet and talk to you all.....x

• 71 posts
    January 29, 2013 9:39 PM GMT
    Hi Elsa, good to see you. It's still early days for me, not for my husband though (sorry but not quite sure of correct terminology still). He's had a while to get used to it! I'm doing ok I think, he may say otherwise though...
    it's a vertical learning curve and I'm glad to meet everyone here and get support, ideas, etc.
    So far, it's really not such the big thing I thought it'd be. in fact, I think we are much closer and better for it.
    Hope you get a few more messages. x
    • 121 posts
    January 29, 2013 11:53 PM GMT
    Hi and welcome to you Elsa!! thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like you have it sorted. Its great to have another supportive SO join us x
    • 5 posts
    January 30, 2013 7:47 PM GMT
    Thanks E-J I am glad to be here. Not so sure I have 'it sorted' though. I do have my moments of weakness when I hope people will be there for me lol.
    Hi Elle thanks for your message :-)