This is exactly what we need to do, is it not?

• 84 posts
    • 0 posts
    June 1, 2013 8:07 PM BST

Hey Layla.

It is interesting that females have feminist foundations to call on so their transition can be strongly rooted in political antagonism. Males on the other hand, have Gay Rights to support them. But, on another scale entirely, the question about the visiblity of transgender persons is vexed. Some people are extroverted and have a natural inclination for maintaining a high profile while others, perhaps more like myself, are introverted and prefer anonymity. So there is as much variation in how people allow themselves to be socially exposed as there is in Gender Identities. So, are we left at an impasse? I don't think so.

It is what we need to do but how we do it will be different according to our individual character. Personally, I have no problem with being Transsexual although that may change. In fact, for me there are significant issues about presenting as female whilst in transition. However, as a Teacher, I am becoming more actively involved in raising awareness of LGBTI youth issues in our local community. As a Teacher, my first priority is the young people entrusted to my care. How far and how much I transition to become "more visible" depends on many factors not just the simple realisation that I do not fit the mold of normal heterosexuality.

^*_*^  

Princess Layla said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwHOAbOQX4A

This post was edited by Former Member at June 1, 2013 10:36 PM BST
    • 52 posts
    June 1, 2013 11:10 PM BST

You have raised an interesting issue, Chalice. As somebody who has a significant role in the education and welfare of youth, a teacher could be seen to be too visible to be allowed to transition on the job, as it were. However a teacher who has a good strong reputation with the kids would be an ideal role model for youngsters who are themselves undergoing gender identity issues. Given that the estimates are about one in 1000 (this may not be accurate) the changes are there is at least one child in an average sized secondary school.       

• 434 posts
    June 2, 2013 12:08 AM BST

Alice,

Statistically, 1 in a population of 1000 may not justify the possible confusion to many of the remaining 999. It might be more worth while to approach the situation of the 1 child through the school "Guidance Counselor"

• 0 posts
    June 2, 2013 12:21 AM BST

My thoughts are that the current estimates are extremely low. In this country, where people are given the opportunity, acceptance and support to explore and become aware of their gender identity, transgenders are much more strongly represented.       

Doanna Highland said:

Alice,

Statistically, 1 in a population of 1000 may not justify the possible confusion to many of the remaining 999. It might be more worth while to approach the situation of the 1 child through the school "Guidance Counselor"

• 434 posts
    June 2, 2013 12:29 AM BST

Chalice,

I can only go by what Alice stated...

• 52 posts
    June 2, 2013 10:46 AM BST

I would agree that if presenting as transgendered would have an adverse affect on 999 out of 1000 then it should not be considered. However one has to look at the incidence of gay and lesbian teachers in schools and other prominent roles. These have had a positive effect, to the extent that they are not remarked on any more.  I suspect that even if there was only one transgender pupil in a school, the benefits would be evident on a significant number of other pupils too.

However this is purely hypothetical. I m not about to expose myself as what I am for the benefit of 999 kids.