Beginning from scratch.

• 9 posts
    June 26, 2013 1:21 PM BST

Hi all.

Have decided to start out from the begining and am looking to pick the brains of all you lovely girls.

Looking for advice on what you would consider are must haves in any make-up kit. Tips, tricks, no-no's, online resourses, everything and anything really.

would really like to move away from the " slap it on and hope for the best"  method.

I will cherry pick what I can from the previous posts, but am sure new products are always coming out.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tina x

• 2573 posts
    June 27, 2013 10:23 PM BST

Start by buying inexpensive cosmetics which are often just as good as expensive brand names.  Then if you realize that green lipstick and yellow nail polish are not your colors you have wasted little money.  I buy a lot from the 99 cents only store.  It's as good as expensive brands in many cases (yes, I said that twice).

Understanding your color seasons can help you look your best.    Your skin color and oil levels are the basics that everything is built upon.  Your eye and natural hair color come next.  Age appropriate makeup is also a must to blend in.  This doesn't mean to not have fun with some wild choices, especially at home.  That is part of the maturation pattern of ggs...usually pre and early teens. Learn to care for your skin.  Take off your makeup at night.

If you want to be serious about learning makeup, a good set of brushes is an asset.  Here is where to spend money on quality.  There are some good free websites that can teach you the basics and there are more expensive DVD courses in more detail.  You may start to learn with your male brain, but at some point you need to let "her"  loose to get really good at doing your makeup.  Light blue eyeshadow is a disaster that all girls fall into.  It can be amazing if used in over the top club makeup that takes a lot of skill and experienced judgement.    Also quality/professional makeup may be a necessity there.  I use blues but usually navy eyeliner or mascara because I have blue eyes. A little blue often goes a long way.

Know your climate.  in SoCal your makeup will melt off your face in the summer.  Have an air conditioned car.  I do not want to even consider the Deep South in summer.  In UK, watch out for rain.

I'll post another later with some book titles for learning techniques and buying cosmetics.  COSMOPOLITAN  and SEVENTEEN magazines are useful for learning and keeping abreast of the latest fashions.

• 9 posts
    June 28, 2013 4:05 AM BST

Thanks for the useful tips Wendy.

Tina

• 71 posts
    June 30, 2013 6:30 PM BST
    Hi Tina
    There are also some really good make up tutorials on YouTube. How to do French manicures, how to use liquid eye liner, etc...
    They are good to help you start out.
    Have fun though. You can always clean it off and start again.
    Elle
    • 9 posts
    July 1, 2013 12:05 AM BST

Hi Elle.

Thanks for the pointers. Am sure all the info I ever needed is out there, its just trying to find it, lol.

Tina x

• 6 posts
    July 10, 2015 10:29 PM BST
    I am female and I have just had a friend of mine open up to me about his want to become a woman and make up was so important to him. I've spent time with him showing him how to apply, testing colours to see what colours he suits and making sure he builds up his own make up kit correctly. I'd love to help anyone else to do the same. I am based in Glasgow but am happy to Offer support to anyone who needs it. even if you are far do not hesitate to send me a message! Please don't hesiatate to try thing and see what works. You will only get better at application and choosing correct shades with practise! Xx