Elections

• August 17, 2004 9:47 AM BST
    Just been watching the news on BBC World about the recent vote in Venezula over their president. Now the vote itself doesn't really interest me (apart from affecting the oil price) but the way the voting was carried out certainly did.

How is it a country like Venezula, not exactly a 1st world nation, can undertake its voting electronically. They had computers in every polling station, with fingerprint readers I think to identify people and prevent multiple voting. Makes our poky system of a piece of paper, a pencil and a school hall look positively 3rd world and as for the Florida State voting system of 4 years ago well I won't even mention that!!

OK if it ain't broke don't fix it might apply but when you look at the shamefully low turnout in UK elections and the fiasco of 4 years ago in Florida it makes you wonder why we don't go electronic ourselves. Then perhaps there would be no 'hanging', 'dimpled' or 'pregnant' chads and I could cast my vote from wherever in the world I am on polling day instead of getting my father to cast it for me.

Surely with all the technology we have available its not much to do, especially if Venezula can do it.
    • 364 posts
    August 17, 2004 10:44 AM BST
    Maybe you should try compulsory voting like Australia

Joanne
  • August 17, 2004 1:23 PM BST
    Cerys,

I agree the result could be subject to all sorts of 'problems' without a physical backup to recount etc but surely this could be dealt with in some manner. As for turnout, perhaps if polling stations were located in more places people go to instead of school halls that might help. It might also help if we switched polling day to Sunday like we have in France. That would mean the little brats don't get the day off as well.

I'm not so sure about compulsory voting Joanne as part of a democratic society is the right to express your views or not as the case maybe. How does it work in Australia? What happens if you forget to vote or are away (like I am a lot of the time)? Do the 'Electoral Police' come round and give you a rap on the knuckles? Here's an idea though, when you cast your vote you get paid. OK a small amount but enough for a drink and a pie at Mrs Miggins', might encourage some of the layabouts off their sofa's and into the polling booth.

And you are very right Ziggy considering Venezula is the 5th largest exporter of oil they should be a 1st world nation but its the usual situation, those in power have the money and those left out have nothing. Same in Nigeria, Angola, Saudi Arabia, Iraq (pre invasion). The only countries I can think of that have used their oil/gas reserves for the good of all are Norway and UK (doesn't seem it when you fill up the car though).

I just think with all the advances in technology it seems absurd to still be using a pencil and paper. But our X marks the spots does work better than Florida's system last time and that has to be one thing in its favour, it's simple.
  • August 17, 2004 10:17 AM BST
    Alex

I believe they're trialing an electronic system in some states for this november's poll, and we had some touch screen voting in the local elections in Chester

The problem with electronic voting is there's no "physical" record of a voter's intention making it too easy for a disgruntled loser to challenge the result. Personally I quite like the cross on the paper approach we have in the UK, the only real advantage to electronic voting is speed and that's just to appease the media. But I take your point about punch cards and Florida, what a disaster. Still time for the US to redeem itself this time round.

I don't think the shamefully low turnout has anything to do with the voting system, more to do with the absence of commitment in a post-ironic "me centred" society, but hey that's another story for a very long dull night.

take care
    Cerys xx
  • August 17, 2004 1:26 PM BST
    Pies for Votes - scandal!

.. but I like the sound of that, it must be 'cos it's lunchtime.

C x
  • August 21, 2004 1:00 PM BST
    In Tennessee, we've been using electronic voting devices for years. When I initially heard about the Florida problem in the 2000 election, I couldn't believe that such a large state was behind us in technology. I had assumed all states were doing what we were doing, if not more. I suppose it's hard for some state governments to abandon traditional ways of doing things.