Children as a passing measure

• August 18, 2004 8:00 AM BST
    Children are a good measure.

They seem to know. A year ago I still had kids around me asking if I´m a man or a woman. Some time later they disappeared, but I still got sometimes curious looks from children.
    Now that´s all gone. No more looks...nothing.
    Maybe the sweetest memory of a child was the schoolgirl who asked about my name (a way to find out somebody´s sex). I said truthfully Lauri (I still had my male name ).She said: "No, you mean of course Laura, because you are a girl, aren´t you".

Laura
    • 1198 posts
    August 18, 2004 1:48 PM BST
    Hi Laura and Sandra,
    i think children have more upstairs than we give them credit for, i done a thread a few weeks back about children coping with Transgendered or Transitioning parent's. They interviewed something like 16 children and thier knowledge was far greater than some of us.
    What is it they say "out of the mouths of babe's" children are far more adaptable and understanding of situation's than adult's. So i would say they are quite capable at recognizing which gender you are.........love JJ xx
    • 1198 posts
    August 18, 2004 2:18 PM BST
    This is it Sandra,
    you explain things like our transitioning to younger brothers and sister's and at the age of 18yo and under they don't really care, or have the questions you want them to ask.
    Its when they become over 18yo and they have had a bit of life themselves it becomes an issue with them........love JJ xx
    • 1198 posts
    August 18, 2004 3:08 PM BST
    Thats the way i look at it Sandra, but the good thing is your brother know's so might not be so offended if by any chance his friends do find out about his sister. Notice i put sister because that is how he see's you more or less now......i hope that is true anyway.
    Lets hope all goes well for him and for you of course......love JJ xx
    • 1198 posts
    August 18, 2004 4:01 PM BST
    Sorry Sandra i didn't realise, well when they start to notice the way your changing ie: in your dress and after you told your brother you cried alot, i think you might be suprised how your brother react's.....i reckon it will be positive, because it seems to me you and your brother are close or am i jumping the gun there........love JJ xx
    • 1198 posts
    August 18, 2004 5:15 PM BST
    Sandra that is so nice to hear, i am really happy for you. Thats how it was for me when my parents found out about me, this sunday just gone they saw me for the first time as JJ and they were brilliant(my dad more so).
    Now all is left is my brother but thats a different story......love JJ xx
    • 1198 posts
    August 18, 2004 5:40 PM BST
    Thank you Sandra,
    yep you are right i was worried about my dad, but he seems to be more at ease with it than my mum. It is a feeling of liberation and excitment at the prospect of not being treated like a stranger.
    I hope soon i will be congraulating you when you show your parents who you really are....did i put that in the correct context?........love JJ xx
    • 1198 posts
    August 18, 2004 5:48 PM BST
    LOL Sandra can't quite imagine myself or you in a wedding dress,but funnier things have happened......love JJ xx