Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Make-Up Tips » More on face shaving (booooo!)

More on face shaving (booooo!)

Tags : None

Ok, I have been doing the "shave after shower" routine, and then shaving AGAIN right away. Love the razor burn. And it never seems to be close enough, does it? So while i am waiting for lazer, and am gettiing all those grey hairs zapped by electrolysis, I have discovered a product that actually WORKS! It is Clinique Face Scrub for men. The difference between teh men's version is "a cool menthol feeling" (there is) and supposedly softens facial hair. So this morning, i showered and shaved, then used teh face scrub. The shaved again. Big difference. No razor burn and definately closer shave. Try it, it is about $18 USD, but you only need to squeeze out about 1.5 inches or so to so your whole face. Should last a while, well, depending how much you shave! Don't leave it out and brush your teeth with it by mistake!

-Robin xxx

September 14, 2013 8:21 PM BST
  • When I had this issue, (and I had more shadow than Indiana Jones), I simply shaved with the grain and then against it. I always used a gel instead of foam as that was nicer on my skin and of course put some lotion on afterwards. Despite having a heavy growth at the time, it worked great and never left me sore. After a lot of money spent on laser and electrolysis, it's not necessary anymore. (A lot of money but money well spent).  

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      September 14, 2013 8:33 PM BST
  • Or you could do like I do and just put a bag on your head! Don't forget to make 2 holes so you can see where you are going , it works wonders and I look just like Julia Roberts but with a bag on her head . If me and her stood side by side with bags on our heads you would never tell the difference , just like twins we are.

On a serious note , like Nikki I spent a small furtune on laser but there is also a product called Vaniqa, it is available here in the UK on prescription for £7.85 GBP (12.45 USD) but can be bought for a ridiculous amount of money on the internet £60.00 GBP (95.26 USD) It keeps the little buggers from coming back and also prevents/slows growth if you have not had laser or electroysis .

Julia x.

September 14, 2013 11:04 PM BST
  • I haven't heard of that product before Julia, but then, I'm not in the UK. I would have been surprised if it had worked on me though, as my facial hair was very course and thick. 

Now though, I don't have anywhere left to laser, my whole body has been done! Sheer bliss!

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      September 15, 2013 10:01 AM BST
  • Hi Nikki , I was very lucky I suppose because I have never had hairs on my legs and very little on other parts of my body , it just won't stop coming out of my head though , I rekon it grows 2 inches a month. Vaniqa would have worked on course hair or not as it is absorbed through the hair to the folical and slowly disables it , they are always there though just dormant , and can cause a few ingrows but it has more benifit to those who cannot afford laser and electrolysis if obtained through your doctor on prescription.

On internet sites and maybe even the instore Pharmacy (if it is still here) it is very expensive so laser would always be best in the long term. Any search engine will tell anyone about it.

Julia x

September 15, 2013 10:58 AM BST
  • Thanks Julia, it sounds like it is something I may have tried in the early days, but I've had a lot of laser and electrolysis now so it's probably not worth it. 

September 18, 2013 4:52 PM BST
  • I´ve found a solution with my dark and medium growing beard. I always shave in the shower. First I use Gilette "Pre-Shave" gel, http://www.gillette.com/en/au/products/skin-care/before-the-shave/face-wash.aspx

Then I use Gilette Lady Shave gel instead of male gel. Gilette also have a trimmer set including a fantastic vibrating razor, http://www.gillette.com/en/us/Products/Razors/proglide-styler-beard-trimmer.aspx.

And after the shaving I put on a facial scrub for the total finish. Works for me, I´m satisfied with the result of my "tranny-shave".

Tiina

September 21, 2013 12:29 PM BST

Yes, i always shave after a shower, but my 2nd shave may not be for hours later. i have used gels, hot towels, I do shave twice anyway even after shower-shave, once and then again "against grain". Also, teh ladies Hyrdo razor works well, with a release of soap or something as you shave....

-Robin xxx

September 21, 2013 3:03 PM BST
  • I always shaved before and after shower with a battery operated razor (not an electric razor). I had great results.

I have since did more than a year of laser and almost no facial and neck hair to speak of.

I had to stop for a while and still have very little facial hair.
      September 28, 2013 3:08 AM BST
  • Hi Robin,

What works for me, is to shower, wash face, and rinse off, then soap your face again using Dove soap.  I found that the water softens up the beard, then I shave while still in the shower.  I know it wastes water, but the running water and steam keeps the soap from drying, plus, no other way ever worked for me. Also, I use Gillette Fusion. Pricey, but the blades last about two months. 

Nicole

March 6, 2014 7:23 AM GMT

Thanks Nicole, shaving is a lot easier now that i have had lazer on my face! Still have some grey hair to "electrocute" out!

Ouch!

-Robin ; )

March 6, 2014 11:53 PM GMT
  • robin w said:

Thanks Nicole, shaving is a lot easier now that i have had lazer on my face! Still have some grey hair to "electrocute" out!

Ouch!

-Robin ; )

I'm in the same boat actually. This thursday I am getting my 4th laser session for my face... I have 2 more after that, spaced 4 weeks apart. I am 36, so I have my fair share of silver hairs... especially on my chin and neck... I DESPISE the neck ones, especially right over my trachea. I can't ever seem to get those completely smooth unless I am willing to shred my neck with razor cuts. I am super pleased by my cheeks though, it looks like I never had hair there before.

I am not looking forward to electro, mostly because everyone tells me that there is potential scarring and it hurts like HEEEEELL!!!

March 12, 2014 6:03 AM GMT

Yes it does!!! Have fun!! I'll be flinching right along with you...  ; /

March 12, 2014 11:42 PM GMT
  • I get an amazing shave by using Art of Shaving preshave oil, the Proraso shaving soap in my scuttle (shaving bowl with a chamber for hot water) to get a nice warm lather. The a three-pass shave: with, across, then against the grain. I experimented with a straight razor. It's said that it provides the closest shave, but I couldn't get the hang of it. Lost too much blood!!!!
      January 21, 2015 2:13 AM GMT
  • Okay, I have to go more by what I did back in 99. I don't know as there was lazer back then, or if there was, it was so exhorbitant as to be unfeasible. I did electrolysis for a while. They did my whole mustache and beard area. So one would think that years later I would not be able to grow a mustache or beard. Yet, today I sport both. (I really, really, would love to get rid of them, but that would raise questions. As I am letting my hair grow long.) Maybe had I continued HRT, which I really, really wish I did. Now Groupon has a number of Lazer specials. Hmmmm.

May 28, 2015 11:50 PM BST
  • I empathize.  I'm just now begining to act on my life long dreams; all in the closet so deep that there's no light with the door open.  I'd love to have electrolosis (I understand that laser only works on dark hair and my beard is quite grey). However, I do not want querries either.  I, too, am wearing my har longer and dealing with those comments are bad enough.

Too bad; so sad  :-(

May 29, 2015 3:46 PM BST