Can hormones have an effect on food?

• September 28, 2013 8:20 PM BST

Serious question for anyone who is transitioning and is on hormones.... is it possible that taking hormones can have an effect on the food you eat? 

The reason I am asking is because all of my life, I have loved to eat fish.... but since starting on hormones around 18 days ago, I have tried on 3 occasions to eat fish and every time I have, I have ended up vomiting it all out! 

I am just curious as to whether or not any one else has experienced this, or whether or not I should be looking for another cause to why I no longer seem to be able to eat fish. 

• September 28, 2013 8:49 PM BST

I have been on hormones several years,and I love fish and eat alot without any side effects. it is well known that hormones

can change your sense of taste and smell.maybe this is happening to you in a negative way,or maybe you got ahold of

some bad fish.hormones will raise your triglecerine levels in your blood and I take 500mg krill oil a day to steady this.

so I guess if your hormones and fish dont get along its a rare reaction. like they say hormones effect everyone differently.

• September 29, 2013 12:51 PM BST

Thanks for your response to my question Charlene. 

As I am still in the early stages of being on hormones, I am hoping that if they are the cause of me having problems eating fish, that given time things will settle down and I can start again eating it again. It may just be like you mention as well.... maybe I have been unlucky and had some bad fish.

Once again, thanks for responding.

Nicola