Kudos to Katie Glover...

• 105 posts
    March 4, 2014 5:40 PM GMT

... for her measured contribution to the Independent's coverage of the Oscar win by Jared Leto in "Dallas Buyer's Club" http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/jared-letos-best-supporting-actor-oscars-win-sparks-backlash-from-transgender-community-9168770.html

Such a pleasure to read so reasonable a response in these times of uproar and outrage.

Hugs,

Judith

This post was edited by Judith Harmon at March 4, 2014 5:42 PM GMT
    • 1652 posts
    March 6, 2014 2:23 PM GMT
    Yes, well put Katie.
    I don't know why the "transgender community" should be up in arms about a cis man playing a trans role, they seem to miss one of the intrinsic aspects of acting.
    That said, it would be nice to see in a UK soap the next Hayley Cropper played by an actual transsexual.
    xx
    • 105 posts
    March 6, 2014 7:50 PM GMT

Hi Lucy,

I too find nothing inherently objectionable in the portrayal of a trans- character by a cis - actor; as you say, that's what acting's all about.

What I did wonder about, in all the debate over Jared Leto's performance, was why they cast a male actor to portray a transwoman. If there's an implicit suggestion that the character is 'really' a man, so you need a male to act the part, I'd think it ill-considered. After all, the pre-operative (MtF) transsexual in Transamerica was played by a woman, to some critical acclaim as I recall.

And it would indeed be refreshing to see a transsexual actor in mainstream TV, though I'll only believe we're making true progress when he/she is playing a cisgender character, and the Daily Mail TV critic reports on the acting, not the actor

hugs,

Judith

• 3 posts
    March 11, 2014 2:37 AM GMT

I think Katie hit it out of the park with this!

Have read it several times in different spots and always enjoy it. This piece and Calpernia Addams blog about it are my "go to" points of reference in defense. Knowing Calpernia? If she thought anything about it questionable, she'd have kicked the project to the curb and never consulted with Leto on the part.

So nice t osee others that "get" the fact that it's acting! Do we dis Frankenstein and Dracula because Boris and Bela were mere humans and not "real" monsters?

Khloe