Myths of Visually impaired and blind people

• 106 posts
    March 15, 2014 10:37 AM GMT
    There are some myths that surround the partially sighted and blind community.  Some of them are below and I have put my own little twists on them as well, so sit back and enjoy.

1)   Don't worry about saying things like "Ok, see you later", "See you tomorrow", "Keep an eye out." or even "look out." and then suddenly look guilty.  These are
          just several everyday phrases and we won't be offended. Blind People can't see.  In fact 96% of people registered blind have some vision that can range from
          seeing light and dark to having enough vision to read a newspaper or even ride a bike.

2)   Sitting to close to the television will harm your eyes Sorry, there's no evidence to suggest that sitting too close to a TV will damage your eyes. Sit where ever you
          are comfortable.  Phew, I was worried there for a second, as when I was a kid, I had to sit in front of the TV all the time until I was given a low visual aid (small
          telescope).

3)   When addressing a blind person YOU NEED TO TALK LIKE THIS. They've got problems with their eyes, not their ears.  If you just want to say something back, I
          have 3 suggestions.  1) SORRY I DIDN'T REALISE YOU WERE DEAF, 2) Sorry I can't hear because there's an idiot shouting and my personal favourite, 3) Sorry I
          can't hear you, I am blind.

4)   Blind people know everyone from the sound of their voice. Family, friends and workmates maybe, but how often do YOU recognise someone's voice on the
          phone?

5)   A blind person's other senses will compensate for sight loss, so they'll develop things like super hearing.  The other senses don't compensate for sight loss.  You
          may pay more attention to what you're hearing, smelling, etc, but you don't get any bonus super powers.  I hate to watch films and TV programmes, where they
          have an episode with a blind person, who can smell a fart at a 1000 metres away, hear a pin drop a mile away and have a inbuilt GPS device that they can walk
          around anywhere without any help from people, guide dogs or any sticks, and their super powers disappear when the bad guy comes after them in their own
          home.  Oh, I know there actually blind people who click their fingers and/or tongues so sound bounces off solid objects, like buildings, walls and parked cars, etc.
          like a dolphin sonar but it's not a perfect way to move around and these people aren't like the Marvel hero Daredevil.

6)   Here's one from America. Blind people, to maintain secrecy and security, staff the snack bars at the CIA A lot of blind people DO work within government buildings
          in America, but it has far more to do with a very successful employment drive, than national security.  The FBI had a deaf agent called Sue Thomas who was used
          to read lips on stakeouts and such like.  They even made a TV series called Sue Thomas FBEye.   Damm, I in the wrong job.  The name's Bond.....James Bond
          007 and 3 quarters.  So Mr Blowfelt, where are you......Hello......Anyone there.....Anyone.....

7)   All blind people know Braille. Only around 1 in 10 registered blind people use Braille. Most cases of sight loss happen later in life, and, as you get older, the
          sensitivity of your fingertips is reduced.

8)   Blind people feel other people's faces. “Hello, is it me you're looking for) Lionel Ritchie has a lot to answer for here. Other than maybe finding out if you have a
          beard or not, feeling your face gives absolutely no indication of what you look like.

9)   All blind people have guide dogs. Only a tiny fraction of blind and partially sighted people have guide dogs. This is mainly because most blind and partially
          sighted people are elderly and simply can't walk, feed, and generally look after a healthy and lively animal. For those who do have guide dogs however, they are
          invaluable aids and companions.  Mind you, if you did have one, you just may get a free drink in the pub, LOL.

9)   Blind People don't watch television. Over 90% of blind people regularly watch television, and, as is only fair, they get 50% off their TV licence in Britain.

10) Guide Dogs can read signs and can see traffic lights. It's the guide dog owner who is in control, not the dog. With subtle commands through the harness, the
          guide dog owner is telling the dog to turn, cross the road or stop, although if a guide dog sees something such as a car coming, he knows not to obey until the
          danger has passed.  If your guide dog can read, then I wonder what kind of books they would read.

11) Blind people can't do normal jobs. The days of basket weaving and piano tuning are no more. With a speaking computer, there are few jobs that a blind or
          partially sighted person cannot do. There are blind teachers, lawyers, social workers, computer programmers, painters, radio and TV presenters.  The problem with
          working in a shop is that it's the stupid customers who come in who are really blind.

12) Blind people always need help. Sometimes maybe, but always ask first. Some would welcome a hand other's really don't need it.  Never grab someone and take
          charge.  No one likes to be grabbed or taken over.  My mum does nag but that's what they are there for.

13) Can you get Playboy in Braille?  Yes you can, but there are no tactile pictures.  Damm, even I didn’t know this.  What’s the point of having a Playboy anyway if the
          articles are in Braille but no....erm....tactile pictures of the young ladies.  I would read the articles myself, LOL. You can get most books in Braille or audio. In fact,
          only 5% of books ever make it to an alternative format. So 95% of what you see in any bookshop will never be available to blind or partially sighted readers. 
          Since I have cataracts, which is stopping me reading my books, I have to get them on audiobooks and download them on my external hard drive or get them on
          discs.  It saves on space as well.

14) Blind people make wonderful musicians. Nope. Musical talent is as evenly distributed through the blind and partially sighted community as it is in any other cross
          section of the population. Well, that's it, I won't be able to do Britain Has Talent or X Factor (Thank god).  I do know what the notes are on the white key on a
          piano and I wish I could learn how to play guitar.
    This post was edited by Suzy Russell at March 15, 2014 10:45 AM GMT
    • 4 posts
    March 18, 2014 1:25 AM GMT
    Interesting article. I knew all that because I was married to a blind person for 16 years (who has a big chip in her shoulder over it, but that's more due to her personality), but you shared in a witty way.

Thanks!
    • 106 posts
    March 18, 2014 10:21 AM GMT
    I found it on the website of Insight Radio, a British (Scottish based) radio station for us visually impaired/bloind people which sort of made me laugh in some places and nod knowingly in others.  Just thought I add my own humourous thoughts to it.
    • 178 posts
    March 19, 2014 5:06 PM GMT

Well done Suzy.  Loved it.  My wife who is partially sighted, or partially blind, whatever you prefer, has real trouble seeing things most folk can see.  She - understandably - gets upset about that.  Tell me though, why is it if I have a run in my tights or lipstick on my collar ( I wish Wink) she can spot it at a hundred yards?

• 106 posts
    March 20, 2014 2:50 PM GMT
    If I ever have makeup on, I am going to let someone else do it.  Might end up like a clown from a horror movie if I did it myself.