OK, this is awkward!

• 95 posts
    May 9, 2014 12:00 AM BST

OK, so you know I quit my job at woodshop, and my friend Rich had a boat he didn't have time to finish so he gave it to me to finish, with owner's OK. So as I am working on the catboat, a guy asks if I would look at another boat that needs varnish stripped and sanded. Yeah, sure. So Robin heads over with "Phil" to check out this 40' sailboat and I gave him a price and the owner's said go ahead. Now we see one another frequently around this boat yard and i doin't know if he thinks i am a guy who just likes to dress/look like a woman. or if he believes that I am a woman. I have no idea!  So yesterday he asked me to look at yet another boat, a Nonsuch, weirdest looking sailboat ever, possibly (apologies to anyone who has one!). Anyway, we get to the ladder and "Phil" says, "after you, maam". So I think, "OK, that's settled" but later that day I was leaving to go to Boston, and I had changed into shorts and a "flowey" top, and freshened my makeup a little, and he looked at me kind of weird, lile he is thinking "...ok, I think you have taken this a little too far, Robin" What to do, what to do?? 

• 2017 posts
    May 17, 2014 3:33 PM BST

What to do? Stop worrying about it, Robin. 

He may still be trying to figure you out but so what. The 'ma'am' comment may have been deliberate to see how you would react but basically, you are probably being treated in the gender you are presenting, which he is assuming is female. He may be thinking, 'well, she's female now but was she always?' So he is looking at you 'kind of weird' to try and understand this. 

My advise? Don't over analyse it and just carry on as normal, do your job and pick up the pay. 

• 95 posts
    June 22, 2014 3:55 AM BST

You  are right Nikki, it was nothing. i think i may have already blogged this but one guy at the yard asked me out to dinner!

-Robin