Society, acceptance and the Media.

• 171 posts
    May 11, 2014 6:56 AM BST
    I'm interested to know people's reaction to Conchita's Eurovision victory... Those outside Eurozone will be able to read all about this, just Google. Is this positive promotion and a help? On a similar note in London (even more parochial, I'll be referring to activities on my own street next...) a new channel has launched 'Drag Queen's of London' what's your view on this too?
    • 178 posts
    May 11, 2014 3:14 PM BST

The Eurovision Song Contest is a monumental folly at best, but don't let's take that way from the winner.  Well done.  That said, We have homophobic countries like Byelorus and Russia demanding the the winners performance be edited out.

Quick question - what do they have to do with Europe anyway?  Back to the caves, you Neanderthals!

• May 11, 2014 4:16 PM BST

Quick answer - Russia and Belarus are in Eastern Europe. Not that hard to work out even for me.

A more sensible question would be - What have Israel got to do with Europe? No one ever asks that one.

• 1652 posts
    May 11, 2014 5:54 PM BST
    I was working last night so missed the Euro this year, but I actually quite enjoy it even though I agree it deserves most of the stick it gets, particularly the often dismal europoppy boom-bang-a-bang style that is often chosen for the songs, surely not really indicitive of the popular music of each country. Having said that, a few decent songs usually find their way through to the final, though sadly the better songs rarely win! I do love hearing the tradtional influences, however fleeting, for example in the more easterly countries.
    I didn't know who'd won this year untl I read this thread, so have had a quick listen to the winning song. I have no problem with a bearded drag queen, or whatever "label" she prefers, winning the competition. But I think the song is awful. I do of course approve of the message of tolerance and acceptance, but find it hard to believe the winner was voted for purely on the musical merits of the song. Music is all about personal taste of course, and without having heard any of the other entries, including our own, I am fairly confident there will be a song in there somewhere that I prefer, or if I may be so bold, would consider a better piece.
    I'm a professional musician and can't help taking an interest, many of my colleagues think themselves above such rubbish, but really I just think it's a bit of fun, sometimes good, often cringeworthily bad; part of the fun surely.
    I wondered myself what the likes of Israel and Azerbaijan were doing in an apparently European competition, but have discovered that eligible partcipants only have to be part of the "European Broadcasting Area": "The "European Broadcasting Area" is bounded on the west by the western boundary of Region 1, on the east by the meridian 40° East of Greenwichand on the south by the parallel 30° North so as to include the northern part of Saudi Arabia and that part of those countries bordering the Mediterranean within these limits. In addition, Azerbaijan and those parts of the territories of Iraq, Jordan, Syrian Arab Republic, Turkey and Ukraine lying outside the above limits are included in the European Broadcasting Area."
    So there you go, it is a television contest after all.
    Well done Conchita, and best of luck to you. Personally I don't think the beard is a good look, but I'm entirely tolerant of it.
    xx
    This post was edited by Lucy Diamond at May 11, 2014 5:57 PM BST
    • 2017 posts
    May 17, 2014 3:19 PM BST

Perhaps the question should be asked, 'what do you think of the winning song' without having seen the singer? Too much emphais is on presentation, and while that is important it should not take precedent over the song, which unfortunately lived up to the usual eurovision standard. Personally, I didn't like the song, so the singer's presentation was of no importance to me. 

• 171 posts
    May 17, 2014 11:20 PM BST
    To all that replied, thank you. Actually I've never heard Conchita's song (thank goodness) nor in fact any of the entrants, as I only caught 30min worth of voting and Euro Politics. What I understand is that Eurovision is about 15% genuine musical ambition, 15% sensationalism, 70% politics disguised as pap music. I defer to Lucy's educated reflection upon the merits of the music.
    Actually the post didn't generate a conversation around the theme I was most interested in, which was whether the winner was doing the Transgender community a disservice by encouraging tabloid reactions - which I reflect I may be engaging with. Pushing boundaries is of course always worthy of applause and support. Conchita may well disappear, but hopefully in a years time she will return to Europe's consciousness and We'll be able to gauge whether her motives were genuine.
    It is regrettable - I think, that Eurovision has become a camp political parody, perhaps the final curtain needs to be drawn on the whole thing?

Regarding 'Drag Queens of London' maybe I should appear on it before pronouncing upon it, but I think that it's prominence on a newly launched TV channel has more to do with sensationalism than acceptance. But what queen ever wanted to sit quietly in the shadows anyway?

I sense I have a lot to learn...

Rachel x
    This post was edited by Rachel de Blanc at May 17, 2014 11:22 PM BST
    • 2573 posts
    May 30, 2014 2:11 PM BST

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/laverne-cox-becomes-first-transgender-person-to-appear-on-the-cover-of-time-magazine-9458084.html

Acceptance and the Media?   

Laverne Cox: OITNB actress is first transgender person to appear on the cover of Time magazine

See her interview with Time magazine in full here. The issue is out on 9 June.

This is the kind of  morning that reminds one that there is somewhere special that they have not been in entirely too long.