Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » Abusive Anti-Trans Radio Hosts Fired!

Abusive Anti-Trans Radio Hosts Fired!

Tags : None
    5 2127 2‚ 0

I'm pleased to report that following an amazing outburst of anti-transgender abuse yesterday, Kimberly Ray and Barry Beck, the hosts of The Breakfast Buzz on Rochester, N.Y., radio station 98.9 The Buzz, have now been fired by the station's parent company, Entercom Rochester.

This is an incredible story.  What on earth were they thinking?   How did they think they could possibly spout all that hate-filled drivel and still keep their jobs?

You can read the original story and hear the actual radio segment at...

http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/2014/05/21/rochester-ny-radio-hosts-go-transphobic-rant

...and then get the latest on the story at...

http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/2014/05/22/rochester-ny-radio-hosts-fired-following-transphobic-rant&c=kx3coZ35zblf4ybvEIhkxtoHACQxA4hgcukmwPNg0Ec&mkt=en-us.

Then tell us your thoughts on this by replying here.

I'm still dumbfounded by it all.  Astonishing!

Katie

Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm!
    This post was edited by katieglover at May 23, 2014 4:15 PM BST
      May 23, 2014 4:12 PM BST
  • Glad I don't live in New York.  I knew some places in the states were bad, bible belt in particular, but it's hard to believe people in a place as diverse as New York would be like this. I am really glad to see the parent company stepped in and did what needed to be done, the world that we are forced to live in is changing for the better, but not fast enough.

Briana Lynn
      May 23, 2014 4:42 PM BST
  • Getting paid good money to abuse the freedom of speech, and then not expect reporcussions(sp?) is a little nieve, and totally foolish. Stations should blackball them and steps taken to remove their Fcc Licenses.  If nothing else, use these offensive, ignorant people as a test case.  

Bobbi

This post was edited by Bobbi gruetter at May 24, 2014 1:25 PM BST
      May 24, 2014 1:23 PM BST
  • Jaw-dropping ignorance.
    Their dismissal shows that the world IS changing.
    Thanks Katie, it is indeed astonishing. Yet reassuring that people in the public eye (or ear) are no longer getting away with this sort of thing.
    xx
      May 27, 2014 12:12 AM BST
  • I recently read an article for women about 8 stories where the guy did not have a clue.  After that I will believe anything about cluelssness.  The thing is they fired some other radio station person for that kind of crap not long ago in the US.  How could they not know about that?   Why did the station not tell it's employees:  DON'T DO THIS.

"A live lived in fear is a life half-lived." - Native American proverb. "Inside every man is a woman who was drowned in testosterone before birth". - Wendy Jeanette Larsen "It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not." - Andre Gide (French writer)
      May 30, 2014 8:28 PM BST
    I felt sick hearing their ignorant, hate filled comments. Looking on the bright side, the force of a quick backlash shows how the world is changing for the better, and that's what we need to focus on. The more attention this kind of ignorance gets, the more it is exposed, the more chance society has to clear it up. I'm sure that many in Rochester and the state of New York were a part of the backlash too, something not to be forgotten. This post was edited by M G at June 5, 2014 6:38 PM BST
      June 3, 2014 2:56 PM BST