Sgt Bowe Bergdhal traded for 5 Taliban

• 95 posts
    June 5, 2014 4:50 PM BST

One might think that as a veteran, I would come down hard on this trade, but i don't. The US has two conflicting laws:

We don't negotiate with terrorists, and We don't leave our military personnel behind on the battlefield. Now which trumps the other? I happen to side with Charles Krauthammer (ok, ok, sit down, c'mon)  who said those in the West “put a value on the individual human life the way that the ones at the other end of the table don’t,” specifically citing an example in which Israelis had to release 1,000 terrorists in exchange for one sergeant who had been taken captive. Exactly, do we want to bring our morals down to the level of the Taliban, who behead captives and hang them up for display? I didn't think so.  If he were my son, yes, I would be embarrased. Yes, if his desertion proves to be the case, then he should go in front of a court marshall. But I would be so thankful and overjoyed he was home and in the hands of civilized people. Just my two cents...

-Robin

This post was edited by robin w at June 5, 2014 4:51 PM BST
  • June 6, 2014 4:25 PM BST

Robin .

Putting laws aside and myself losing a close friend from an IED look at it this way. If he gets punished for what he done then to me that would be wrong , 2 reasons. He is not a coward , he can't be . He layed down his weapons and walked off knowing he would most likely be captured by the Taliban! Cowards do not do that as the Taliban would not welcome him with open arms , he must have known he would face torture or death , cowards would not do that . Second reason. He must have been mentally unstable to do it , war does that to people , is that his fault? No it is not .

He deserted but that does not make him a coward or a criminal so he should get treatment if he is mentally unstable , not punished for it. It takes a brave man to walk into the arms of the enemy unarmed for what ever reason was going on in his mind.

Take care , Julia x

This post was edited by Former Member at June 6, 2014 4:27 PM BST
  • June 6, 2014 8:59 PM BST

Or you could look at it this way. If the President asked . I need a man to walk off base unarmed and take this piece of paper (its not real) to the Taliban , and the man in question stepped forward what would happen "He would get a medal" .

Okay that is not what happened but , if his mind was so screwed up from war he should still get a medal not punished for it.