Why do I want people to know I am Transexual?

• June 12, 2014 7:07 PM BST

To start I can spell the word. When I was about 11 or 12 years old I read the dictionary , yes all the way to T.  I had to find out what I was but , there were no instructions , there was no internet. The spelling was Transexual back then , I think someone in the USA took the S out of maths and put it in Transexual.

From a response to something from the home page I have brought this here. So why is it so important to me that others know about me. I now cannot escape it after going to the media years ago , I have no wish to escape it.

Being Transexual is not easy , more so at a young age , pre and post puberty seemed to be the hardest part for me. Does it get easier? I some ways it does but , you will need some foresight. Getting married and having children is the biggest mistake made by most. I did not get married or Father any children. I had a long term relationship with another woman but I made her aware of myself at the start. Her being a bit of a Tom boy I think helped a lot. After 23 years together she died suddenly , I was then very alone.

That part of my life of being alone was not a good time for me , I came very close to ending my life. One day I came to my senses and told my doctor , that was the start to my road to happiness.

It is so important to me that others do not have to go through what I endured , I would never wish that on anyone.

What brought this topic up? A new hair style , sounds crazy doesnt it? . That is what I was responding to , my visit to a new salon. I changed salons because I wanted to meet different people . When I walked in to book my appointment in part of the conversation I said as you may have guessed I am Transexual , what really? was the response from the young girl . I said don't lie you knew (I say that a lot) She said she had no idea.

There were 6 stylists there and not one of them had met a Transexual , it made a good change to them to talk about something they were unaware of , and not the weather. I was asked a lot of questions and answered them all , they learnt from me , get the picture?.

I have no shame in myself , why should I? It has been a very hard and interesting journey , I have made so many friends , I have met people I never would have , some very famous . To end this! It all comes down to pride , yes I am very proud of what I have achieved. I am pleased I did not make that mistake of ending my life , I gained a new one .

Julia xx

• 143 posts
    June 12, 2014 9:02 PM BST
    Life can certainly be a journey of many things - some positive, some negative. The best part is finding and being oneself and sharing that with others so as to teach and also learn along the way. Thank you Julia for sharing and your choice - sometimes we never realize the lives we touch and the good things we affect change in through this. I learned a lot here and in reading this. Thanks : )
  • M G
    • 373 posts
    June 12, 2014 9:59 PM BST
    We need to be more visible. Too many people associate transgender and/or transexual with very limited and negative ideas, like 'trannies' embarrassing themselves on Jerry Springer for one example. They don't see past those ideas. Transgender people are slowly starting to gain some momentum for a better image in society. Hopefully we can 'ride the wave'. Much of society still needs to learn that while we may not be 'normal' we are most definitely normal. We are just normal people like everyone else. I had drafted a blog on this, I'll need to look at it again and perhaps post it...
  • June 12, 2014 10:02 PM BST

Well being an transexual is rough  but being a trans sexual with D.I.D  is even worse.

Yes it been a little better for me knowing what has had happen to me.

Wondering why i feel this way .

Feeling differant than the other boys and girls in school

Life as  how (Wendy) put in another forum as being "two spirit is extremely diificult.

Even when it has been de fined to you by professionals.

being instructed by these pro fessionals to inform those im "involved"  with  as to what gives.

Doing this has cost me  bussines  . associates  ties. it has cost me what i thought was LONG established  friendships .

Relationships be came  non existing .      

Yes this life of mine sucks bilge water, but at least i know the cause of my delemia

This post was edited by michelle/mitchell self at June 12, 2014 10:03 PM BST
  • M G
    • 373 posts
    June 13, 2014 12:21 AM BST
    michelle/mitchell self said:

Well being an transexual is rough  but being a trans sexual with D.I.D  is even worse.

Yes it been a little better for me knowing what has had happen to me.

Wondering why i feel this way .

Feeling differant than the other boys and girls in school

Life as  how (Wendy) put in another forum as being "two spirit is extremely diificult.

Even when it has been de fined to you by professionals.

being instructed by these pro fessionals to inform those im "involved"  with  as to what gives.

Doing this has cost me  bussines  . associates  ties. it has cost me what i thought was LONG established  friendships .

Relationships be came  non existing .      

Yes this life of mine sucks bilge water, but at least i know the cause of my delemia

Cheer up, you are still uniquely you and wonderful for it. : )
    • 2017 posts
    June 14, 2014 3:44 PM BST

I don't care if people know or not to be honest. I have friends who do know my past and I have others who have no idea. I'm not treated any differently by any of them so it's not an issue. Dealing with being transsexual is a hard fact of life that you have to come to terms with sooner rather than later to make your life easier. 

Our views are based on our personal experiences so are affected by a great many factors such as friends, work, country and locality and not to mention our genetic profile which we cannot affect; so if you are lucky enough to be androgynous it will likely be far easier for you than a 6' 2" broad shoulder TS girl. 

It's not all bad, and it's becoming much, much easier. We aren't far off transexualism being a non issue, at least in Europe. 

• June 14, 2014 10:35 PM BST

Thank you for that Nikki and why should you care? . It is just a must for me that others know and always will be.

There has to be a few of us for others to learn from to show we are not freaks. A gene went wrong through no fualt of our own.

Thank you and take care .

Julia xx

• July 4, 2014 3:57 AM BST

Hmm,

As of now, 45W% of the United States are christians who do not approve of anyone labeled 'different'. More visibility and exposure I dont think will do much good right now. I think the thing that is most important is helping each other, and getting an education in science or engineering because that is where the most employment is right now. Too many people hate transanything because they may have been oppressed so they choose to inflict harm on others that are different. I have more success by defining myself by what my skill set is more so than being a lesbian. I dont tell people I meet I am a lesbian and married to a woman. They see me as a mathematician or a tall woman of color and I am fine with that. So instead of being in the main stream just live a regular life then after a while people look around and then you can say oh here is an engineer, or here is a molecular biologist...and she or he is transgendered and no one even knew...I think then peoples hearts and minds would change. But yeah stuff like jerry springer that airs on a regular basis.....thats bad mojo.