Why are some of you afraid to post in the forums?.

• August 25, 2014 9:33 AM BST

It is in the title so why?. Just yesterday a topic was started and this does happen often. Members here type a reply on the home page , so what scares you so much that you cannot just click on the link and respond in the topic?. The home page is there for temporary items and here they stay for others to respond to.

The point of a forum is to have debate or offer support ect. A response on the home page is fine but it will be forgotten tomorrow. There is nothing to fear here and the forums are the major part of this website along with its members.

The forums here are under used but can help so many other people. To you it maybe a small thing but to some it can be big and help. You can offer some support or just share your experiences. However small something may seem to some it may just give someone the answer or just give them a lift if things are not going well.

Thank you and take care , Julia xx

• 1652 posts
    August 25, 2014 12:24 PM BST
    It's a mystery to me as well Julia. And made further baffling by the fact that when a forum post appears on the front page, in order to read the post in full you have to click the link that takes you here to the forums. So why then do people go back to the home page to comment on the snippet of a forum post when they could, and should, just respond to the full post here?
    So I'd also like to know - is there a reason for that? Do you not want your comments to be saved, do you prefer them to be disposable and disappear from sight within hours so other people don't see them? Don't you want to be part of the debate? Or do you just not realise the purpose of the forums? 
    The more people that take part in the forums, the better they become. And you never know, someone might value your opinions; they will remain here and may help members in the future.
    Your throwaway comments on the front page may only be seen by a handful of people shortly after you make them, and then they're gone, forever.
    xx

• August 25, 2014 1:48 PM BST

Well I am pleased I am not the only one it baffles Lucy. I see comments on the topic on the home page but there is only so much that can be said before the characters run out so the response has to be short.

The one thing I had thought of is that some members think the home page is not visible to non members . Although Katie has now made the forums more secure a lot of the home page can be viewed by non members.

I have thought that because this a public forum may be some want to remain anonymous! If that is the case and they think someone they know may be looking at it then they have to ask themselves this, Why are they looking? Not looking for a new TV  that would be Currys.com or whatever. Others looking in on this from outside have some reason for wanting to look but they are not looking for family friends ect. If they are looking to learn from us then I can only see that as a good thing , it is in a way awareness.

These forums are far to much under used and some headings may aswell be removed completely. the Transgender music forum has died .The Cooking forum? Dead , maybe everyone eats takaway , I think my Whisky cake was delicious! Okay maybe not but I believe that was the last topic posted there! Or was it the boiled egg? .That was way back and is under the name of Former Member but it has my name in it.

The forums can help people , they can be fun or serious , which ever it is there is nothing to fear about them.

Thank you for your response anyway Lucy.

Take care , Julia xx

• 155 posts
    August 25, 2014 2:59 PM BST
    Hi Julia and Lucy, I cannot believe it! This is the very first time I have been able to get onto this forum on my I-pad!! I normally use my I-pad for privacy reasons etc, but, whenever I've clicked on the general forum tab just a blank page came up! No problems with the full members forum, just the general one which is why I've posted some things on the home page! No problems if I use the desktop PC or my laptop, just the I-pad. But today I can do it for some reason! Hope it stays like that))) so from now on I will be using the general forum most of the time if my I-pad will allow me to xoxo
    • 1652 posts
    August 25, 2014 4:30 PM BST
    Well that's one valid reason, Linda, thanks for that, but very glad it's working for you now.
    Does anyone else have technical issues getting into the forums?
    I remember your whisky cake Julia, that's usually how my cake making adventures go. But I'm a keen cook so maybe I'll post some recpies up in the future.
    xx
    • 155 posts
    August 25, 2014 4:43 PM BST
    I posted a few jokes a couple of days ago)
    • 1652 posts
    August 25, 2014 4:53 PM BST
    That's debatable, Linda!
    (tee hee...)
    xx
    • 155 posts
    August 25, 2014 4:55 PM BST
    Hmmmm just like my old school reports....."must try harder" lol xx
    • 26 posts
    August 25, 2014 10:07 PM BST

I wouldn't say I was afraid to post on a forum, it's just that I don't have the experiences most have here and can find little of use to say.

Sarah xx

• 155 posts
    August 26, 2014 1:15 AM BST
    Oh Sarah, Sarah, Sarah, you do seem to undervalue your opinions sweetheart! We ALL have a life story full of experiences and, I'm sure your life is as rich with these experiences (good or bad) as the rest of us here! It doesn't have to be "cutting edge" stuff, just anything....e.g. You might have bought a new pair of shoes that you really like, you might want to share an experience from your past, wether funny or sad, you might want to talk about your journey to where you "are now!" We really are interested about anything because that's why we are all here, it's a place for us ALL to relax and be ourselves so, please feel free to express yourself in whatever way you wish and DONT be such a "shrinking violet" lol xxx
    This post was edited by Linda T at August 26, 2014 3:47 PM BST
    • 2017 posts
    August 29, 2014 6:14 PM BST

The forums used to be used far more bu the current FB style of homepage seems to negate them somewhat, which is a pity. It's pretty hard getting to know someone's charachter when all they do is 'like' something rather than give their opinion and experience on it instead. 

I do feel that like Sarah, there are probably quite a few girls who feel they lack the experience so cannot comment, to those I would say, YOU CAN, we want to hear your take on the subject just as much as anyone else's. The TG world is constantly evolving and we have members from around the globe so everyone has a different viewpoint. 

The forums have always been used by a small group of people who are often sharing their thoughts on a given subject so it is easy to see that newer members might feel a little intimidated by this. There is no reason to at all, we all had to submit our first post and let others see what our take on the subject was. 

Please, ladies, don't be shy, be more involved. 

• 2358 posts
    February 21, 2015 12:12 AM GMT

Some of us, like to share what we have learned in life, it might help others,, there are forums here where you can learn things, have a laugh in the fun forum, vent your spleen in the Polytics forum, we all have lives outside of being transgendered.   If you find some thing you never knew, just add a thanks or a never knew that, great stuff, that was funny, have you heard, did you know, just join in. everyone has their own opinions, take on things.   or just go to the procrasination thread. cheer up.