wigs vs real hair

• 2 posts
    December 14, 2014 4:42 PM GMT
    Hi everyone

I was just curious to know how many transsexuals you know of that have to wear a wig 24/7 as they might of suffered from severe male pattern baldness or just prefer to wear one than have there own hair, although I'm sure the latter is rare. In my case, I couldn't grow my own hair as I have receded too much for it so I either have the option of wearing a good quality wig for life or get a hair transplant. I was quoted £9000 by a UK hair clinic in Harley Street recently who said they could give me a full head of hair again although it would take a long time for it too grow long, possibly 5-6 years. I would also have to remain on Finasteride for life which would cost £250 a year to supply. 

How important is hair to you? 

Joanna
  • December 14, 2014 7:54 PM GMT

Hi Joanna

I am okay as I have a full head of my own hair and at times wish it would just stop growing as the speed it grows I often wonder if someone has put miracle grow in my shampoo. I have met a fair few trans girls over the years who have lost their hair and use wigs. From what I have seen only one looked genuine and that was because she invested in a real human hair wig and I could not tell the difference , it looked beautiful.

My hair is very important to me and to hold on to it I take finasteride daily which is £7.85 on prescription and that does not equate to £250 a year it is about £92 . The main thing that is needed  for anyone that wants to hold on to their hair is a Decapeptyl injection every 3 months which is also £7.85 on prescription. I understand that is not much help to you but it may help someone else.

Take care Julia

• 2 posts
    December 16, 2014 8:42 AM GMT
    Thanks for the reply julia. If I still had a full head of hair myself I would take Finasteride to make sure it never falls out but to go down the hair transplant route and wait several years for it to grow and remain on Finasteride for life, I'd actually rather stick to wigs. Obviously I would love to have my own hair but for me my health is more important as Finasteride has been linked to depression leading to suicide in some cases, a rare form of high-grade prostate cancer which is the most deadly kind, liver damage and the list goes on.
  • December 16, 2014 9:34 AM GMT

Hi Joanna.

I do not understand part of your post! You say "You would" take Finasteride if you had a full head of your own hair but then say "You would not" take it because of your health is more important. Is that not a contradiction?.

Finasteride was developed to help prevent prostate cancer not cause it. I am 57 years old and was depressed before I started taking it along with Oestradiol and am now very happy with my life. My Kidney and Liver functions are as good as anyones half my age and I have been taking mine for about 9 years now.

If I were in a situation where I had lost my hair I would not waste £9000 on a hair transplant. I would opt for a human hair wig because synthetic ones have a very un-natural shine to them and I have seen them on trans girls after they have been washed often and they then look like old dolls hair. Human hair wigs if looked after just as you would your own hair last a very long time and look how hair should look and feel.

• 2017 posts
    January 19, 2015 6:09 PM GMT

I am lucky that I have my own hair. I suppose I would use a wig as that is preferabel to being bald but it would be very problematic for me as I am always doing fitness of one sort or another, plus I race in triathlons. I could not do that in a wig and I wouldn't do it bald! Eeewww! It would be difficult to do anything sporty to be honest. 

I do know of full time TS's who wear wigs, very good ones, and you cannot tell that they are not real. Being human hair I guess they are 'real' but you know what I mean. As Julia said, you do not need to spend £9000 either, that's simply someone taking advantage of another person misfortune.