Leelah's sucide

• 178 posts
    January 7, 2015 8:34 PM GMT

If you have not read the letter that Leelah left to be read after her death, when she had walked out in front of a truck - please do so now.  It is here:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2891267/Transgender-teenager-leaves-heartbreaking-suicide-note-blaming-Christian-parents-walking-tractor-trailer-highway.html

Leelah died tormented, lost, unloved (as far as she was concerned), a victim of bias, prejudice and, yes, hatred in her own town, and even in her own own family, of disbelief and arrogance and mis-guided religious principles.

Her "so called " Christian" therapists asked her to look to God for help.  They treated her - as far as I can see - as someone tainted, diseased.  Not much love there, was there?  I know that here on GS, we have a broad spectrum of people some of whom hav a religious belief, and some who have none.

In this situation, it is not important.  What is important that here we have a young person so tormented and hurt that she felt she had no other option but to end her own life to get relese from her pain.

Her poor Mother seems to have taken upon herself - driven by a misunderstanding of Biblical teaching - the role of judge and jury - if not executionar.

I will nail my colours to the mast - I  do have a basic Christian faith. Very basic. If I get my panties in a wad (or knickers in a knot) I ask Catrriona.  She usually just looks up and says "What would Jesus say? "

Now that is so far different from what our persecutors would say.  They would quote the Old Testament- usually Deuteronomy.  And if they are right follks, it is not only wrong to crossdress, but it is also worthy of damnation to wear clothes made from different fibres.  OK - so Obama, the Pope and 99% of the human population are in trouble.  Ooohhh. I love my Lycra and.....!

Perhaps, if you have a moment,you might care to go here, and see what some people are doing to mke some sort of sense of Leelah's death.  If you do, thank you.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justice-for-Leelah-Alcorn/752262548182134?fref=ts

Best,

Amanda

This post was edited by Amanda Bruce at March 1, 2015 11:54 PM GMT
    • 143 posts
    January 7, 2015 8:57 PM GMT
    It is indeed sad - when I heard of this I quickly hurt - her inability to find anyone to talk to, no place to go, and no acceptance leaves me very sad. When I first heard of it - I wished I happened to be neaby before she took those steps - to just call out - try and talk to her - let her speak. I know I'm nobody, but I would tell her 'it's okay - you're okay'. Thanks for the post Amanda - we need to remind ourselves why this site exists, that there are many of us facing all sorts of issues out there, and with open communication we might be able to help each other and others who come along. 
    Hugs for all of us, Briana : )
    • 2358 posts
    January 7, 2015 9:31 PM GMT

There is a hoplessness spawned by ignorance,    I came to a point in my early life, walking out in front of traffic without looking not caring, despondant.    I am an agnostic, but if there is a god, don't blame him, blame the people that brainwash their congregations and misinterpret what god is suposed to represent., to boost their own agendas.  

All things bright and beautiful,
    All creatures great and small,
    All things wise and wonderful,
    The Lord God made them all.

I have spent most of my life seeking answers and reasons.

When will they ever learn.

• 5 posts
    January 7, 2015 10:26 PM GMT

It's a sad state of affaairs whe someone feel's life is no longer worth living. Been down that road before and it wasn't pretty. Have no idea how I got beyond how I felt. I did make it though. Take a good look at me now. That's me''

Always......Always go and do what is right for you. Never forget who you are. The real you. Good News.....Your going to be just fine

Christine Charland

Owner/Operator

Transgender Insight

trnasgen24.com

• January 7, 2015 10:28 PM GMT

How can any Mother chose a belief over her own flesh and blood? . Some do.

How can any Mother sleep at night after pushing her own flesh and blood to suicide? . Some do.

How can any Mother carry on with life knowing that she caused her own flesh and blood to end thier life? . Some do.

How can this woman call herself a Mother? . She did .

Leelah had a whole life ahead of her but that was taken away from her because her Mother thought more of something she cannot see or hear or touch. Leelah was there to be seen and heard and touched but was not. That is so so cruel to treat any human let alone your own child.

I know all of us here would do anything to go back in time and be there to stop her walking into the path of that truck. Does that mean we care more about her than her own Mother? . Yes but we cannot go back though can we? .

All of this is pure ignorance , nothing more. When I look at images of Leelah I see someone beautiful and innocent. Why could no one else more so her own Mother not see that?. Why could she not see past what a book says and give Leelah the love she cried out for? . Ignorance! That is what this is , the words of a book meant more.

This is so sad and there is nothing that can bring Leelah back but , we must never forget her.  Crissie has asked when will they ever learn? . Not in our life times.

It is fine to have beliefs but to put those beliefs before your own flesh and blood should be made a crime because that is just what it is.

I could go on but I think it best I stop here CryCryCry .

• 5 posts
    January 8, 2015 1:11 AM GMT

Transgenger is a lot to digest.....So are all the other letters......Peace....:)

• M G
    • 373 posts
    January 8, 2015 2:47 AM GMT
    https://www.change.org/p/barack-obama-enact-leelah-s-law-to-ban-transgender-conversion-therapy
    • 2358 posts
    January 8, 2015 6:03 PM GMT

I wonder if its possible to set up a protest page on GS, similar to the one that was set up for Amy, so as GS members we could collect signatures for causes, like this and then send them en-blok to relevant organisations, the power of GS for the common good.

• January 8, 2015 6:09 PM GMT

I was then about to set up a book of condolence forum for members to add their words to Crissie but I think we should also go with your idea.

Julia xx

Edit: Spell error.

This post was edited by Former Member at March 1, 2015 11:57 PM GMT
    • 2358 posts
    January 8, 2015 6:19 PM GMT

Thanks Julia

Something like this could highlight there is a place here for people like Leelah and other despondant people, to get support, as well as showing our support for change and our abhorance for bigotry and religous nutters.

• January 8, 2015 7:19 PM GMT

Leelah would have been under age for GS Crissie but she could have accessed the forums for infomation. She needed real people to talk to. I did post in a forum topic that it would be good if GS could have a seperate place for under age users. They are more at risk than older people and need more interaction if they feel so alone. The only ones that could have prevented Leelah's suicide were the ones that should have been closest to her. The ones that should have been there for her and listened.

A seperate part of GS for under age transgenders where access was not allowed by other members unless completely trusted (And that means checked out fully) Would be a great resource here.

Julia xxxx

• 178 posts
    January 8, 2015 8:28 PM GMT

I like what Julia is saying.  Us older folks (present ompany excepted, of course) have had the time to develop a hard shell.

But younger ones, who probabl are the ones with most problems are those who really could deal with support.

Is there any way we could implement that?  How could we make it safe for them?  Could I, for example, go through a CRC to make sure that people had trust in us?

Answers on a postcard please.  Love all of you caring people,

Amanda.  G'night all!

• February 3, 2015 9:56 PM GMT

That is so sad to hear. In Russia a lot of people that don't fit in are supressed by the church and goverment.  I feel sorry for Leelah. She was so young!

• 1 posts
    March 2, 2015 12:45 AM GMT

She is why or how I am here this day.