Request for participation

• January 12, 2015 9:32 AM GMT

Hi

All First off, I hope I do not upset anyone with this post. Please note that I recognise the possibility of the content being upsetting to some but at the same time I am trying to better understand some issues that affect our community. I am writing this in a genuine attempt to deepen understanding and 'ventilate' issues we may face. I therefore apologise in advance and hope that you read this in the spirit and tone that it is intended.

I am writing an article for Frock magazine (frockmagazine.com) on the connotations of the word 'tranny'. If you do not mind assisting in this survey, could you please reply to this thread by answering the following questions:

1. Where do you live (country is fine)?

2. On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being the most negative) how negatively do you feel about the word 'tranny'?

3. Does the word 'tranny' have any positive connotations?

4. Would you ever use the word 'tranny'?

5. If so how, when etc?

6. Has anyone ever used the word 'tranny' offensively against you personally in an insulting way?

7. What does the word 'tranny' bring to mind for you?

8. Anything you may want to add

I may ask to 'interview' some respondents in more detail. Please note this is entirely at your discretion and if you want to be anonymous in the article I will respect that. You can either respond to this here or you can private message me.

For reasons of balance and statistical relevance I will be posting this survey on a few different sites. Please only respond ONCE and apologies if you see it multiple times.

Regards

Daniella

This post was edited by Former Member at January 16, 2015 2:32 PM GMT
    • 2358 posts
    January 12, 2015 10:50 AM GMT

Of course there is a facility on GS where you can launch a poll.  further to my PM, thinking about it, after we changed the name from Trannyweb to The Gender society, quite a few people, who openly labled themselves Tranny's (transvestites)

left the site saying the new name smacked of elitism and was only catering for the more serious transgendered, I believe most of those went on to join a site called TV Chix,  (in my opinion)  a more seedy type of site. 

http://gendersociety.com/polls

• January 12, 2015 11:43 AM GMT
    It's our word, we get to use it. Reclaim the language and all that. You don't go round calling people "ma niggas" do you? It's not your place. It has been reclaimed.
    As for what it brings to mind - 1950's saucy postcards, the worst excesses of 70's British TV (hoho!) comedy, and a cosh with which to beat anyone who is on the trans spectrum at all. Its all so tragically dated.
    Generally speaking I couldn't care less what people call me. Im not going to stand and take a heap of abuse from anyone but I think you have to roll with the punches a bit too. I'm a musician, it would be unrealistic not to expect the odd crack about G Strings!
    Anyway, my name is Maggie, that's what I answer to.
    • 2358 posts
    January 12, 2015 2:28 PM GMT

Yes people have called me a Tranny with all the expletives and bigotry attached,    But I sometimes use the word in an affectionate, jovial all inclusive way.    I  came up with a quote, its actually been adopted on a famouse quote site.

''We are all in the same boat, some of us are on different decks, but if the boat sinks, we all get stuffed equally''  

Anybody can take any descriptive word, label and turn it into something derogatory and offensive, the word transexual, transgendered,    certain sections of society, usually the ignorant knuckle dragging troglodytes even make up sayings,  Its all about education, I would rather be called an fing tranny than a poo jabbing shirt lifter,   So why so many in our society are annoyed and  disgusted with the word Tranny perhaps this should just be about general bigotry and abuse.

• January 12, 2015 2:35 PM GMT

Thanks Cristine

I don't think a poll would work for my purposes though as I am looking for a few data sets...

Perhaps I can do a follow on piece around bigotry and abuse (thanks for the idea) but let's see what the data reveals.

D

• 2358 posts
    January 12, 2015 3:05 PM GMT

The polls on here usually receive more attention now than posts in the forums, because its unfortunately more prominate on the home page. you can pose questions, get votes for each question and get comments,

eg. http://gendersociety.com/polls/view/146/charitable-donations

It would reflect what your looking for % wise, depends on how you phrase the questions.

Would be interesting to find out how the sub groups, within the community feel about the word.

ie.   I am Transgendered/transexual  do I find the word tranny offensive.   yes.

.......................................................ditto..............................................   No

I am a Transvestite occasional dresser, do I find the word ofensive.     yes

.........................................................ditto.............................................  No

used within the communitsy                                                                    No

its always offensive.                                                                               yes

To get a true perspective I think you would need more time.

• January 12, 2015 3:25 PM GMT

Hi Daniella-

Given the analytical exploration that you apparently seek, I believe that you can obtain comprehensive data only by taking Christine's suggestion and use the GS polling facility.

Until then, I am a condident person and realized a long time ago that the only thing that can really hurt me would be if I die. Consequently, I am not very attentive to words. However, there are words in any language which for politeness and etiquette should not be used in civil society. Although I must admit I was a member on the "Tranyweb" before it became the Gender Society, but it was an exceptionally useful site way back then.  

I am from Boston; on your scale I would use a 5; I don't normally use the word, but would not offend myself if I ever did; no one has ever used the word to me, but if someone did while I was out in the general public; obviously, I would note it as an offensive comment.  Lastly, this is not on my radar screen.  I am so delighted to be able to walk outside with a smile on my face and pleasant thoughts, that what anyone would say to me would have no relevance.

Good Fortunes.

Jacqueline

• 746 posts
    January 12, 2015 5:29 PM GMT

Richmond, Va., USA...

I think the term "tranny" is viewed differently in different cultures...Maggie makes a good point in that "WE own it"...but the term does not offend me as most people are ignorant in how to deal with us when they find out.  They use the term they have heard in the media or other's conversations.  No big deal to me...

I've been called it more than a few times, but not in a derogatroy manner.  Again, it was a lack of a better term by those using it, who were always men in a social gathering.

I do not use the term and put a "5" rating on it for not having any real emotions to the word.

I cannot think of anything positive about the word and it only shows me how little others are schooled on us...

I personally prefer transexual, CD, or transvestite, or some of the other "labels" as it does segregate you according to where you are on the Gender "dysphoria" spectrum.  But a TV in the USA might connotate something entirely different in the RSA...

Hope this is helpful...

Best wishes always!

Traci xoxo

• January 12, 2015 6:56 PM GMT
    Oddly enough I've never liked transsexual, it plants the word "sex" into people's minds and I don't think that does us any favours.
    • 178 posts
    January 12, 2015 7:51 PM GMT

Before we go any further, would you care to share with us on which sites you wish to disseminate your received data.

When you do share it, will it be shared as raw data, filtered data, or interpreted data?

If it is to be filtered, what will the filters be?

If it is to be interpreted, by whom, and by what criteria.

You see, you are dealing with matters that have a significant impact on the respondents' lives, and I - for my part - would like a bit of clarification.

• January 13, 2015 10:03 PM GMT

Amanda what have you done?Smile.  You asked questions to the person asking the questions. Oh well I guess she is to busy to answer you.

Words withing words! Maggie says she does not like the word Transsexual because it plants the word sex in people's minds. I am never going to go to Sussex then! Or middlesex - Wessex? Shall I go on? . I am not to pleased with the word Transgender but I would not say no to having the Transmission fixed on a car if it went. I use Transport to get me from A to B . Words within words are everywhere but they do not mean the word within the word is refering to a single part of it. People would not say they were not getting on a London Transport Bus because they think it is full of Tranny's because it contains the word Trans or not go to Sussex because that is where the Tranny's hang outSmile.

Anyway Amanda well doneSmile Julia xx

And Daniella as Crissie has pointed out you can start a poll or is it just members personal information you are after?. You are a total stranger here and you say you may ask to interview respondants in more detail???? Good luck. Looking at your website you have had plenty of chances to interview people face to face. I would have no problem with you interviewing me face to face but , you would need a bloody good reason for wanting to.

Take care , Julia xxx

• 746 posts
    January 13, 2015 11:16 PM GMT

*like*  

xoxo

• January 14, 2015 7:02 AM GMT

Hi all

Apologies for the late reply, but I was rather ill yesterday.

Amanda, the data will be cillected and analysed by me.

I will then use it as the basis for an article I am writing for Frock magazine.

What is done with it after that I cannot say.

It may well appear elsewhere, or it may not as it is really out of my hands once I submit ot to the editor of Frock.

I do not intend putting it anywhere else myself.

I do not intend presenting raw data. Nor will I use anyone's names unless they give me permission.

I trust that answers your concerns?

Daniella

• January 14, 2015 10:16 AM GMT

Julia, I accept I am a stranger here and I apologise if I have ruffled a few feathers by jummping straight in. It is not my usuaal style, but here is the story: I wanted to do the research and write the article. I needed a big enough group of respondents from a 'wide enough' geographic area (I am hoping for as many English speaking countries as possible) and I am on deadline. A friend suggested this forum. I had never heard of it before, I know bad of me, but hey ignorance is ignorance. Given that I am on deadline, I ddi not have time to 'settle in' and I accept that I may not be trusted. Sorry...

I must say so far most people have understood this and accepted that I needed to do what I needed to do. Also, I have been welcomed with open arms and this looks like a cool place, I am sorry I did not find it earlier. I will certainly hang around more often in the future.

Please feel free to participate (or not) in the ssurvey. It is entirely your choice.

Thanks

D

• January 14, 2015 1:26 PM GMT
    Hi Julia
    I actually do want to know why you feel the way you do. I am trying to get more understanding, but again your choice...
    D
    • 2358 posts
    January 14, 2015 3:54 PM GMT

I suggest you click the link and read the comments, an invaluable perception on how different sections of our community react and empathise with each other.

http://gendersociety.com/forums/topic/7224/how-do-ts-s-view-cd-s

• January 14, 2015 4:54 PM GMT

And before I leave you all in peace here is another one.

http://gendersociety.com/forums/topic/9877/cd-tv-ts-what-is-the-difference

And for the record I am no martyr. I happen to care about people.

• January 15, 2015 7:51 AM GMT

Well, that went well... 

Seriously though.

Thank you to everyone who participated. I really appreciate your assistance, candour and support.

I will start working on the article right away.

Let's hope it is good enough for publication. Cool 

Hugs and thanks,

Daniella

• 2358 posts
    January 15, 2015 4:39 PM GMT

I have edited out all posts that were irelevant, confrontational, insulting  and the resulting counter posts.     Venting is not acceptable. and your wasting your time.

• 746 posts
    January 15, 2015 6:30 PM GMT

*like*  xoxo

• January 16, 2015 2:29 PM GMT

Hi All,

I have consulted with my editor and due to the slightly disappointing response (maybe 2 days was a bit too short) she has given me an extension on the story YAY ME!

So, I will be keeping this survey active until such time as I meet my target number of respondents.

Please take the time to reply.

Your participation will increase our knowledge and understanding of our community.

Thanks in advance,

Daniella

• January 16, 2015 2:55 PM GMT

Hi all

Just so you know I did take your advice wrt the poll but I can't get the poll layout to support the reposnses I need so we are stuck with it being here.

Sorry.

D

• 178 posts
    January 16, 2015 6:49 PM GMT

Thinking about it, it is NOT out of your hands after you submit it and have it reproduced by GS in any form.

You grant GS a licence, as it were, to publish it wherever they see fit.  That does not prevent you, the copyright holder, from publishing it elsewhere as your original work.

So, any comments?

As newspaper and magazine contributor, I have been close to being burned several times!

I'd love to contribute, but re-assure me about where you might send it!

• January 16, 2015 7:01 PM GMT
    I have no intention of publishing it anywhere else than Frock.