Still fighting fit....

• 2017 posts
    February 24, 2015 8:24 PM GMT

I had some good news today. Those of you who know me, will know that I love keeping myself fit, and so recently I started training for trialthons as I wanted a new challenge. Now, being TS always brings issues in sport as some of you know, so I was really pleased today to hear that I could compete in my new gender. I decided it would be better to be up front about it and contacted the organisors who came back to me today to say that they have no issues with it at all. I am not allowed to be awarded a top 3 medal but at my age I don't think that there is much chance of that! 

I can't wait until race day now. Woohoo!! 

• February 24, 2015 8:51 PM GMT

The only race I am in Nikki is the human race. I have no clue what position I am Smile.

I wish you all the best and good luck.

Take care xxx

• 1652 posts
    February 25, 2015 1:13 AM GMT
    As they say - it's not the winning that counts, it's the taking part.
    I'd be happy with a gentle swim, but one out of three ain't bad...
    xx
    • 5 posts
    February 25, 2015 12:21 PM GMT

Well done It will be a lot harder than it was competing in your old gender if as I have lack of testosterone  has weakened your muscles I have lost about half my strength since since my body stopped producing any

• 106 posts
    February 25, 2015 2:33 PM GMT
    Good luck with your training and race.
    • 2017 posts
    February 25, 2015 6:28 PM GMT

Thank you everyone, for you comments of support. I am really looking forward to it. 

Anita - yes I am weaker but I would be unable to achieve the sort of results I would have expected 20 years ago anyway, even without changing my gender. Age would have slowed me down to some degree so I believe that overall, I am probably on par with where I can expect to be. 

I have trained all my life so have always maintained a good level of fitness and these days I train on the military base where I work. I am regularly up against soldiers in their 20's and I can still beat a good deal of them so I am happy with where I am.  

I will let you all know how it went, after the event. 

• February 25, 2015 6:45 PM GMT

Good luck. Triathlons are hard work and everyone I know who has competed in them found them both challenging and rewarding. I hope the same for you.

Millicent

• 2017 posts
    February 26, 2015 3:32 PM GMT

Thak you Millicent, I know I will enjoy it. The biggest hurdle was buying all of the necessary equipment. Triathlons aren't cheap! 

• 146 posts
    February 27, 2015 11:35 AM GMT

Hi Nikki,

Great well done ,thats the way to go. Just about to do my training  cycle followed by run. Unfortunately I had a bout of Plantar Fasciitis ,which meant I could not run and wlking was really painful for the last 8 months. Fortunately it seems to have cleared up in the last 3weeks or so as my doctor had said.  I will not be wearing any hard shoes from now on. The proper Triathlon Cycles are expensive, which I have not got . Anyway I get by with my heavy mountain  bike with its shopping frame.,    Love Donna

• 2017 posts
    February 27, 2015 2:02 PM GMT

Hi Donna, 

I hpoe you are able to get back into your training soon, good luck with that. It's so annoying when you have to take a break from it because of injury. 

Yes, the bike's are expensive but by shopping around you can usually come across something less pricey, though I won't say 'cheap' as they still cost quite a lot. Then there's the trisuit, wetsuit, helmet, etc. It's all worth it though if it's something you enjoy. I already had most of the gear anyway as I already Swim, Cycle and run but have just never put them all together before. (My cycling was mostly mountain biking).

• 146 posts
    February 27, 2015 3:58 PM GMT

Hi Nikki,

Well Training ride and run didnt go as plan, .

Cycle ride-45 min cycle ride took 50 min, and seemed tougher than usual-only at the end when I checked the bike did I understand why , the front brake was not released fully -DOH. I unjammed it and it will be okay next time.

Run- at the end of the cycle ride ,one of my neighbours  teenage son stopped me and said there was Sheep in the field that could not get up . In the Sussex area , I know there are some breeds of sheep that can get bloated and have a stomach problem .it can be fatal , The solution is to pick them up and out them on their feet.  I said I would help as i was just going for a run by the field. Then my neighbours Mum arrived, so she siad she often did this for the sheep. I was surprised as its close to Lambing time and thought it was potentially dangerous as the sheep are not yopur property. But Apparently she told me it was Okay , the shepard had thanked her before. So the usual run had a detour , but when we got there the sheep had managed to get itself up . - After that I did my "normal" run. Its fun to run in the countryside.

Triathlon with Mehanical repair and Animal rescue -- on the swmming front the closest I am getting today is making Fish Pie

• February 27, 2015 5:54 PM GMT

I think you are all madSmile in a nice way. You are all welcome to join the only race I am in "The human one" You will all beat me . I did do a Marathon once but did not enjoy it as I do not like Chocolate. They have changed the name to Snickers now but I will never do a Snickers. I can handle a fish pie thoughSmile.

You all take care , I think you need to , xx