Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » Genital transplants, applications for sex reassignement surgery?

Genital transplants, applications for sex reassignement surgery?

Tags : None
  • Surgeons in South Africa have announced the first successful penile transplant. 

I wonder if there are applications for srs here?

https://daniellaargento.wordpress.com/2015/03/14/genital-transplants-a-new-horizon/

March 14, 2015 10:30 AM GMT
  • As you seem to not have the time would you like me to type the story below?.

March 15, 2015 4:57 PM GMT
  • I read this elsewhere today and was surprised at the 'outrage' by many medical professionals. There was also no mention whatsoever of it being used to help FtM transsexuals. It was, oddly, described as being like a hand transplant, unnecessary to save life and only useful to improve quality of life. Surely, quality of life is important!!!!!

On an equality of life viewpoint, if MtF transsexuals can have vagina's, which to be honest, isn't a necessity but certainly improves our lives, why can't a penis transplant be used for FtM's to improve their quality of life? It doesn't seem to even be a consideration at the moment. Maybe that will change. I hope so. 

They were also growing penis's in the lab, so could a person donate their genes to have one grown for someone? Now that would be useful. 

Check Ebay, maybe someone will be selling theirs............ Tongue out

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      March 16, 2015 5:31 PM GMT
  • Hi Nikki.

It has been in the news but you made the error of clicking on the link. This is not a forum topic it is a ploy to get you to look at another website.

The person who posted the link could have just written the story here just like "Real" Members do.

Take care xx

March 16, 2015 11:50 PM GMT
  • You are so right Nikki. 

But there are probably some legitimate medical difficulties using this in srs right now. I can only think it is difficult to attache the right nerves to each other and that if you were transplanting a penis onto a FtM patient this would be so much more difficult: are all the 'right' nerves present, are there more or less nerves? which ones go where etc... ditto for blood vessels,

But I do think thsi could be explored.

It seems a no brainer to me!

And yes using stem cells to engineer organs may be even better! But still requires a lot of thought wrt what goes where.

AND I think there may be something in the vagina thing as well. Surely a 'real' vagina is better than one 'crafted' out of tissue. Less chance for damaging the tissue etc? Also it could be 'proper' functioning vagina (self lubricating, self cleaning, self stretching etc) which must surely be an improvement?

Then if you can transplant the 'macro' organs, why not also transplant the 'micro' sex organs (testes, ovaries etc) this would allow the body to regulate its own hormones etc... Very interesting! But again I can see how it would be VERY complicated...

March 17, 2015 8:42 AM GMT
  • D Argento.

I have taken away my financial support for this website and leaving here as a protest to your forum topics which are in fact just links to your personal website. Feel free to contribute the financial loss to The Gender Society by hitting the donate button. I think 200 GBP Will be a nice sum.

This post was edited by Lucy Diamond at March 17, 2015 11:45 PM GMT
      March 17, 2015 10:42 AM GMT
  • Actually, I didn't click on any links but read it in the news that morning. I never click on links but find the news for myself just in case of any malicious virus's hidden in them. 

It will be interesting to follow the progress of the research though. 

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      March 18, 2015 7:53 PM GMT
  • I imagine stitching such an item onto existing male anatomy would be considerably more straightforward than trying to fit it to female parts. So I don't think there will be any applications of this prcodeure in F2M surgery in the near future.

Ther may also be a shortage of donors...

Still, surgery is always moving forward, one way or another SRS results are only going to better, and mine were pretty good :)

xx

March 20, 2015 5:47 PM GMT