Helping each other.

• March 14, 2015 10:03 PM GMT

As a website that is here to offer support could it be possible to extend that to helping others find work and accommodation too?.

I cannot name the member but I am trying my best to help someone here with both but I cannot do it alone. Could there be a list of members here that have spare rooms to rent?. I have given the names of 2 companies that I know do take on transwomen with no problems and there are more that have asked me to work there (They are bonkersSmile).

A lot of us pulled together to help Amy which was a lost cause but it proved you can help if the other person can also help themselves.

Any ideas anyone?. If this website can allow freeloaders to blatantly advertise their own websites then surely you can help genuine people in need. A home and work are two basic things people need to live a normal life.

Take care xx

This post was edited by Former Member at March 15, 2015 5:41 PM GMT
    • 178 posts
    March 15, 2015 7:29 PM GMT

Julie, dear friend,  Why was Amy a lost cause?

That aside I have an affinity for your idea.  Any members out there have any ideas how we could make that work.  Do we need a social needs section on the forum, with a dedicated moderator?

Come one everyone - can we have some comments please?

• March 15, 2015 7:47 PM GMT

Hi Amanda.

Amy was not willing to help herself and just expected others to help. I still have the Email from The Tampa Bay Times telling me that only Amy can help Amy. Those were the words of the jounalist who wrote the story. She was offered rooms and turned them down , she was offered money and took it. Again those were the words of the journalist. All of us who helped her were just helping her stay in her car. She used her Cat as an excuse for not taking rooms. The cat could have lived in the car and Amy could have taken a room. In her situation the cat has to come second not first .

Take and look after your self and your Cat too but she is human xxx

• 2017 posts
    March 16, 2015 5:20 PM GMT

I can only speak for the UK really but I do know that there are a number of companies actively seeking diversity in there workforce. Stonewall has recently published it's list of the top 100 and while this is focused on LGB, most of the companies accept the 'T' as being part of that and do not discriminate. If you look up a company's policy on recruitment, gender reassignment is up there with age, marital status, gender, disability etc as a protected status not to be discriminated against. I now it's easy to say and equally easy for employers to avoid but it is improving vastly. 

I would suggest looking at local authorities as they have robust equal opportunities policies and are usually keen to be seen implementing them. 

• 2017 posts
    March 18, 2015 7:57 PM GMT

Just a quick update to this thread. I was interviewed for a new job today, and was accepted there on the spot! Woohoo for me! 

The company isn't a local autority but their core business is fostering and social work so they are very similar in their attitude to embracing diversity.