Daniella's story

• September 6, 2004 5:10 PM BST
    For as long as I can remember i have identified myself as a girl. The first time a can remember wearing female apparel was at age six. I have very clear memories of taking my mothers' stockings and wearing them under my regular clothes. I had to hide them and then sneak them on at school because at that age my mother would help dress me before school. I was always very envious of the girls because they got to wear such cute clothes. I was esp. fond of white tights and little velvet dresses. I finally came to terms with myself around age sixteen after my older brother told me that he was gay. I took comfort in this even though i never considered myself gay, it made me feel okay with being transgendered. I was secretive for two more years before i finally came out to friends and some family. The burdon had finally been lifted. Now i could dress openly but now came the challenge of finding a girlfriend who would accept my femininity. It was actually very easy as long as i was honest from the beginning and assured them that i was just a lesbian trapped in a boys body. My girlfriend and i have been together for four years now and we have lots of fun together dressing up, doing each others makeup and having a very exiting sex life.

BTW for anyone who says that being gay,lesbian,tg/tv is a choice and not the way you were born, please tell me of the first time when you had to make the choice not to be gay or lesbian. Tell me about the time you decided not to wear clothing of the opposite gender. If you can than welcome to the club because you are one of us. Daniella
  • September 12, 2004 7:36 PM BST
    My first memory was of when I was six seeing the convent schoolgirls wearing their gymslips and black tights and wishing I could be able to dress like them!
    My first dressing that I recall was probably when I was about 8 or 9 when I found a gorgeous green silk dress that my mother had got but she never wore.
    For some reason I loved the feel of it and had an irresistible urge to put it on.

Then I saw a photo of a gorgeous model in a Sunday newspaper wearing a black polo neck sweater and sheer black pantyhose and I had to copy her look.
    Fortunately I managed to find a black belt that enabled me to make my waist suitably wasp-like.
    Sadly, I didn't get the chance to wear heels back then!

Try as I might I couldn't cure the habit, despite involvement in football.........(fortunately my long legs remained determinedly unmuscular) and when I was 15 I found myself dreaming of being able to dress in the uniform of the local convent schoolgirls: one gorgeous blonde, in particular, was allowed wear sheer golden-tan pantyhose with her red and green uniform,........(in contrast to the ugly 'green tights' of her schoolmates), and I found myself dreaming of having the opportunity to dress like her, and have many secret admirers.

Fortunately,.........I've had many wonderful opportunities since then!
  • September 23, 2004 1:52 AM BST
    Daniella I have to make the choice of to wear or not to wear female cloths almost every day it is very hard to do 9 time out of 10 I have to chouse not to because my parents still don't understand and they never will
    • 1980 posts
    September 6, 2004 8:30 PM BST
    Hi Daniella-

Thank you for sharing, I think your story is more a less a reprise of how a lot of us grew up. I, too, learned at an early age to suppress my feminine feelings and be constantly on gaurd against what I always call FSL, Femme Side Leakage.<lol>

As far as any of us around here calling homosexuality or GID a "lifestyle choice" I don't think that's going to happen. You may choose, by a great exercise of will not to express it, but you can't change it or make it go away. And trying to suppress it comes with a great psychic and emotional price that must be paid sooner or later.

While I'm still up on this hobby horse, I have to say that people who call it a "choice" must be blind or just plain stupid. If you had a choice would you choose to put up with all the hostility, pain and misunderstanding that society puts you through? Please don't misunderstand, I'm not saying I would choose to not be who I am, but I don't think many people would voluntarily decide to choose it, either. Some of us are lucky and have supportive family, friends and loved ones, but for many it is a difficult and many times painful path.

Hugs, Joni from Oregon