Inclusive Church

• 19 posts
    March 5, 2023 10:21 PM GMT
    This is a Christian organisation that supports minority groups within churches. Most obviously LGBTQIA+, but any minority really. As their mission statement says, they believe in "a church which celebrates and affirms every person and does not discriminate." Their membership includes churches across the country and also individuals (I am one of these). For more information about them, see https://www.inclusive-church.org/.

In my area, not many churches are members of Inclusive Church. One of them (a middle-of-the-road Anglican church, let's call it Church A) joined in 2008 under the leadership of a progressive minister. I was also a member of this church at that time. Fast forward to 2021 and this church is in decline. It has a large building but a small congregation and it is no longer financially viable. Up the hill is another Anglican church (a thriving evangelical church, let's call it Church B), with a small building and a large congregation. The bishop put two and two together and came up with the idea that the two churches should merge into one parish. Then they could all fit into the large building and be as one, with a range of traditional and modern services. After much joint work, the merger has been approved and it will formally take effect at the start of 2024.

As might be expected, some conflicts arose along the way. These have all been resolved in favour of Church B. One of these is that Church A should withdraw from the Inclusive Church movement. The reason given for this in the official documentation is that Church B regards itself as "inclusive with a small i" and that it is possible to be inclusive without being a member of Inclusive Church. One might say in response that it's possible to be inclusive and support Inclusive Church. It's rather like the Prime Minister saying the good thing about the Northern Ireland deal is that the Province now has access to the European Single Market.

The real reason, which is not officially stated, is that Church B regards homosexuality as sinful and cannot tolerate any association with an organisation that supports gay people. I actually understand this position although I don't agree with it. What I don't like is the dishonesty that hides the true reason behind an artificial and intellectually-weak facade.

I left Church A just over a year ago. There were other reasons for this and it pre-dated the shocking decision regarding Inclusive Church. I am now in a much happier place elsewhere in the area – though I'm not sure Ariane will ever appear as herself, even there.
    This post was edited by Ariane Durand at June 10, 2023 12:13 PM BST
    • 106 posts
    June 10, 2023 12:14 PM BST
    I am sorry that you had to leave Chruch A but happy that you are happy with yourself.  I am glad that my regligon is being a Jedi since 2001.