Suzi Izzard

• 2127 posts
    April 3, 2023 4:11 PM BST
    File:Eddie Izzard comes to Crouch End.jpg - Wikimedia Commons What does the team think about Eddie Izzard's decision to change his name to Suzy (when it suits him)?

• 19 posts
    April 3, 2023 4:34 PM BST
    First, I would defend his right to call himself anything he wants, as long as the name isn't offensive. I like the name Suzy. 

Second, just speaking for myself, I prefer to use a female name in female mode and a male name in male mode. It avoids confusion. I am fairly new in Ariane mode and my friends sometimes get it wrong. But it will become easier over time.

Obviously if I was called Alex or Lesley or Evelyn, I could use the same name in either mode. But I am not so blessed. As it happens I have to be in male mode most of the time. Eddie has had the courage to identify as who he is, so he can be in girl mode whenever he wants.

Maybe his decision to call himself Suzy is a sign that he is identifying more and more with the female side of his persona. I would support that. But then I prefer female to male in most things anyway.

Well done to all trans ambassadors.
    • 171 posts
    June 28, 2023 7:12 PM BST
    Hi KatieAre you being intentionally provocative here, by saying 'when it suits him?'I think she has been nervously encroaching towards public acceptance of being a transwoman rather than everyone's accessible and favourite trans-comedian for a while now. So let's give her support and credit.I for one know that acceptance, understanding and emerging can take, well a lifetime.HugsRachel x
    This post was edited by Rachel de Blanc at June 30, 2023 9:26 AM BST
    • 2127 posts
    August 29, 2023 7:14 AM BST
    I wasn't trying to be provocative. It's just that Eddie Izzard has until now, not said he wants to be known as she or as they (as far as I am aware).  I could be wrong.  Perhaps I am not across this well enough to comment which is why I made it a question, in the hope that those who know more could enlighten the rest of us.