Hi!

• January 8, 2005 9:07 PM GMT
    Hey Joanna!

I'm a 22 year old TGirl from Sligo, and I once actually went out dressed in Athlone!! I also go out shopping (dressed as Suzy) in Dublin sometimes and love to go clubbing in dublin.

You should mail me sometime. Also, when I first came out (online) a few years ago I set up a group for young irish trans - check it out:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/youngirishtransvestites

Hope to hear from ya
    • 3 posts
    January 1, 2005 10:02 PM GMT
    Hi im a 15 yo tranny from athlone in ireland.I'v had t/v feelings urges since i was about 7 or 8.but have only realised what these feelings where in the last couple of years and only come to accept them within the last year.i've been dressing in my sisters and mothers clothes for sometime now,but have not come out yet as my family would never accept it and have made insulting remarks about other trannys.Any of you girls have advice on what i should do next
    • 430 posts
    January 2, 2005 12:41 AM GMT
    Joanne sweetheart,

you are only 15. I wouldn't worry to hard about things. Your family may think differently if it were you who they knew to be a tranny, but 15 is not a time where you need to worry. What I would do if you have the courage is let a girlfriend know. I am asuming you girlfriends rather than boys here, I think alot of us did. She'd need to be one you can trust. If not see a counciller that you can rely on. That way you will not have a guilt complex. I wish I knew what I was when I was your age myself, then I might not have joined the army but became a stewardess like I want now.

Athlone, I don't remember but I think its a small place so maybe not a great place to start being out and proud. Hey Dublin was scary enough for me as the Irish are very forward! What I think might help is if you speek to someone and go on adventures into Dublin. Theres buses thta go right down the N6 that will get you there and see what you really feel like. Just do things slowly to find out what you feel. Its no point rushing as there isn't alot a 15 yr old can do for herself really. If you keep working on it and slowly become more girly people won't notice anymore and just think of it as you.

Its a scary thing to do, but there lots of options. I have writen a few but need you to tell me your situation with a little more deatail to help anymore really. these are just some of what I do if I had known at 15 and yet still have my knowledge now.
  • January 2, 2005 8:42 PM GMT
    Hey honey,

im from ireland as well, up north in belfast, i'm only 19 and have never been out dressed but i have went shopping a few times, Fiona's advice is pretty sound, tell a councellor at school or someone who you know you can trust with your secret until you want to tell everyone, your only 15 so dont worry too much about keeping it a secret for a while longer, most of the girls on trannyweb have loads of advice to give and are very supportive, just watch out for the weirdos. Maybe when you are a little older you should definetly go to dublin or there abouts so you will have the freedom to dress and walk around freely. Well have a happy new year and if you have either msn or yahoo feel free to add me to your friends list, the details are on my profile.

Laura xoxo
    • 3 posts
    January 4, 2005 2:55 PM GMT
    Thanks girls for your advice
    • 2463 posts
    January 4, 2005 7:41 PM GMT
    Joanne, like you I was sneaking dressing when I was your age. I had to be so careful because to be caught would have been the kiss of death. As has been said, there might be a few trusted souls with whom you may confide. But don't let these feelings get you down, like Fi said.

While it is true I still must be closeted, I have told some of my friends and they've been great about it. Every now and then I can joke about it to my wife, although she'll never get over it (which I can understand). We're all here if you need anything. Don't be afraid to ask us anything.

As for Athlone, while I have never been to Ireland, I do know that a great Chicago labor leader was born there - John Fitzpatrick (Wow, that's a Chinese name, isn't it?). He was one of the greatest and is still well admired more than 60 years after his passing.