Linux/Firefox/Java (DigiChat)

• February 20, 2005 10:32 AM GMT
    Hi Girls,

Out of the 12 sisters on TW who use Linux, the 7 of which using Firefox, and the 3 of which haven't got Java working and want to. This is for you I have just figured it out and thought I would save some others the time.

It is really simple when you know how, but like the questions on Millionaire, its only easy when you know the answer.

You need to create a symbolic (sym) link in Firefox's plugins directory which points at the JRE plugin.

Step 1: Change directory to the Firefox plugins directory

cd [Firefox_Home]/plugins/

Where [Firefox_Home] = the path where you installed Firefox

Step 2: Create the sym link to the JRE plugin

ln -s [JRE_Home]/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Where [JRE_Home] = the path where you installed the Java Runtime Environment

Thats it, your done, Enjoy.

Hugs,

Katherine
  • February 20, 2005 12:43 PM GMT
    Nice to see some linux support.

Katherines solution is perfectly correct. I suffered the same problem myself a year ago before spending an hour working it out.
  • February 20, 2005 7:14 PM GMT
    Like everything on AirLinus, you have to build your seat before you can take the flight but thats why we love it, right girls? :s

BTW, if you want to configure the Plugin, run the following:

[JRE_Home]/bin/ControlPanel

Hugs,

Katherine
    • 338 posts
    February 24, 2005 9:17 PM GMT
    now this me has gotta try..

I've got most things going with mozilla.. never java, the instructions on setting it up are great, cept the bit about settng it up which they forgot.

Still got SuSE 8.1, though i've just downloaded slackware 10.1 which is staring at me begging me to install it.. the JRE i've got crashed mozilla EVERY SINGLE time, even when setup elsewhere and symlinked.

mumble mumble mumble...

this def one for the FAQ at its next revision methinks..

babes ya an enchantress!
  • February 28, 2005 7:36 AM GMT
    Please let us know how you get on Clair and if you do fall to temptation to install Slackware 10.1 I would be interested to know your opinion of it. I used to use Slacware back at version 8 or so, but know I have weakened to MDK 10

Hugs,

Katherine
    • 338 posts
    February 28, 2005 9:42 PM GMT
    slackware 10.1 installed.. runs way fast, always had a softspot for it.. need to get me book on configuration out methinks.

only downside, and it is prettymuch the only downside, a lot of software is in rpm format format only.. which is 'doable' but a pain.

me gunna stick with it in parallel to my suse setup.. cus with slackware if it breaks ya can fix it, cus ya set it up in the first place.. me likes it.

mdk... argh....
    • 22 posts
    May 29, 2006 10:27 PM BST
    If it is 12 sisters then it's bemore now and I'm joining too 'cos I've started using it. Having successfuly interefered with my desktop and dual boots for ubuntu/win, I'm planning on doing the same to my laptop with Suse. After hours on the flight simulator, now I'm going to fly the real thing.Woohay! At least that 's what it feels like.
    • 338 posts
    May 30, 2006 6:23 PM BST
    nice to see linux is still holding its head up. i've still got it installed as a server os (old suse, i gave up on slackware). but vb.net and a very cheap deal on office 2003 (18 quid) dragged me back to xp.

though the fact my 100% legit copy of windows is flagged as a pirate copy, and microsofts attitude can be summed up as 'tough' prob means experiments with vmware on my next machine to allow a linux base.

ho hum.

where would we be without duct tape...