I am confused

• April 14, 2005 3:40 PM BST
    I have been crossdressing since an early age starting with my mums clothes then moving on to my sisters.I have been through phases of dressing regularly and then going months without but I always seem to return to the dressing.Twice now I have thrown everything femme away.The last time was only a couple of months ago.The wig shoes,dresses,makeup the lot but I can't get the thought of crossdressing out of my head.I am even thinking of going back to the dress shop and starting again.
    So I find myself back here asking for advice from anyone who has or is going through the same as me.
    • 588 posts
    April 14, 2005 5:02 PM BST
    Andrea,

I've have had some "purgings" - especially in my late teens. And I must say: Looking back today a couple of them seems like attempts at literally burying my true self. As for advice: If you do manage accepting yourself the chances are that your dressing will become more relaxed and enjoyable. My experience is that moving towards an androgynous appearance in everyday life - not having to supress your feelings into small and overly intense releases - could be part of a selfintegrating process.

Linda
  • April 25, 2005 9:13 PM BST
    I started with my mum clothes as a teenager couldnt wait for the hoiuse to myself
    my mum three shoe sizes bsmaller than me
    one pair of peep toe red heels fitted
    my mum wore stockings as weel yes she had this black basqye i used to wear.
    ASn way my wife too small none of her clothes fit me
    i too try and denier it and drift in and out of it
    I have recently tryed on high heels in a shop first time
    biy did it feel good
    new look great as no sales assistant al;ways scares me off
    both shoes out to try
    have boughta pair yet or told my wife
  • May 18, 2005 12:04 PM BST
    First of all I would like to thank you all for your advice.
    I have spent hours reading posts in all the forums and blogs,trying to find answers to all my questions.The desire to be en-femme has come back stronger than ever before. Unfortunetley as I have thrown everything away I am going to have to start from scratch.I have even had to change my name as my wife who is not supportive started questioning some of the mail arriving at my house addressed to a female.
    We had separated for short period of time earlier this year and I moved away.Now she has moved back in with me and the tv/ts subject is never spoken about as she will never accept my femme side,she just blocks it out completely.All I have to come to terms with is that stepping out of the closet now is further away than it was before.
    • 2573 posts
    April 14, 2005 7:53 PM BST
    Andrea,
    You are a crossdresser (at least). There is nothing wrong with you. Enjoy it. The dressing/purging is an approach/avoidance issue. When your need to dress is relieved or situational stress re crossdressing increases, your guilt/fear causes you to purge....they become stronger than the need to crossdress. Later, the balance shifts (God know's why, none of us do) and you need to dress again. Traditionally it has been thought of as psychodynamic but my theory is it is like a transistor gate where the right signal opens a closed pathway and initiates a different part of the circuit. (I'm a biologist and studied electronics a bit). Sometimes the gate stays open or develops a "switch" which you can operate as the mood takes you. Such "switches may explain secondary transexualism where someone "becomes" TS later in life. Remember, the hard wiring in our brains is a bit shoddy (please refer all complaints to the OEM..."Hey! Mom. Dad. I have a bone to pick with you."

Anyway, your describe behavior pattern is classic crossdresser behavior. You sound like a normal crossdresser to me. By the way, you will ALWAYS be transgendered so....when crossdressing is inevitable, relax and enjoy it. Hmmm, when shopping is inevitable, relax and enjoy it. Don't throw out your femme side. The only thing wrong with you is that you think there is something wrong with you.

<Hugs> Welcome to Trannyweb, sister.
    • 2627 posts
    April 14, 2005 5:10 PM BST
    Hello Andrea I'm a c/d - t/v whatever not sure of difference if there is one. I have done the same in the past for different reasons. Meeting a new girl, moving back home, or thinking it was wrong. I was never able to purge my mind of it. I have been living alone for about 4yrs. I bought some nightgowns & started sleeping in them everynight. Than I started looking up tranny stories & pics on my pc. In my mind I thought I was a little pervert. But I wasn't getting a sexual pleasure from it, it just felt good. Well it did use to be sexual in nature at first. Than I found Tweb. I've learnd a lot about it & I started feeling good about myself again. Wanting to look & feel like a woman is a part of who I am. Like having a left & a right hand. I do still get confused at times not knowing how far I'm going to go. I am still learning who I am realy. But if I enjoy something without harming someone else. Why shouldn't I do it.
    • 2463 posts
    April 14, 2005 5:32 PM BST
    Andrea,
    As some have pointed out, but in different (and very wise) words, you are fluctuating between shame and self-acceptance. As Shan said, DO NOT throw anything out again. Just lock them up in a trunk somewhere. You will want to dress again, and you will also save yourself some money.

What you are going through is not unique. But being TG is, as so many here have so eloquently pointed out, a state of mind. We might not be dressed on a particular day, but it doesn't mean we have forgotten who we are.

What else can we do to help you through this?

Meredith
    • 1980 posts
    April 14, 2005 7:46 PM BST
    Hi Andrea-

Please listen to Meredith, don't throw away your clothes and wigs and makeup the next time you decide to purge, pack them carefully and neatly in a large cardboard box and mail them to me. I'll be happy to send you my address offlist. What size do you wear, hon, just out of curiosity?

Oh, I'm only kidding. Seriously, Andrea, the advice that Shan, Linda, Karen and Meredith have given you is some of the best advice you're going to get because it's advice from people who lived it and who have gone through and are going through what you are going through. Personally I have purged so many times it's not even funny, when I think of all the cute outfits I've tossed into dumpsters in the middle of the night I could just cry. If I had kept them all I'd have a huge wardrobe, a little dated maybe, but still.

Hon, you can't change who you are deep inside. Yes, you can fight it off, you are the master (mistress?) of whether you express those feelings or not. You can choose never to dress again and you may be able to white knuckle it out for the rest of your life, but those feelings won't go away, no matter how hard you try. One of the hardest things we can do and one of the best is to accept ourselves for who we are. There is nothing in and of itself about being TG that is harmful to ourselves or others. It's only when we choose to deny and hide who we are that the harm is done.

Andrea, in my opinion TW is probably the best place on the web to get advice about TG issues from people who really know what they're talking about. I'm not saying we're always right and I'm not saying that someone couldn't take exception to the things I just said or that Shan, Linda, Karen and Meredith have said, they're only our opinions based on the experiences we have lived through. I hope you'll stick around, if nothing else you will find that you have moved to a higher and more informed level of confusion.<lol>

Hugs, Joni from Oregon
    • 1652 posts
    April 15, 2005 12:53 AM BST
    some good advice there i think, andrea. not much i can add but i want you to know that you're not alone, there are lots of us out there.
    as has been said, there is nothing wrong with crossdressing, it's just a form of self-expression, so enjoy it and don't feel ashamed or guilty about it. it is a natural part of you, be happy to be yourself.
    xx
    • 2463 posts
    May 18, 2005 1:39 PM BST
    Andrea, give her more time. For a while there I went through something similar with my wife, although I never moved out. My forum posts and blogs have detailed all this so I won't be repeating it. Right now if not talking about it with your wife is the best way, then follow that path. She may bring it up on her own when she's more comfortable discussing the topic.

Not to promote deception, but if you really want to receive mail to "Andrea," can you take out a post office box? But, again, this could backfire if found out.

Stepping out of the closet is such a huge move. I'm still mostly inside it, and I doubt I'll ever be fully out because of my own personal situation. As Sandra always points out, once you're out you can't undo it.

Take care and let us know how else we can help. If anything, please stay here at TW and talk about it. We'll listen.
    • 2068 posts
    May 18, 2005 10:49 PM BST
    andrea honey, i know we've had our differences in the past and i admit i have said some pretty harsh things...but i want you to know that despite what's happened, i want you to know that if you EVER need any advice then i will be more than willing to give it to you.that's a PROMISE!..love and xxxxxx anna-marie
    • 2068 posts
    May 18, 2005 10:49 PM BST
    andrea honey, i know we've had our differences in the past and i admit i have said some pretty harsh things...but i want you to know that despite what's happened, i want you to know that if you EVER need any advice then i will be more than willing to give it to you.that's a PROMISE!..love and xxxxxx anna-marie