Would love advise on coming out

• August 30, 2005 5:03 AM BST
    I think as a woman and always have. I love it when I'm dressed as the girl that I am and I'm ready to go full time. I just don't how to start. Any advice?
    [email protected]
    • 121 posts
    August 30, 2005 9:15 AM BST
    Hi Ricki-I would just like to say as a ts girl myself that what both Joni and Sandra say is absolutely right.xxxx Alli.
    • 1980 posts
    August 30, 2005 5:46 AM BST
    Hi Ricki-

First off, when you say you want to go fulltime I assume that means you intend to come out to everyone in your life, family, employer, co-workers, friends, etc. How many of them know about Ricki already? Have you told anyone at all? Have you any idea about how they would handle it? Would you face resistance or even outright hostility from any of them, are you ready to face it if it arises?

These are questions I've been asking myself, too, since I can feel myself approaching that place in my life also. If you're married, have you told your wife, do your kids know, presuming you have some? I would start off by telling them about it if you haven't already, I don't think I would just show up at the breakfast table one morning dressed en femme.

I you're employed, does your employer have a policy regarding gender issues? What does it say? If they don't have one, how do you think they will handle it? Is there someone there, a senior employee or supervisor you can approach with it? Remember, once you disclose, especially in the work place you have no control over where the information will go. A supervisor may feel they have to further up with the information since it could impact other employees. How do you think co-workers will deal with it?

Are your friends and other social acquaintances ready to deal with something like this? How big a town do you live in? Big cities are easier than small towns to come out in.

Are you planning to have GRS/SRS? If so have you sought counseling? Are you putting money aside?

Ricki, these are just random thoughts and please don't feel that I'm bringing them up to discourage you. These are issues I may have to deal with myself. As I said, I can feel myself moving in that direction, too. My situation may be different, though, I'm less than a year away from retirment and even though I live in a small town, my wife and I are making plans to move when I do.

Good luck, no matter what. And I certainly hope some of the other girls will pitch in with better advice than mine.

Hugs....Joni